Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

33% (01:56) correct 67% (00:43) wrong based on 61 sessions
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.
(a)
(b) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
(c) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
(d) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
(e) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:48
daryayurlova wrote:
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.
(a)
(b) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
(c) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
(d) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
(e) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

I don't agree with the OA.
The idiom not only...but also is being tested here and D fails in that account.
Same with E and C.

In B, the construction is used wrongly. It says " Not only did something do something, but also did something else." The relative pronoun it must be added to indicate that the systematic clearing of forests also caused erosion. So the proper construction is, "Not only did something do something, but it also did something else."

Your answer should be A IMHO.

Mari

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:56
mariyea wrote:
Same with E and C.

In B, the construction is used wrongly. It says " Not only did something do something, but also did something else." The relative pronoun it must be added to indicate that the systematic clearing of forests also caused erosion. So the proper construction is, "Not only did something do something, but it also did something else."

Mari

I was also looking for a pair not only, but also and eliminated B for the other reason, namely: improper use of which - modifies farmland while the intended meaning is modifying the whole preceding clause .... thanks for additional reason to eliminate B ... about idiom I think i read some thread with Q where but also was also used without not only and it was correct .... I think A is wrong because it should be Not only did <...> create and GIVE not gave! Does that make sense?
Would be good to hear the OE ... there must be something there
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:58
daryayurlova wrote:
mariyea wrote:
Same with E and C.

Mari

I was also looking for a pair not only, but also and eliminated B for the other reason, namely: improper use of which - modifies farmland while the intended meaning is modifying the whole preceding clause .... thanks for additional reason to eliminate B ... about idiom I think i read some thread with Q where but also was also used without not only and it was correct .... I think A is wrong because it should be Not only did <...> create and GIVE not gave! Does that make sense?
Would be good to hear the OE ... there must be something there

Yes you're right. In B, which is improperly used. And I agree that we need an OE here.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS

Not only DID the systematic clearing of forests CREATE farmland ..
and GIVE/GAVE consumers

GAVE is not correct ... did + 2nd form

'not only .. but also' construction is used for items that are logically parallel.
the first half of the sentence is positive (create/give) while the second half is negative (erosion/deforested) .. so the use of this construction is not appropriate

D is the correct ans. HTH

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 05:32
+1 D. Agree with dimitry92.
X not only..... but it also - this is totally possible! The second trap in this Q is gave..... created.
Implying both factors, the only possible answer is D!
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 22:16
Expert's post
So sneaky of them!

The test writers know that many students who do their homework will see the "not only" trigger and look for a "but also" bookend. If you have the first half of that construction, you should probably have the second. *But* the sneaky twist is that if you have the second half ("but also") you don't necessarily need the first ("not only").

Ex:
She likes not only shaggy puppies, but also short-haired ones. *CORRECT*

He studies a lot, but he also likes to have fun.
*STILL CORRECT*

Great catch mari and daryayurlova on the lack of verb parallelism in two different places in this sentence. "Not only"/"but also" is indeed a parallelism marker, so that knocks off (A) ("create"/"gave" are not in parallel tenses), (B) ("caused" is missing a subject so that clause is not parallel to the first part), and (E) ("created"/"it caused" are not parallel).

That leaves (C) and (D), neither of which contain "not only"-- both choices use "but also" to mean X BUT (also/additionally) Y, which is a perfectly valid usage, though less emphasized in most GMAT curricula.

"But" is still a parallelism marker. Break down C and D to their underlying skeletons:

(C) contains a modifier between those two commas ("creating farmland.furniture), so the core of (C) is really "The clearing, but also..." So what should follow to maintain parallelism? Another noun or noun phrase-- instead we have a verb ("caused")-- the core of (C) would read "the clearing but also caused erosion..."-- that doesn't make any sense! Eliminate.

Try the same thing for (D):
The clearing...created farmland...and gave (stuff)..., but it (the clearing!) also caused erosion.

The underlying structure is
subject verb and verb, but subject also verb.

Parallel and correct!

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 22:28
Wow Parker,
What an exhaustive and detailed reply! Was worth waiting a month to get such a brilliant explanation! Eventhough I already had my exam still thank you!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 22:45
Expert's post
You're very welcome. Sorry it wasn't able to be useful to you on your exam, but congrats on being done!

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 00:01
This was #41 on on the gmatprep and I got it wrong. +1 to D for the reasons given by parker.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep US forests [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 00:02
See the core of the sentence first before "blindly" using the not only..but also bullet. its not gonna work here. :-)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 21:59
A question on the touch rule for which. In choice b:

does which refer to farmland, or (Northeast)? That is, does which ignore parenthetical statements? I understand that solving this issue isn't necessary for getting the right answer, but I want to make sure I'm clear on the touch rule concept.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 00:00
banaorange wrote:
A question on the touch rule for which. In choice b:

does which refer to farmland, or (Northeast)? That is, does which ignore parenthetical statements? I understand that solving this issue isn't necessary for getting the right answer, but I want to make sure I'm clear on the touch rule concept.

Hi, which follows a strict touch noun rule...even when noun is in parentheses or prepositional phrase. for prepositional phrase nouns the only exception is with "verb ed" which especially for "...in...." does not necessarily modify the proximate noun, unless it makes sense in doing so.

hope this helps.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the   [#permalink] 06 May 2013, 00:00