Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-standard letters of recommendation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Non-standard letters of recommendation [#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 08:45
Anyone here have experience with letters of recommendation that do not follow the standard that schools require? For example... if I want a politician I'm acquainted with to write one, or perhaps the CEO of my company; in each case they don't know me well enough or have the time to fill out the form provided by the school. However would it help if they write a letter vouching for my character/reputation? The people that I would ask to do this are famous.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 13:46
I don't have experience with non standard letters, however, let me share advice on getting letter from CEOs, politicians, etc.

Don't get a recommendation from someone who has not worked closely with you for some time. Getting a recommendation from a prominent figure won't actually work unless they have some specific examples of your work / attitudes / accomplishments, etc. to include.

I'd rather have a recommendation from a lowly boss that praises my performance and potential than a "Umm, yeah, the guy is solid...I think...well Mikey said so" from a CEO.

On the other hand, a letter from a CEO might make sense if he/she writes sth like: "X has been selected by our company as one of our top junior employees (top 10 out of 25,000 worldwide). He has been put into our special hotshot program and he'll be getting full sponsorship and a Manager / Director / VP / whatever position upon earning his MBA".

Hope it helps. L.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 14:08
lepium wrote:
I don't have experience with non standard letters, however, let me share advice on getting letter from CEOs, politicians, etc.

Don't get a recommendation from someone who has not worked closely with you for some time. Getting a recommendation from a prominent figure won't actually work unless they have some specific examples of your work / attitudes / accomplishments, etc. to include.

I'd rather have a recommendation from a lowly boss that praises my performance and potential than a "Umm, yeah, the guy is solid...I think...well Mikey said so" from a CEO.

On the other hand, a letter from a CEO might make sense if he/she writes sth like: "X has been selected by our company as one of our top junior employees (top 10 out of 25,000 worldwide). He has been put into our special hotshot program and he'll be getting full sponsorship and a Manager / Director / VP / whatever position upon earning his MBA".

Hope it helps. L.

I totally agree with Lepium. If the person does not know you well DO NOT get a recommendation from him/her. Its more valuable to get a recommendation from someone who knows you well and have enough examples to back up their claims than from a person of high stature.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 14:24
Most business schools specifically state that they want recommendations from people that have supervised your work directly. In fact, many give examples of CEOs or politicians as people who's recommendations will not be helpful.
  [#permalink] 04 May 2007, 14:24