Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non work Leadership in 3-4 months, anyone ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Non work Leadership in 3-4 months, anyone ? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 10:12
I'm getting ready to apply for R1 08. But I just do NOT have any leadership experience on my resume (work or non work). My work conditions do not provide enough opportunity for gaining any leadership experience (I'm 27, spent ~2.5 years doing my MS and ~2.5 years at job) so I am looking forward to get some outside of work.
Merely joining some social-work/non profit orgs. does not really count, and I guess everyone has such stuff his resume.
Any suggestions from already admitted people/engineers who were in the same boat last year as to what can be done in these 3 - 4 months?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 11:18
You don't need to be formally in charge to have leadership experience. Actually, a very valuable leadership experience is when you, as an analyst or any other "bottom of the pyramid" position, modify behaviours within the company or a group, create something new, propose some good idea or plan and help it come true by selling it internally, etc.

I'm afraid that when most people read leadership they automatically assume that it's limited to people who have formal authority over other people. But that's a fallacy, leadership can be exerted from any position within any organization.

Hope it helps. L.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 14:57
I agree with Lepium, most schools are looking for examples that show leadership potential or leadership behavior. Most schools understand that at 27 and 28, most incoming students don't have leadership experience.

I have a friend at HBS (you know, the LEADERSHIP school) and she said that the majority of people she knew there did not have formal leadership positions when they applied.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 18:12
It's really pretty rare for applicants to have supervisory experience. You can lead in a million different ways. And yes, outside activities DO count.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 18:35
Leadership is a quality. It is not a responsibility attached to a certain designation. Granted, leadership supposedly goes hand-in-hand with the job description as you move up the ladder, but you can display uniqueness and leadership irrespective of where you are in your career.

I am a 08 applicant and have heard others obsessing way too much about XC and volunteering.(Very similar to the obsession that some GMATers have for probability). I remember some good advice given by a former gmat clubber who is now in Wharton with a 20% scholarship to boot. His profile was the typical Indian profile. IIT, Good GMAT, IT background etc. His post is worth reading in full, so I am not quoting any sections of his post.

Here's the link.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24816
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2007, 05:56
Thanks guys ..
That helps, some forums/friends made me nervous...this helps.
Prasad, the link was really useful.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2007, 14:55
I agree with the general views in this thread, but feel compelled to comment....

1. To the OP: If there's something that you are genuinely passionate about, and would do it anyway (without the MBA apps on the horizon), then do so. If you're just planning on it for the sake of having some EC on your resume, you're a) doing yourself a dis-service and b) grossly underestimating the ability of the adcoms to see through this ploy.

2. In response to the example of the Indian IT stereotype getting into Wharton: You don't really know if Wharton selected him because of his non-formal leadership role or despite it ;) All I'm saying is, sure, if you can demonstrate leadership potential without having been in a formal role, that's great (and I'm sure that there are many budding leaders here ;)), but if you're already been promoted to it, and have gotten there ahead of senior members based on merit and potential, it gives you a solid base for your leadership essay - you have just that little less to prove, and just that little more to set you apart.

And yes, after a brief hiatus, I'm baaaack!!
  [#permalink] 01 Jun 2007, 14:55