Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non Traditional Profile: Request for Evaluation/Suggestion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Non Traditional Profile: Request for Evaluation/Suggestion [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 15:28
Hi,

I am an Indian female, aged 25 wish to apply for MBA 2012.
Hold a Bachelors of Design from NIFT in Accessory Design , Percentage is around 71%. Do not know my GPA.
Pursuing MA in Psychology (Distance)

Work Experience:
26 months with TANISHQ-India's largest jewellery retailer (OF TATA GROUP, India), Worked as a core team member to launch Tanishq in USA.
5 months experience in a couture design house as a senior jewellery designer
12 months experience as a freelance designer and selling designer jewellery through exhibitions in my city (Till Date)
(I have not earned much during while freelancing but this was more to explore the idea of entrepreneurship , but now I feel I can't launch my own chain of stores without an MBA, hence I wanna go for it)
Now since I am preparing for my GMAT, I am not able to take up any projects. (Will this affect negatively???)

Hobby: Modelling. Modelled for many photographers and few brands , mostly in print media.

Social work: Contributed by imparting vocational training to the poor and unprivileged women.
Helped poor craftsmen in reviving the crafts and making them more commercially viable through design intervention.

I am working for and now contemplating going on board of a for profit web based retailing firm as a social entrepreneur working towards fetching the best prices to craftsmen through internet sales and removing middlemen.
(Would this step benefit my application?)

Career Goals: Pursue an MBA degree and then launch my own designer label.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Non Traditional Profile: Request for Evaluation/Suggestion [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 21:42
akanksha1985 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian female, aged 25 wish to apply for MBA 2012.
Hold a Bachelors of Design from NIFT in Accessory Design , Percentage is around 71%. Do not know my GPA.
Pursuing MA in Psychology (Distance)

Work Experience:
26 months with TANISHQ-India's largest jewellery retailer (OF TATA GROUP, India), Worked as a core team member to launch Tanishq in USA.
5 months experience in a couture design house as a senior jewellery designer
12 months experience as a freelance designer and selling designer jewellery through exhibitions in my city (Till Date)
(I have not earned much during while freelancing but this was more to explore the idea of entrepreneurship , but now I feel I can't launch my own chain of stores without an MBA, hence I wanna go for it)
Now since I am preparing for my GMAT, I am not able to take up any projects. (Will this affect negatively???)

Hobby: Modelling. Modelled for many photographers and few brands , mostly in print media.

Social work: Contributed by imparting vocational training to the poor and unprivileged women.
Helped poor craftsmen in reviving the crafts and making them more commercially viable through design intervention.

I am working for and now contemplating going on board of a for profit web based retailing firm as a social entrepreneur working towards fetching the best prices to craftsmen through internet sales and removing middlemen.
(Would this step benefit my application?)

Career Goals: Pursue an MBA degree and then launch my own designer label.

Hi Akanksha,

Must say that you have a very diverse profile for an Indian female applicant. So, you stand good chances if you make the right selection of schools.

If you can target a 700 in GMAT then we see you in on of the top B schools. :)

Just make sure that you use every aspect of your profile well and your post MBA goals and the school you are applying to go well together.

Hope that helps

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Non Traditional Profile: Request for Evaluation/Suggestion [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 23:46
Dear AppHelp...

Thanks a lot for your encouraging reply! Means a lot as Im trying my best to score a 700!

Would you be able to recommend me which schools I can target?
I am interested in an MBA in Marketing and wish to join a consulting firm to gain some diverse experience.

And with 5 years of work ex (by the time I begin), which UK schools can I apply to?

I hope freelancing will be considered full time work ex? Seeking your reply on this.

Thanks,
Akanksha
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Non Traditional Profile: Request for Evaluation/Suggestion [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 23:57
You can target Oxford, Judge. Also check INSEAD and HEC Paris.

Yes, freelancing in your case will be considered as full time experience.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Re: Non Traditional Profile: Request for Evaluation/Suggestion   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2011, 23:57