Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not getting anywhere with RCs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 08:21
Hi,

My exam is in less than a week and im not getting anywhere with RCs. I tried both approaches 1) Reading the passage as it were house , marking information.Then going back to the passage as and when i solve questions. The problem with this technique was i was not able to solve inference questions. 2) Then i tried to read the entire passage in one go and then answer questions. But here again i realized that i still needed to read the passage especially in case of RCs that were long and abstract.

i have done all the OG11 RCs. The main point questions were my weak area, i had worked on them. Doing practice tests now , complete Verbal section tests and also full length tests. In one of the exams i ended up spending 15 mins on all 3 passages and i got most answers wrong. This greatly affected my score :(

I am fine with SC and CR. I take an average of 90 secs to solve them (depending one the question)

Pls suggest a strategy for RC. What can i fine tune?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 114

Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 11:30
I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with RC's... with a week left to your test it can be mentally challenging to not have every question type down. But just remember, it sounds like you are strong in SC and CR, so that will definitely help your verbal score. So here are some recommendations that have helped me with RC:

Here's a good blog post to show you the difference between everyday reading, and GMAT reading. It really takes a strategy... so practice some of these techniques. They should help: http://gmatclub.com/blog/2011/04/gmat-r ... es-tricky/

Also, remember that the GMAT doesn't expect you to be an expert in what the passage is about. If the passage is about black holes, remember, they know you're not an astrphysicist. So skip over all the details that are confusing. They want you to get caught in those details. Just literally skip right over the words you don't understand, and the sentences that include details about astrophysics. They are unimportant and will hold you up, and make you forget what the passage is all about. Just note where they are, and only come back to them if you get a question directly in regards to that detail.

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 11:42
@GMATLA..thanks

I will try these tips. I am going to give a timed verbal test right now. As soon as i am done i will post my thoughts :)

Thanks again :)
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1090

Kudos [?]: 4890 [0], given: 163

Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 23:56
Expert's post
Bibli wrote:
Hi,

My exam is in less than a week and im not getting anywhere with RCs. I tried both approaches 1) Reading the passage as it were house , marking information.Then going back to the passage as and when i solve questions. The problem with this technique was i was not able to solve inference questions. 2) Then i tried to read the entire passage in one go and then answer questions. But here again i realized that i still needed to read the passage especially in case of RCs that were long and abstract.

i have done all the OG11 RCs. The main point questions were my weak area, i had worked on them. Doing practice tests now , complete Verbal section tests and also full length tests. In one of the exams i ended up spending 15 mins on all 3 passages and i got most answers wrong. This greatly affected my score :(

I am fine with SC and CR. I take an average of 90 secs to solve them (depending one the question)

Pls suggest a strategy for RC. What can i fine tune?

Different strategies work for different people so there is no one clear sure shot 'method' of attacking RC passages. What does work for many people and gives good accuracy is reading the passage properly the first time around and a quick second read too if needed which will mainly be a revision read. Say, you read the passage completely once. Then you take one paragraph at a time and tell yourself what it talked about. There will be one main point in every paragraph. Identify that. At the end of the read, you take 10 secs to remind yourself all the important points. Thereafter, the universal questions (main point, tone etc) will not be a problem. In fact, after this you should be able to answer the 3-4 questions in under 2 minutes. You have to be mindful of the time and a good reading speed is an asset.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 09:27
Thanks Karishma... after reading your reply i felt that i'm not alone who 'd like to reread the passage. I will try to summarize each para and the quick pts in 10 secs. I like this strategy, will try it today when i give my verbal test.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 933 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 09:34
Practical advice.

With just a week left you can not magically improve your RC skills, but what you can do now is to cope with your limitations and practice as much as you can to understand when to give up on RC question. The time spent on RC question that you can not answer could be used for SC CR.

Same way if you are good at SC and CR, you can spend the time saved from these two question types on RC questions by giving more time to RC.

The only way to make your subconscious mind to remember such things is by practising full length test. Just make sure you do not lose your confidence and spirits. This is just a test and by losing your temper you will only harm your score. So when we know something can only harm, why to do it?

Still at the end if you think you can improve your RC performance if you are given more time, better postpone it.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Not getting anywhere with RCs   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2012, 09:34