Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nonprofit Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.43
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Nonprofit Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 07:26
GMAT: 710 - 42Q, 45V. Is quant too low? Should I retake? Last GMATprep practice was 760,47V, 48Q.

Undergrad: 3.43 GPA in International Relations from a top 25 USNWR school. Extracurriculars included participating in college's emerging leaders program, helping to organize international service trips and member of incoming-freshman welcome committee.

Work experience: Served 1 year in AmeriCorps working at an urban public school. Selected to be a part of the national pilot team to test program's impact in schools. Received city-wide award for dedication and commitment to service.

Now work as program director of a growing nonprofit organization that introduces high school students to social entrepreneurship. In-charge of all day-to-day operations including program growth, fundraising, social media and internet presence, board communication, accounting, marketing, etc. Organization has already experienced significant growth and development under my leadership. By the time of matriculation, I will have been in this position for 2.5 years.

Current extracurricular: Volunteer field organizer for state-wide political campaign

Goal: To create a social venture that promotes entrepreneurship in under-served, urban areas. I've become frustrated with the inefficiencies in the nonprofit and public sectors and truly believe that private enterprise can be used to achieve positive social change.

Timeline: Hope to start MBA program in fall of 2013.

Schools: Not quite sure what schools would go for a profile such as mine. Would love to go to a school with history of promoting social entrepreneurship such as Stanford, Haas, Northwestern, Duke, Yale, but I know these are the hardest schools in the country to get into.

I would love any advice or insight into my chances at the top schools. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nonprofit Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 05:06
Expert's post
Alright dude.. things look pretty good for you. Schools tend to LOVe candidates with a long history of non profit work and they tend to love candidates who want to continue in that line too. As for your goals, unless you have something concrete you are working on, you may want to think of going a bit more "conservative" and joining an already existing nonprofit, and laying your goals out there, because non profit is hard enough already.... it can help your chances out.. but that's up to you.

As for your school choices: why not? You have solid grades a very good GMAT, and wat seems to be good work experience. If you are testing 760 consistently and believe you can do better on the GMAt why not take one more stab at it? You have an awesome grade already, but I won;t pretend that getting a 760 won't help even more. Plus you have the luxury of time...

Anyhow your profile looks nice and solid, you are ready to apply!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Nonprofit Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2012, 05:06