Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not at ease reading English in a fast pace

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Not at ease reading English in a fast pace [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 00:59
Dear everybody,

here is a synthesis of my scores :
GMAT 1: 500
Quant 1: 39
Verbal 1: 21
GMAT 2: 540
Quant 2: 44
Verbal 2: 20

As you see, my verbal score didn't increase in spite of improvement during my studies. I scored 30-34 max but I know that I need to be at ease reading english.

I have learned the concepts but I felt that, as I am not at ease learning easily english, I can't follow the concept I have learn during my preparation.

I know that when I passed test without timing I can have very good score in verbal because I took time to analyze the question.

What is your advices, recommendations or critics? Don't hesitate to apply your critical reasoning for my situation ;)

Ciao
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 6

Re: Not at ease reading English in a fast pace [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 14:23
Expert's post
Teoh wrote:
Dear everybody,

As you see, my verbal score didn't increase in spite of improvement during my studies. I scored 30-34 max but I know that I need to be at ease reading english.

I have learned the concepts but I felt that, as I am not at ease learning easily english, I can't follow the concept I have learn during my preparation.

I know that when I passed test without timing I can have very good score in verbal because I took time to analyze the question.

What is your advices, recommendations or critics? Don't hesitate to apply your critical reasoning for my situation ;)

Ciao

Reading quickly can indeed be difficult, especially in a timed environment. But it's so important ---not just for RC passages - but also for reading SC /CR questions and anything else that you read in business school and beyond. This is a critical life skill.

The important takeaway with speed reading - is that you don't read every single word. Or at least you don't focus your eyes on every single word. Instead, you read words with a special focus on key transition words. The transition words can help you figure out the STRUCTURE of the passage and give you clues as to whether the next sentence contradicts what was mentioned earlier -- or whether what follows will provide further evidence to a claim that was made earlier.

STRUCTURE and key TRANSITION words --these are the two things you need to pay attention to. But this is something that is not easy to explain in words - it's much easier to show. That's why we recommend that you watch this video on how to spot these transition words. Here's an example: http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Notice how we don't read every single word and that our focus is on the structure of the passage based on key words. Learning this may take time, but doing so will help you in multiple facets of your life going forward.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 22

Re: Not at ease reading English in a fast pace [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 12:06
Expert's post
Teoh wrote:
Dear everybody,

Ciao

Howdy!! Happy Test Prep Day!!

I think that GMATPill makes a good point about focusing on the structure of the passage by looking for transition words. This is a valuable skill!

But I'd like to add a few points: first and foremost, the best way you can improve at anything, the best way to get better at reading or building a house or running long distances is by doing those things. So if you want to get better at reading, if you want to be a faster reader, you need to read every day. And not just, passively pursuing the newspaper or reading a magazine. You need to practice focused, active reading. You need to read like your life depends on it, like a hungry bear waking from months of hibernation. You need to read with purpose. One way to activate your reading process is to ask yourself a set of questions every time you read. And ask yourself these questions multiple times as your reading. The answers may change as you read. So ask yourself:

1. What is the main idea? You should be able to put this into a couple phrases, not necessarily a long sentence. Try to start at the broadest possible level and then narrow more and more. So start with the general topic, then try to figure out what the scope of the passage is. That is, if the passage is about dinosaurs, what part of dinosaurs are we talking about? Skeletons? Fossil records? Biology? Coloring? Why they disappeared? Relationship to modern day birds? Through this process you should be able to narrow and narrow until you have a good summation of the main idea.

2. What is the structure and flow of the passage? This is what GMAT Pill was getting at. You need to pay attention to transition words in the passage. You need to think about where you have been and where you are going in the passage. How does this paragraph connect to the main idea? What's its purpose in terms of the main idea? And how was it connected to the previous paragraph? Through these questions, you will get a "road map" of the passage. You'll have a sense of what happens where. And you will have a better understanding of examples or reasons because you will know their purpose in terms of the main idea of the passage.

3. What is the author's tone and what is the author's purpose? You always want to try and infer the author's opinion about the topic. The author's opinions and beliefs will leak into the passage and influence the word choice and position in the article. So pay attention to the positive or negative tone of the adjectives and adverbs in the passage. In terms of the author's purpose, we don't have to do too much work. There are really only four reasons that people write something: to entertain, to persuade, to inform, or to describe. Obviously, passages will have elements of all of these, but usually there is one main reason that author sat down to write what you are reading.

Now, notice that I didn't recommend understanding all the examples or paying attention to the details. I am not recommending that skim or that read faster or slower. Or to read multiple times. The only thing you have to worry about when you read are the questions above. At first, you will have to remind yourself a lot and you might have to keep the questions written on a piece of paper to reference. You may have to put the passage aside and write down the answers without reference to the passage. This will all help! Ultimately, you will reach a point where this is something that you do without thought. True improvement, to really become a faster reader and a better reader, will happen when you can ask and answer these questions without having to think about it.

My last tip is to read material that is comparable to the GMAT and comparable to what you will read in business school. That means you need to choose your reading passages from reputable sources. You should be reading The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Economist, Financial Times, and The Atlantic Monthly. Try to read an article from each of these sources every day.

If you can do these things, you will be surprised by how fast you can get through a passage, how many words you don't have to read to understand what it is all about, and how much easier it is to answer questions on the GMAT!

Best of luck and happy studying! :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Not at ease reading English in a fast pace   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2013, 12:06