Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 19:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:48) correct 23% (01:04) wrong based on 359 sessions
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 142 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses?

My Explanation:
-----------------------------------
(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling. ---> This would rather prove to be advantageous for the airline company.

(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years. ---> This will again prove to be advantageous for the airline company as the decrease in price along with the Skybus' inherent fuel effiecient feature will overall reduce the cost of operation.

(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs. ---> Elimination of refuelling and job-cuts will actually be advantageous for the airline company.

(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses. ---> This does not mean that the decision of Northern Air to use Skybuses is a wrong one. Discard this option.

(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs. ---> Correct. The delay caused by Skybus' turbulence will impact Northern Air because we know that the airport is highly congested. This delay, will thus, affect Northern Air's quick turnaround time.

My choice will be option E.

HTH

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 00:00
Technext wrote:

My Explanation:
(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling. ---> This would rather prove to be advantageous for the airline company.

(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years. ---> This will again prove to be advantageous for the airline company as the decrease in price along with the Skybus' inherent fuel effiecient feature will overall reduce the cost of operation.

(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs. ---> Elimination of refuelling and job-cuts will actually be advantageous for the airline company.

(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses. ---> This does not mean that the decision of Northern Air to use Skybuses is a wrong one. Discard this option.

(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs. ---> Correct. The delay caused by Skybus' turbulence will impact Northern Air because we know that the airport is highly congested. This delay, will thus, affect Northern Air's quick turnaround time.

My choice will be option E.

HTH

Agree with the above analysis.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 02:44
Yep, E.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 04:04
Definitely E
reply2spg wrote:
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which
is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick
turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with
Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The
Skybus’ fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent
refueling.
Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for
Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses?
(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to
destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate
refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their
jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are
considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when
taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 08:15
Found it a bit easy. Just re-read to make sure there was no catch.

Kept B as a contender but any way even with the reduced fuel prices the aero-dynamic design would save the input costs

Will go with E

Cheers,
Unplugged
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 09:43
E for me.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 09:54
Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses,

I just dont get the above. Is the Q trying to say economical instead of economy?

quick turn around of what??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 10:14
Hi icandy,

What I deduced from economy is a careful, thrifty management of resources. You're right in saying that the question is actually trying to say 'economical' by using the word 'economy'.

As far as quick turnaround is concerned, it's about the loading, unloading, and servicing of the airplane.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 11:43
OA E
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 12:21
Technext wrote:
Hi icandy,

What I deduced from economy is a careful, thrifty management of resources. You're right in saying that the question is actually trying to say 'economical' by using the word 'economy'.

As far as quick turnaround is concerned, it's about the loading, unloading, and servicing of the airplane.

Regards,
Technext

Wow! I travel frequently, almost 50%. I never heard of the word quick turn around for the activities referred here. Was not much helpful to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 18:25
icandy wrote:
Technext wrote:
Hi icandy,

Regards,
Technext

Wow! I travel frequently, almost 50%. I never heard of the word quick turn around for the activities referred here. Was not much helpful to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

icandy,

Are you going to apply to an onlime MBA program since you travel so much?

just curious
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 13:05
why cudn't d ans be A.

the airlines can get more passengers whr it haults its planes for refuelling.??
where as for the option E, its not necessary that the planes flying subsequent to the SkyBus are northern airlines planes.

as the question asks abt the profit perspective of Northern Airlines, i guess it cud b A.

Please correct.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 13:29
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
why cudn't d ans be A.

the airlines can get more passengers whr it haults its planes for refuelling.??
where as for the option E, its not necessary that the planes flying subsequent to the SkyBus are northern airlines planes.

as the question asks abt the profit perspective of Northern Airlines, i guess it cud b A.

Please correct.

Its true that airlines could carry more passengers when they stop for refueling.
But, you are making an assumption that the flights which stop for refueling are NOT full.

Planes flying subsequent to the skybus are northern airlines planes.
Argument mentions that Northern airlines flies dozens of planes.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 07:31
Clearly E and agree with the explanation give by Technext.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 08:59
reply2spg wrote:

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
E

Its E.
A,B,C: Support stmt
D: Not in context
E: Oppose.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 10:33
E for me too...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 07:56
E
already so many explanations...what more left to say really ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 22:45
Clearly, E !

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Northen Airlines [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:09
A: expected to engage routes that require stoppages for refueling- advantage since Skybus needs cheap fuel and refuels at minimal time. Thia option is actually an advantage.
E: turbulence causes delay to other planes.... Disadvantage....CORRECT.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Re: CR: Northen Airlines   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2010, 08:09