Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not able to get a good score in Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

Not able to get a good score in Verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 06:36
Hi,

I have scheduled my GMAT exam on 13th September.
I am in a big problem as I am not able to score too well in Verbal Section. The maximum I could score in verbal is 34.
I have referred to a no. of books like
1. Manhattan Sentence Correction
2. Princeton GMAT.
3. Kaplan GMAT.
4. Official Guide.

I am left with only 20 days and I have tried to solve as many verbal questions from GMAT CLUB download section.

Maximum score in GMAT Practice test till now is 670 and the average score is around 660.

Require some expert guidance so that I can breach the 700 barrier.

Thanks,
Ankit Gupta
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Not able to get a good score in Verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 07:45
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

Re: Not able to get a good score in Verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 08:10
nktdotgupta wrote:
What are you weak areas in verbal?

try Thursdays with Ron (link in my signature) for SC and RC!

For CR - Did you try powerscore CR bible?

My weak area is CR. I get around 60% correct. In SC, I get about 80% correct. RC varies from 3/12 correct to 8/12 correct.
I analyse my mistakes in CR after every test but the results in subsequent exams have not shown any improvement.

I am very much worried for the past one week about Verbal.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Not able to get a good score in Verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 08:12
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 663 [0], given: 6

Re: Not able to get a good score in Verbal [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 09:12
Expert's post
It seems like your best section is SC - CR and RC are average and if you don't improve on any of these sections, your score will remain in the 600. I'd suggest you get more practice with CR.

Try this practice CR question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1192

The hard part about CR is two steps. You have to understand the complexity of what they are talking about. I recommend visualizing in your head the information that is presented in the passage. Once you can visualize and have arrows in your head pointing to where things are going, you then want to focus on the question - which is the ARGUMENT. Are we strengthening it or weakening? What are the possible ways to do each? How do you structure the argument? You want to have an attack strategy for all of these questions.

For RC, you should check out the RC Pill videos - there is a free demo on the site for two passages. You can check out the approach and use that strategy for all your RC passages. The key thing about these videos is knowing what to read, what not read, and how upon reading a question, know how to scan through a passage to get precisely at the answer.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Not able to get a good score in Verbal   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2012, 09:12