Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-trad. background, career changer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 333 Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 53

Non-trad. background, career changer [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 11:18
I'm in the middle of writing application materials, and outside of a core group of 3 schools I'm excited about applying to, I'd like to add a few schools to my list that could be strong targets. I'd appreciate thoughts/advice on where I might be a strong fit based on my numbers, experience, and goals. My short list is below.

Basic Info
  • Demographics: 31, male, US citizen, white/middle eastern (my name is "ethnic" and stands out)
  • GRE: V170 (99th), Q163 (87th), AWA 5.5 (97th)
  • Undergrad: graduated from St John's College, tiny and very rigorous program with NO electives. Every student took every class. 4 years math, 3 years lab science, 4 years philosophy, 2 years Ancient Greek, 2 years French, 4 years literature. GPA is 3.47. No major-specific GPA because there were no electives. All seminar-style classes, no lectures.
  • Graduate: received a Master's in Education in 2012 from a program that was the first of its kind in the nation-- a graduate school of education embedded in a nationally-known charter school. Grades were pass/fail, and I obviously passed all of them.

Post-MBA Goals
  • Social-sector consulting for McKinsey or Bridgespan. This would leverage my experience in education and highlight the analytical/problem-solving skills that I've developed as a founder at the school. This work also supports my commitment to social good (supported by work exp. and leadership within work exp.)
  • From my research I've determined that social-sector consulting jobs can be hard to come by even from top schools. If that doesn't work out, I can see other consulting work being interesting as well (strategy or human capital). In the long term, I'm interested in entering the for-profit education space, as it's a $4 trillion/year industry worldwide with a lot of room to innovate.

Work Experience
  • In 2007 I was selected to be one of 12 teachers to help open a new private school in southern California. We designed the curriculum from the ground up. The student population and faculty have grown over 500% since we opened. Prior to that I worked in a smaller school as a teacher for 18 months. The prior school gets very little attention on my resume.
  • I've held a variety of leadership roles in the school: I've led teams, directed a service program, planned/led a community service trip to rural China for 92 9th graders, managed communication when the entire student population (~485 students at the time) traveled to six continents, and was selected to create/deliver a workshop for future teachers at a university in Germany (we were partnering with the school on a teacher exchange).
  • I've created five original courses and have been tapped for other curriculum redesign projects by senior administrators.
  • My resume shows a clear progression within the organization-- I've moved from inward-facing (team leader/curriculum design) to outward-facing, higher-risk roles (travel management, etc).
  • Reason for leaving: I've discovered my strengths lie in problem-solving and analysis. I want more challenges/room to grow than I can find at the school, as I don't want to be an administrator.

Recommendations:
  • One is from current supervisor, who is the co-head of the upper school. She and I work really well together and have collaborated on a range of projects. She'll speak to my analytical ability, qualities as a colleague, and potential for leadership.
  • Second is from the founding head of school who hired me in 2007 when I was 25 and retired last year. She can speak to the same qualities as my first recommender.
  • I'm providing both recommenders with bullet points to help frame my strengths/weaknesses.

School Qualities/Short List
  • Want an excellent general-management education. Strongly interested in case-method schools, as I thrive in discussion-based classes. I've been a student in one and teach in that style.
  • Open to any school nationwide
  • Will definitely apply: HBS, Kellogg, Darden. Each of these are a fit based on curriculum, teaching style, and career support/post-MBA feeder companies.
  • Am considering: UCLA, Haas, Duke, Stanford. I'm not sure how each of these schools might see someone with my background/interests.
  • Where else should I be looking?