Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [2] , given: 0

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:10
Definitely A) since S-V agreement needs "is" [ if we had a that + noun modifier after investors it would need "are" ].

B) is awkward and they has no clear use.

C) uses subjunctive verb unnecessarily

Posted from my mobile device Image

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:16
shivganar wrote:
proccountant wrote:
I'm going to go against the tide. I think it's B

Verb - Noun agreement: use of plural/non-plural words

"is"... because it's referring to one investor
"was"... because it's referring to one deal

Scenario of 'deal' here is hypothetical and use of "were" is gramatically correct though 'the deal' is singular. You never say 'If i was president' you always say (gramatically correct) 'if I were president'.

I have also gone for B, when I was confused between A and B. Thanks for the explanation.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NABE
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 20:30
I chose A, although I remember on a very similar GMATClub question, the OE said that if the sentence is "Not one of [group, e.g. potential investors, members of a team, etc] then the verb should be are, which I found very confusing.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 09:07
(D) and (E) out because of "not all" in the non-underline part
(C) 'be signed' is wrong
(B) was is wrong in subjunctive hypothetical
(A) correct

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 41

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 07:45
The start of this statement looked a bit awkward, good question though...

I go with A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 22

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 09:55
Subject is singular so verb-is correct

A

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 13:54
I went with B. I was able to eliminate both D and E because of the use of "are". Didn't like how C sounded/felt awkwardly structured. Ended up settling with B.

If I had known the if/was if/were rule thing I think I could have gotten the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 14:32
I am in the same boat as Yerkut, Thanks for the nice explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:06
Answer is A. Reason subjunctive mood.

Also clear and concise.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 04:21
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 12:47
nktdotgupta wrote:
why is it
penalties if the deal were and not
penalties if the deal was? is it subjunctive issue?

I have the same question. Any help?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 22:43
ohsballer wrote:
nktdotgupta wrote:
why is it

I think this has to do with the "future subjunctive." There is an if clause here with doubtful possibility ("if the deal was not to be concluded"). There is doubt because the deal could or could not be concluded, so we use the future subjunctive tense of "were."
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 08:50
nitya34 wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

(A) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were
(B) is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was
(C) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were
(D) are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was
(E) are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

is "Not one of the potential Investor" is a singular( with .....is.. ) or plural ( with ... are... )

it is Singular, hence options D and E are knocked off...

now with A, B , C

is it TO BUY or FOR BUYING ...it is TO BUY, hence option B is knocked off

now with A and C, agreement that includes is the right way of putting across the information about penalty, hence A is the answer

may be i am following the crudest method, but still i want to understand if there is any other better way to understand SC.. hopefully guys u can guide me here

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: SC-First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 09:06
Expert's post
deepaksharma1986 wrote:
Is the "be signed" part correct in option "c". Is it part of a subjunctive form ?

Posted from my mobile device Image

hi there,

Use of "be signed" is not correct here because this verb appears in its subjunctive verb form without there being any verb in the sentence that requires the use of subjunctive. There a few words that require the use of subjunctive, such as demand, recommend, suggect, etc. Since this senetnce carries no such verb with which use of subjunctive is imperative, use of "be signed" is incorrect in choice C.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 17:47
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate
Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the
deal were
not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger
agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were - Best Answer.
B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a
merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was - for buying does not sound right
C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger
agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were - is and them does not fit
D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a
merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was -Singular and for buying does not sound right.
E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a
merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were -Here including tipped me off a bit, to me it sounded like signing a separate agreement instead of the provision already included.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 00:45
Swoosh617 wrote:
ohsballer wrote:
nktdotgupta wrote:
why is it

I think this has to do with the "future subjunctive." There is an if clause here with doubtful possibility ("if the deal was not to be concluded"). There is doubt because the deal could or could not be concluded, so we use the future subjunctive tense of "were."

Can someone explain this point please...

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Potential investors, First Interstate Bank [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 01:09
daagh wrote:
until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the
deal were not to be concluded.

The above part of the text is actually a poetic expression meant to confuse the test takers. If you flip the clause, the classic version of the same will be:

Until a merger agreement that includes a provision for penalties if the
deal were not to be concluded, is signed

The relative clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’ is an essential definer of the agreement. Per se, therefore, there is no grammar error in that expression

option a ---is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

i had read in wren martin that none is shortened form of not one .Further in MGMAT sc guide its written that for 5 relative pronouns namely some,any,none,all,most (SANAM) we should look at "of" construction which follows the pronoun. So isnt the "is" being used here wrong
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 01:59
narangvaibhav wrote:
ohsballer wrote:
nktdotgupta wrote:
why is it

Can someone explain this point please...

the "if" introduces a hypothetical subjunctive (a unreal or unlikely condition). Hypothetical has a basic form where simple past is used. But only with the verb "to be", only "were" is to be used. So it is "were" and not "was" in this case.

Hope this helps.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 19:47
Only choice A match the the non-underlined part.

The easiest approach to this sentence is:
1, Not one of the potential investors + singular verb
2, Condition IF + were (NOT was)
3, "by them" in choice B is wordy

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 13:51
not one is definitely singular as per MGMAT. A for me
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2012, 13:51