Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-Profile evaluation question (Tax Analyst)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Non-Profile evaluation question (Tax Analyst) [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 08:22
Hi Cindy&Linda,

Hope you are doing well .
I have been working as a tax analyst for quite sometime now in a Big4 and wanted to do my MBA in Finance and move on to management consulting (on the financial side) .
And I've been told that generally accounting / related job are not really given high importance/weightage by the Adcoms . So my question here is , Would being a Tax analyst , cause a problem/negative effect, as accounting jobs are not highly appreciated .
And being a Tax analyst in one country , would make me an expert in tax of a specific country . So to say , if i have to do an MBA from outside the country I am in , would that also cause a problem during the placements ?

Regards,

Fudge
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Non-Profile evaluation question (Tax Analyst) [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 13:49
Expert's post
Hello Fudge,

It’s a great question. Tax is not one of those “sexy” career areas, and the very word might seem to imply narrow focus. Yet every application has its challenges and opportunities. I suggest that rather than being defensive about your tax profession, take the opposite approach: be proud of it, delve into it, make it sexy and exciting. How do you do that? Show (through anecdote and example) what’s important about it – its huge impact on corporate financial strategy for example, its ethical ramifications, what it reveals about the various practitioners and their approaches to it within a corporation, what it reflects and how it influences the relationship between enterprise and the particular country… see what I mean? All quite interesting. It’s your job in the application to make your business come alive.

And that’s the case regardless of what country it is. If you’re applying to US programs and you’re writing about your tax work in another country, portray and elaborate on these issues and details for that country – the US adcoms will understand and learn from your discussion.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog