Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nonprofit options

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
HBS Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 25

Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 19:50
Hey all,

Really wanted to pick the brains of some more experienced MBA researchers out there (have been doing my own but feel a bit overwhelmed with the quantity of random information)

I have been considering an MBA for several years. After being rejected (with zero work experience go figure huh) I've re examined my motives. I actually took 2 years off from apps and reconsidering applying next cycle (fall 2014 entry). The time I've allowed myself to reflect, I hope has really helped hone my goals. I have always had an interest in consulting so that's on the table, but as someone who has been involved in cancer non profits for the last two years I really think I would be interested, as a primary focus, social impact and non profit work trying to get into the management side.

Anyway my research has clearly pushed me towards Stanford. They have great programs that seem to ease the financial burden summer and for loans. Anyway I was just wondering what other programs am I missing that maybe I should look at being that Stanford seems to be a touch selective.

Profile to maybe help:

GMAT 760
WE will be about 2.5 years in an educational start up (co-founder, about 3million rev and 131 employees)
GPA: UG small not well known liberal arts 3.7 econ major, Grad: 3.7 masters in econ from university of florida
Decent Extras like involvement with swimming, animal shelters and most relevantly cancer research

Would be really interested to hear some thoughts.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 07:44
For nonprofit I'd also throw in Yale, Haas, Kellogg and maybe Fuqua too. Yale is particularly renowned in the nonprofit field. And if you're serious about Stanford, you should also consider applying to Harvard.
HBS Thread Master

Re: Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 07:47
jxcho wrote:
For nonprofit I'd also throw in Yale, Haas, Kellogg and maybe Fuqua too. Yale is particularly renowned in the nonprofit field. And if you're serious about Stanford, you should also consider applying to Harvard.

thanks jxcho for the reply! I keep hearing Yale mentioned as a good option but haven't found a ton of information on why this is the case, what makes them stand out?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:22
Expert's post
tripsd wrote:
jxcho wrote:

thanks jxcho for the reply! I keep hearing Yale mentioned as a good option but haven't found a ton of information on why this is the case, what makes them stand out?

Because Yale is awesome :P Paging @machichi since he has experience in the non profit world, but SOM is very open to non profit. IMO, academics aside, a lot of people are attracted to the mission of creating leaders for business And society -- that means they build people to make a difference in whatever sector, industry, function...and you can feel that when you're there.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

HBS Thread Master

Re: Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:38
aerien wrote:
tripsd wrote:
jxcho wrote:

Because Yale is awesome :P Paging @machichi since he has experience in the non profit world, but SOM is very open to non profit. IMO, academics aside, a lot of people are attracted to the mission of creating leaders for business And society -- that means they build people to make a difference in whatever sector, industry, function...and you can feel that when you're there.

aeirien you're making it sound like I need to take a trip to Yale and check it out. Definitely will spend some more time looking that direction then.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
You raaaaaaang @aerien?

I work in education non-profit now and my ultimate goal is to work in the education field after graduating from Yale. I bet we have a lot in common!

So why is Yale so known for its non-profit focus? First, as aerien pointed out, it's the mission of the school to educate leaders for business and society. Notice the "and": they believe that ALL leaders need to think about business AND society, not just one or the other. That's an A+ in my book. Secondly, Yale's history is unique in the MBA world: they began offering a Masters in Public and Private Management in 1971, which eventually was converted into an MBA degree. Basically, Yale has long linkages to training leaders for the public sector, and they began to realize that the education that makes a good leader transcends the public and private sectors. In short, good business is good business is good business!

Four additional things that really sold me on Yale:
1) The host a huge education conference every year, which MBA students plan and run. I knew that I wanted to attend this conference, so why not take the chance to organize it!
2) Yale has one of the largest Net Impact branches in the country. Futhermore, they send the most MBA students to the annual Net Impact conference in the country every year (they get the award for it). Considering that SOM is one of the smallest MBA programs out there in the top 20, that's doubly impressive if you ask me!
3) People there genuinely care about social issues regardless of their goal field. I love it!
4) Loan forgiveness. So great!

In terms of other schools, well, after my research I found great programs at Stanford (which has a dual MBA/MA in Education), Kellogg (which has a great education club), and Haas (which has a great social sector solutions program). Duke and Michigan were my "back-ups"--meaning I was planning on applying R2 if things didn't work out in R1. Michigan in particular has a lot of dual degrees and has an MBA/MA in education.

As far as Harvard goes...I'm not convinced. I haven't been, but my friends at the Kennedy school have not given me the greatest reviews of HBS's social impact culture. That said, Harvard can get you anywhere and they are really generous with scholarships.

PM me if you'd like to chat more!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

HBS Thread Master

Re: Nonprofit options [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 19:07
Thank you so much for the thoughts! Again I will definitely have to give yale a look. Just got home from a long day so I'm going to pack it in but will send you PM this week, I really appreciate the offer to chat more.
Re: Nonprofit options   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2013, 19:07