Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2015, 22:10
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 244 [5] , given: 0

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 08:42
Please can anyone explain me why "were" is correct in option A, there should be a "was" after deal !!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 11:05
ravijot wrote:
Please can anyone explain me why "were" is correct in option A, there should be a "was" after deal !!

Generally when we are talking about a scenario whose occurrence of which we are unsure of, we would be using "were" rather than "was".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 401

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 12:38
chunjuwu wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was

C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were

D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

In this one, I had a doubt : Was "Not one of the potential investors is" or "Not one of the potential investors are"?

In less than one minute, you can figue it out:

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were - Correct

B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was - "For buying" is wrong

C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were - "Them" is wrong

D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was - "For buying" is wrong

E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were - "To be making" is wrong

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern
R: K

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 11:49
chunjuwu wrote:

Hi e-Gmat

When we break the sentence into its clauses ;

Not one of the potential investors (Sub) is expected (verb) to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank

until a merger agreement (Sub) is signed (Verb)

that (Sub) includes (verb) a provision for penalties

if the deal (Sub) were (verb)not to be concluded.

Is this correct?

Question : What “that” is referring to? Agreement? Can “that” clause jump over the verb to modify noun?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 384 [1] , given: 322

Premium Member
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS

If you go by meaning then absolutely 'that' refers to 'merger agreement'.

Even if you don't want to go by meaning but by structure.

Then yes the noun modifier can jump to modify far away noun if the critical predicate falls between.

Critical predicate=is signed
Subject=agreement
Modifier=that...

Hope that helps!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-07-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 12:42
Can "not one" be considered as "none"? In that case, the sentence should have read as None of the investors ARE expected.... Please advise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 2

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 19:43
IDIOmT wrote:
Can "not one" be considered as "none"? In that case, the sentence should have read as None of the investors ARE expected.... Please advise.

Actually there indeed is some debate on whether none should be singular or plural. There are a couple of sentences in OG-13, indicating that GMAT considers none as singular:

#5: ..... perhaps none was more concentrated than...

#27: None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains.....

However, I have yet to come across a question, which actually expects test takers to choose between singular and plural verb (with the usage of none). Perhaps GMAT wants to stay clear of this topic, since there seems to be no absolute consensus among grammarians on this subject.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 23:48
In (C), does ''with'' need to be close to merger agreement as it modifies based on the touch rule.

Or is my logic wrong?

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2015, 10:21
All the answers are wrong to me. The conditional form to unlikely scenarios is:
if + [past tense subjunctive], would + [verb]
The correct construction should be:
(...) would be expected (...) if the deal were (...)

Am I wrong?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2015, 19:29
Not one of the investor is a singular in this case. which brings down to 3 options.
B and C have pronoun ambiguity in "they" and "them".
Hence option A.

I chose B though, missed on checking pronoun in options which was not there in main question. (so learning for me that pronoun can be introduced in options as well).
One question i chose option B deal should be singular, why it is made plural in the correct option.
Please someone explain.

chunjuwu wrote:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2015, 23:35
HIMALAYA wrote:
Agree with A that it is the least harmful.

but is "that" in A has clear referent. "that" in A is after signed. if so, doesnot it modify signed rather a merge agreement.

okdongdong wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an effort to buy First Interstate Bank until a merge agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merge agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

This is also what I concern about choice A. I think "that includes.." modifies "a merge agreement" and if so, the clause should be right after the noun.

Can anyone kindly explain?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 145

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2015, 10:51
First decision point:
is/are--- obviously is. So D and E are out.

2nd Decision Point

If the deal were/was. Were- correct. Because the deal is hypothetical not the the one which exists now. So, B is out

3rd Decision Point:
Until a merger be/is signed. Obviously "is signed". Ans A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 145

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2015, 10:57
Nhung wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
Agree with A that it is the least harmful.

but is "that" in A has clear referent. "that" in A is after signed. if so, doesnot it modify signed rather a merge agreement.

okdongdong wrote:
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an effort to buy First Interstate Bank until a merge agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merge agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were

This is also what I concern about choice A. I think "that includes.." modifies "a merge agreement" and if so, the clause should be right after the noun.

Can anyone kindly explain?

No it is not always necessary to put the relative pronoun next to the noun. In GMAT you will get few sentences which use the relative pronoun slightly far away from the noun. By understanding the meaning you have to find the logical referent for the relative pronoun. There are many official correct answers which use the same logic. Actually why does it happen?

There is no other way you can put the noun next to pronoun. When there is no other way, you have to consider this type of construction
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2015, 21:36
Correct me if im wrong. Shouldnt one of the denote plural form ?. Shouldnt A,B and C rule out in this case. I went with E as the answer.
Can someone please explain if this concept of mine is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 21:34
qhoc0010 wrote:
I go with (B) on this toughie.

Not one = none ~ either singular/plural

This is not subjunctive mood so "...deal were" is wrong. So (B) and (D) left. (D) is out for this "it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included". (B) uses "they" referring to "potential investors"

Correct me if I am wrong.

D and E are wrong. SVA.
Subjunctive mood = Expresses a condition which is doubtful or not factual.
They were not sure of the deal. Therefore subjunctive condition.
Therefore WERE It is similar to making statements contrary to fact. One tense in the past.
B is wrong, because it has "agreement including.. blah...".. does that mean they have to do 2 different things?
C is wrong because it has pronoun them. Whats the antecedant, inverster or bank?
A is correct.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: Q47 V29
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 560

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2015, 00:55
I have a question here...

I believe, "that" here points to merger agreement. Is it a valid construction?
What I remember is that "which" can't jump over verb to modify the subject. Looks like "that" doesn't have any such restriction.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 387

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2015, 02:42
JarvisR wrote:
I have a question here...

I believe, "that" here points to merger agreement. Is it a valid construction?
What I remember is that "which" can't jump over verb to modify the subject. Looks like "that" doesn't have any such restriction.

Meaning ALWAYS wins over GRAMMAR.

that clearly refers to the merger agreement.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-14-2015
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 45

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2015, 07:27
mbassmbass04 wrote:

Split 1 : (At the start) "Is" Vs "are"
Not one is singular and hence "Is" is correct. Option D and E are eliminated based on this.

Split 2 : (in middle) "until a merger agreement is signed" Vs "until they sign a merger agreement" Vs "merger agreement be signed by them"
Pronoun They do not have clear Antecedent. They cannot refer to singular "not one investor" Also, it wont make it logically correct.
Hence Option B and E are Incorrect.
"merger agreement be signed by them"
Them is referring to whom Investor or bank . No clear antecedent. Ambiguous incorrect pronoun usage. Hence Option C is incorect

Split 3: in the end "if the deal were" Vs "If the deal Was"
The deal is still not real, it is doubtful Hence in subjunctive mood. So were is correct.
Hence Option B and D are out.

A is winner in POE
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2015, 05:03
We can understand by meaning that if suggests hypothetical subjunctive(against reality) condition,so choices B & D are out.
E is out because of plural use are rather than is.
Choices are between A and C.
A makes more sense than C because the insertion of that clause clears the purpose of the agreement.
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2015, 05:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 179 posts ]