Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nontraditional Applicant Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 06:25
Are all of these really "non-traditional?" If by "traditional" paths to business school you mean banking/finance, consulting and IT, perhaps... but reading all of these posts, I can't say I'd be surprised to see many folks here in B-school... Engineers. Project managers in big companies. So forth.

When I think "non-traditional," I think non-profit do-gooders, artists/musicians or something truly off the wall (pro athlete, maybe an astronaut, etc.). Obviously, given my background, that's a self-serving preconception, I know. But am I wrong here?

What advantage do y'all see in being non-tradi? Are we thinking that some schools have loose/de facto quotas for the banking/consulting set, and set aside some spots for folks like us?
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 10:36
Ntang wrote:
Are all of these really "non-traditional?" If by "traditional" paths to business school you mean banking/finance, consulting and IT, perhaps... but reading all of these posts, I can't say I'd be surprised to see many folks here in B-school... Engineers. Project managers in big companies. So forth.

When I think "non-traditional," I think non-profit do-gooders, artists/musicians or something truly off the wall (pro athlete, maybe an astronaut, etc.). Obviously, given my background, that's a self-serving preconception, I know. But am I wrong here?

What advantage do y'all see in being non-tradi? Are we thinking that some schools have loose/de facto quotas for the banking/consulting set, and set aside some spots for folks like us?

Agreed, if your job in any way involves sitting at a desk/computer, working 9-5, or having to wear something with a collar, I can't see it being *that* different from other MBA applicants. I think non-traditional helps your cause, but only in conjuction with:

1-a good GMAT will really help you out here, will show you aren't just a 1 trick pony in your field of choice.
2-you've still got to show you can fit into the MBA environment. Aka if you're a successful musician/artist, that's nice, but no good if you turn into a drama queen when your fellow group members challenge your ideas/creativity.

It seems that a recurring theme of top Bschool's 'opening weekends' is when, after bragging how their avg gmat / diversity stats went up, to list some specific examples of the types of students they accepted, very often those of 'non traditional' backgrounds. So it's definitely in demand.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 04:45
xerox wrote:
I am as non-traditional as you can get: language education and applied linguistics (translation and interpretation) and I am already doing an MBA at a top school.

I might have you beat....language education and applied liguistics...

...in Taiwan!

:lol:

http://bent.tw

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 06:12
I come from an industry that swears me to confidentiality. I suppose that's true whether you're a spook, a regulator or you clean toilets for rich people.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 20:21
I do healthcare research at a top medical center. Only have a BA so far.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 16:59
During the day, I work on lease contracts for federal agencies. At night, I research and think about spaces repurposed for leisure.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 06:49
International development at a major foundation.
Previously: socially responsible investing.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 07:08
Not sure if this falls under the non-trad. category.

International retail buyer in Asia (from Canada)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 07:35
To echo Ntang's questions from last year: do people view their non-trad backgrounds as an asset or a liability? Schools are paying a lot of lip service to people like us, but I wonder if they aren't just doing what they always do: highlighting outliers in order to seem different / better than their competitors.

I'm thinking it goes like this: if you take a banker and a non-trad side-by-side and otherwise their stats are very, very similar -- that's where the non-trad gets the edge. But I doubt coming from an atypical background automatically qualifies you as an URM or a "wow" or whatever.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 08:08
That's a helpful insight, triple5soul, thanks.

I too I have had experiences where friends or acquaintances in more traditional lines of work have been like, "Oh, you work at [Foundation]? COOL! I would love to do that!" But of course even in interesting jobs it's rare to feel really gung-ho about the unglamorous day-to-day tasks, so I'm usually thinking that what THEY do seems much more impressive. (Probably 'cause they ballin'.)
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 08:51
I definitely share some of the same thoughts. I do admit that I often worry that adcom will automatically discard an application on such premises. It speaks immensely of a school's culture when it is open to interview/admit non-traditional applicants. I know S is extremely open to individuals who are diverse in background and have led meaningful life experiences (hence "What matters to you most"), whereas typical applications are solely about goals/accomplishments.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 09:03
Ah, Stanford. If only there were more seats in that class...

Your comment reminds me, actually, that my recommenders (all non-trad) have totally hated on the business school admission process. They think most of the applications, as you note, focus too much on goals and accomplishments -- especially quantifiable accomplishments concerning money and management, which are almost impossible to ascertain in the work I do -- and not enough on potential and richness of experience. In this respect, they think law school recommendations are much more representative of a person's potential contribution to the field (not to mention they're much less onerous). This is, of course, debatable, but I think they make an interesting point.

I wonder how thoughtful AdComs are about perspectives like this.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Carroll School of Management, Fuqua
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 11:34
I kind of worry about how my "non-tradional" background will affect me, because i don't come from the usual industries but also don't do anything that exotic. I work in property management and lease luxury apartments. I would like to make a move into brand management and even though I have 5 years experience in real estate, 3 years working for myself and another 2 working for a national re development and management company, i don't see a future in real estate for me.

Tghis is very much a high pressured sales position -- I make as much in commissions as I do in salary, and i'm good at what I do. I work with a really diverse and very international group of clients.

I also work in the fitness industry on the side, teaching group exercise.

I guess i'll find out soon enough...
Re: Nontraditional Applicant Thread   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2010, 11:34