Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 03:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:15) correct 59% (00:51) wrong based on 109 sessions
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

I came across the above question from the different website. It seems that OA is (D) <- hidden colored text

I was thinking between D and E, and I couldn't find the good reason to choose either ones.

Please help.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 34

Re: a tough SC [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 03:57
Hi uledssul

I'll start by saying I'm rubbish at SC, but in this instance I did get the question right. So what follows is my thoughts, hopefully you'll find them useful:

a) create and gave are not parallel, should be created and gave or create and give
b) the modifier incorrectly modifies farmland. It's not the farmland which is giving the furniture, but the wood from the cleared forests
c) Violates the Not only X, but also Y idiom. It's also an illogical comparison because it compares erosion to nothing
d) Correct
e) Violates the Not only x, but also Y idiom. Giving inexpensive furniture also modifies farmland, as in (b).

Hope that helps!

B.

In the study cave!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: a tough SC [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 04:28
The NOT ONLY ... BUT ALSO idiom does not apply to this sentence since they only apply to similar elements. Creating family farmland is good, bug causing erosion is the negative side effect.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: a tough SC [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 04:40
I'd argue both are still similar elements, because they are both the effects of clearing forests. Similar = having common properties, but different.

I've not heard of the similar rule for NOT ONLY....BUT ALSO rule. Can you elaborate?

In the study cave!

Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.8

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough SC [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 10:11
Not sure why this was marked as a tough SC.

I think this SC is straight farword parallelism question.
One of the verb out the three parallel verbs is 'caused' which is in past tense, so to maintain prallelism we need the other two verbs as past tense.
Option D is the only option which has the two verbs created and gave in past tense

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: a tough SC [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
bradfris wrote:
I'd argue both are still similar elements, because they are both the effects of clearing forests. Similar = having common properties, but different.

I've not heard of the similar rule for NOT ONLY....BUT ALSO rule. Can you elaborate?

NOT ONLY... BUT ALSO sentences are typically used to talk about two different things which run in parallel. In this case, I'd agree with Ashish above and note that farmland = good, erosion = bad; they might both result from the clearing of forests, but they don't run in parallel directions, and should therefore not be spliced together with a NOT ONLY... BUT ALSO conjunction.

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Manager
Manager

Re: a tough SC [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 11:15
Thanks for the above DonQuixoie, +1 for you.

In the study cave!

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 16:03
uledssul wrote:
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

I came across the above question from the different website. It seems that OA is (D) <- hidden colored text

I was thinking between D and E, and I couldn't find the good reason to choose either ones.

Please help.

The OA can't be D. It is definetely (B) the idiom is not only but also.
Please double check
Thanks mate
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2013, 16:03