Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [2] , given: 13

Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 19:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:10) correct 19% (01:20) wrong based on 551 sessions
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’s fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing their large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.

OA and OE will follow later.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [2] , given: 13

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E.

The delay in next flight might affect the schedules of other Northern Air flights, which is known for its quick turnaround, and thus will result in possible loss of business of the company.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 18

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 20:48
Agree with E, same reasoning.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [2] , given: 1

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 01:44
This post received
KUDOS
getmba wrote:
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’s fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing their large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
==> This will prove advantageous to Noetheren Air.
==> If Aviation fuel is projected to decline in future, Skybus' will still be advantageous though not as much as when fuel prices remain constant or increase. Morever, Skybus' give advantage of reduced time spent on refuelling.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
==> Same as A.
(D) None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
==> If none of its competitors are considering buying Skybuses, It will benefit Northern Air as it can increase customers by reducing the ticket prices.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
==> This is the answer. If Skybus causes other plances to get delayed, number of flight that can take off in a day will reduce casuing revenue loss to the company.
OA and OE will follow later.

Consider kudos for good post.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 13

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
OA is E.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 09:14
E is the only option available. all other options fail to confuse.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IEEE
WE 1: 2.5 yrs - Medicaid
WE 2: 2 yrs - Higher Ed
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 23:42
I understand the reasoning for E in that future flights will get delayed that will hamper the turnaround time.

But the argument mentions "Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround "
In C it is mentioned "several mechanics would lose their jobs". Does this not hamper the economy?

or am I exaggerating too much here. Any help is appreciated
Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 27

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
It has gotta be E. Reason: The first sentence in the passage mentions that there are as it is "dozens" of flights of Northern Air. Later in the passage there is mention that these are smaller. A small assumption would mean that the number of flights of Northern Air will only increase.

Therefore, if that happens and the planes behind each Skybus are going to get delayed during take-off, several of those could well be Northern Air flights, which would ultimately result in a drop in profitability owed to slow turnaround.

petrifiedbutstanding

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 06:50
someonear wrote:
I understand the reasoning for E in that future flights will get delayed that will hamper the turnaround time.

But the argument mentions "Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround "
In C it is mentioned "several mechanics would lose their jobs". Does this not hamper the economy?

or am I exaggerating too much here. Any help is appreciated
Thanks

They mean economy as in economical running i.e. cheaper running costs. Not the economy of a country. So if anything, that would be an advantage.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 01:09
Agree with E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: Northern Air flights [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 05:55
garimavyas wrote:
E is the only option available. all other options fail to confuse.

B is a possible contender, but given E, B is ruled out.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14, IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 25

EXPERT ADVICE PLEASE e: Northern Air has dozens of flights [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 06:25
I have a STRONG disagreement on the OA . Can some expert comment (as to why) , my reasoning is wrong.

The stimulus is :
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economyand quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’s fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling

so its about finding the new proposal to increase ECONOMY or/and to increase TURNAROUND TIME.

ANS:

Here , the economics is clear. If the fuel prices are reduced , the profits increase . Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL be ECONOMICAL

It will increase the congestion is true , but assume that the next fight is not of N-Airlines even then the congestion will increase . so it increase turnaround time OF ALL AIRLINES at the airport. Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL increase TURNAROUND TIME

now consider both the arguments , how do we consider which one is more weighted ?

Can some expert advice , what is the GMAC trick here ? Have I misunderstood the reasoning?

-eski

Your Kudos will motivate me :)

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [2] , given: 3

Re: EXPERT ADVICE PLEASE e: Northern Air has dozens of flights [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Eski,

As you mentioned, reduction in fuel prices causes the final outcome to become advantageous to Northern Air. So, it does not pose any disadvantage for Northern Air. However, in case of statement E, the increase in turnaround time is actually disadvantageous to Northern Air as the company depends on low turnaround time. An increase in turnaround time might suggest that the company might face trouble in certain situations and might get into a fix. Hence, this is the answer.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help you any further.

eski wrote:
I have a STRONG disagreement on the OA . Can some expert comment (as to why) , my reasoning is wrong.

The stimulus is :
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economyand quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus’s fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling

so its about finding the new proposal to increase ECONOMY or/and to increase TURNAROUND TIME.

ANS:

Here , the economics is clear. If the fuel prices are reduced , the profits increase . Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL be ECONOMICAL

It will increase the congestion is true , but assume that the next fight is not of N-Airlines even then the congestion will increase . so it increase turnaround time OF ALL AIRLINES at the airport. Howmuch , is debatable , but it WILL increase TURNAROUND TIME

now consider both the arguments , how do we consider which one is more weighted ?

Can some expert advice , what is the GMAC trick here ? Have I misunderstood the reasoning?

-eski

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14, IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 25

Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 06:39
OOps , I got that . I got trapped . BTW just for the info , ANY CR question will have following traps :-

1. Hyped - Exaggerated information , it might be right but its blown out of fact. These are just the extension of stimulus , but with exaggerated words.--most critical
2. Extension of stimulus . Classic trap
3. Redundant - Irrelevant , might be critical for 'it true' questions type , in these cases it can be 2nd option
4. Opposite - if asked for supporting the assumption , it goes against it . Classic trap , almost always present

Acronym is "HERO"

If I miss something lemme know :P

-Eski

Your Kudos will motivate me :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 10:43
IF it delays the other flights, then a chain reaction will follow which is really bad for the company's strategy!

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-03-2013
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 10:51
E is the only choice. Other options are very direct. Is this a 700+ level question ? I seriously doubt about it.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 13:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 03:48
Agree with E same reasoning one flight will delay the other flights also and it will go on and on.
Re: Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of   [#permalink] 19 May 2014, 03:48