Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 04:25
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 06:42
I Chose A ...

Was confused between A & B , but went with A ..

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 08:13
I'm going to go against the tide. I think it's B

Verb - Noun agreement: use of plural/non-plural words

"is"... because it's referring to one investor
"was"... because it's referring to one deal
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 08:23
A - they are trying to be tricky with the singular one and plural investors
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 20:40
This post received
KUDOS
proccountant wrote:
I'm going to go against the tide. I think it's B

Verb - Noun agreement: use of plural/non-plural words

"is"... because it's referring to one investor
"was"... because it's referring to one deal

Scenario of 'deal' here is hypothetical and use of "were" is gramatically correct though 'the deal' is singular. You never say 'If i was president' you always say (gramatically correct) 'if I were president'.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 06:50
nitya34 wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

(A) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were
(B) is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was
(C) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were
(D) are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was
(E) are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Are being plural makes choices d and e incorrect
deal was in option B makes it invalid .... use deal were instead
in option C them is wrong coz is expected and them are contradictory
only option A is right

Consider KUDOS if you like my post

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 02:39

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were
B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank Until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was
C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were
D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was
E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 6

Re: SC Question: Please explain. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 05:35
I would pick (A)

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were - correct
B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank Until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was - they has no referent and was is incorrect because it is sunjunctive mood. Also for buying is incorrect
C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were - them is incorrect
D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was - are is incorrect. also was is incorrect
E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were - are and they are incorrect
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 06:03
answer is A...
Subjunctive mood.. if /were ...

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Potential investors, First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 14:23
But how "a merger agreement is signed that includes" is grammatically correct?

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Potential investors, First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 14:42
yangsta8 wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate
Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the
deal were
not to be concluded.

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

Not one of them is always singular, so it should be is expected
eliminate D and E because of using are.
In B for buying is wrong
In C agreement be signed by them is wordy.

A is Correct
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:18
In answer choice A "the deal were" seems incorrect look like a Subject - Verb Agreement Error. Any Comments?
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 1168 [3] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A simple approach to this problem will be:

Rule out D and E because of S-V number mismatch.

Rule out C because, it uses the imperative form of the verb - be signed - inappropriately without the other paraphernalia required for employing the present subjunctive mood. In addition what does the pronoun them stand for? Is it for the investors or the bankers or both?

Rule out B because, it uses the wrong idiom – offer for byiung - rather than - offer to buy.

You are happily left with A, which avoids the wrong idiom, the S-V number disagreement and the inapt present subjunctive.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 19:09
thanks daagh. Nicely explained!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: potential investors [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 08:23
Sorry for opening an old post, just a silly question I have.
In the original sentence, if "not one" was replaced by "none", would it require "are" instead of "is"

"Not one of the potential investors is" vs. "None of the potential investors are"

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert

Kudos [?]: 1168 [1] , given: 244

Re: SC: potential investors [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First split, since the deal’s conclusion is hypothetical, the conditional closes has to use the past subjunctive verb ‘were ‘. B and D are out.

The use of present subjunctive verb ‘be signed’ is wrong since no command or order is involved.

There is SV mismatch in E.

So A is left with correct past subjunctive verb, proper SV agreement and no problematic pronouns.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Yale, HEC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Potential investors, First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 10:40
No one can answer SudiptoGmat's question???
Verbal Expert

Kudos [?]: 1168 [0], given: 244

Re: Potential investors, First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 05:44
Expert's post
until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the
deal were not to be concluded.

The above part of the text is actually a poetic expression meant to confuse the test takers. If you flip the clause, the classic version of the same will be:

Until a merger agreement that includes a provision for penalties if the
deal were not to be concluded, is signed

The relative clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’ is an essential definer of the agreement. Per se, therefore, there is no grammar error in that expression
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris, , Tepper
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 06:22
Clear A.

Though some people considered C a close second, C is actually ungrammatical (i.e. not worse than A, but actually incorrect.) Here is why:

C:
is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

-> "them" has no grammatical antecedent.

If you like my post, a kudos is not expected but appreciated

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 06:33
Is the "be signed" part correct in option "c". Is it part of a subjunctive form ?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 06:56
nitya34 wrote:
OA-A

Just out of curiosity... Where is this Q from?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 06:56