Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-traditional background & Salary.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Non-traditional background & Salary. [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 06:55
I'll do my best to keep this short. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

My background:

-Graduated from a respectable school with an English degree. GPA 3.4
-Exclusively wrote and toured on music after graduation for 2+ years. I strongly consider this equal to running one's own business, as I was doing everything from Public Relations to Bookkeeping to Marketing.
-Went back to school to get my Audio Engineering certificate, where I took various math/science courses and business/marketing classes as well. GPA: 4.0
-During that time, I was writing website content for start-ups, utilizing SEO practices and working closely with the directors of digital marketing.
-For the last year, I have been working as an accounting clerk.

My plans:

-Going to do everything I can to get between a 680+ GMAT score.
- Went to go to either UT/RICE/SMU/TCU.
-Want to get a dual concentration in Marketing/Finance, but work in Marketing- very interested in the analytics side of marketing.

My questions/concerns:

-Since I will more than likely be taking on a sizable amount of debt to go back to school, and I do not have what you would call a 'solid formal' background, I'm wondering if this will prevent me from landing a good summer internship and a good job right out of school?

-I guess I want to know how warranted these concerns are. Am I harshly over thinking this now?

-The last thing I want to do is come out of school with 70k debt unable to land a job that makes more than $30-50k. For some reason, a lot of people in one of the other forums I've been going to seem to think this is common, especially if you don't have solid work experience prior to entering the program.

Again, any insight is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Non-traditional background & Salary. [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 10:49
Hi thepoetj,
Here are some stats that will clear your doubt:
Rice: 95% students got offers within 3 months after graduation. The average salary was $99,506.
TCU: 87% students got job offers within 3 months after graduation. The average salary was $81,331.
UT: 90% students got job offers within 3 months after graduation. The average salary was $78,107.
The average GMAT scores for the schools mentioned by you are around 680. If you could get that score then it will increase your chances. Your GPA supports your qualification for these schools.
Your profile is unique which shows you are a self-starter and, have an ability to multi-task. The admission committees look for people who have demonstrated leadership ability, multi-tasking ability and, who are results oriented. You have taken several initiatives but, try to explain the results that you achieved. What are the results you achieved during your music tour? You need to write your application essays carefully such that you communicate your point of view.

Best of Luck!
http://www.InterviewBay.com

Last edited by hamm0 on 17 Jun 2013, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Strikeout wrong data
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Non-traditional background & Salary. [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 13:03
InterviewBay2 wrote:
Hi thepoetj,
Here are some stats that will clear your doubt:
Rice: 95% students got offers within 3 months after graduation. The average salary was $99,506.
TCU: 87% students got job offers within 3 months after graduation. The average salary was $81,331.
UT: 90% students got job offers within 3 months after graduation. The average salary was $78,107.
The average GMAT scores for the schools mentioned by you are around 680. If you could get that score then it will increase your chances. Your GPA supports your qualification for these schools.
Your profile is unique which shows you are a self-starter and, have an ability to multi-task. The admission committees look for people who have demonstrated leadership ability, multi-tasking ability and, who are results oriented. You have taken several initiatives but, try to explain the results that you achieved. What are the results you achieved during your music tour? You need to write your application essays carefully such that you communicate your point of view.

Best of Luck!
http://www.InterviewBay.com

Actually UT-Austin is 92.5% employed 3 months out and 105k base salary. It's the best business school in Texas.
Re: Non-traditional background & Salary.   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2013, 13:03