Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 08:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
    Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 15:31
I see a problem with all Answer choices. Allen, any chance E should say "..., but it also" rather than "but also"
Quote:
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively
inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

A-correct construction is "not only...but also"
B-"but also" needs a pronoun "it".."but it also". Also "which" incorrectly refers to farmland here, where it should refer to the "clearing of the forests"
C-same as A
D-Same as A
E-same as A

the ideal construction would be;
The systematic clearing of forests in the US not only did X...but also did Y.

If there is no typo then I will go with B I guess
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 23:08
D for me

wrong because of farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave
farmland can't give houses and furniture

IE IMBA 2010

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2006, 03:44
By POE A seems best...

In B, ....which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture refers to farmland which is not correct
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2006, 07:41
A is my pick.

B has a problem which refers to farmland ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 10:06
It cant be A b/c A has a verb tense problem.

the two verbs in bold should be create and give referring back to "not only did X create and give, but it also..."

is this wrong? whats the OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 12:09
Test of idiom ‘Not Only X but also Y’.

A. Sounds right to me at this point.
B. Sounds right to me at this point.
C. Not only part is missing.
D. Not only part is missing.
E. ‘also’ is missing.

Between A & B.

I agree with others ‘which’ in B creates some ambiguity in the sentence.
A is my answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 22:55
buckkitty: i get your point for why it isn't A. But what do u think is the answer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 07:15
hmmm...I think I change my answer to D. I agree with Yurik

This question does not really test which answer choice uses "not only...but also" correctly because none of them do.

B is wrong because "which" incorrectly refers to farmland when it should refer to systematic clearing of forests.

D is the best because it says that X did Y, but it also did Z. D is also best because it uses simple past consistently: CREATED, GAVE, CAUSED

I think the Not only ...but also construction is required when the first portion is introduced with "not only", if there is a follow up portion then you have to use "but also".

Additionally, the original sentence shows great contrast--clearing of forests gave farmland and inexpensive houses BUT it ALSO (contrast contrast) caused erosion. I think contrast is best shown with the structure in D.

any other thoughts??? This SC is very tricky.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 11:39
))very surprising but the OA is not D
may be there is some mistake in OA?
I was 100%sure it is D

IE IMBA 2010

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 12:28
buckkitty wrote:
It cant be A b/c A has a verb tense problem.

the two verbs in bold should be create and give referring back to "not only did X create and give, but it also..."

is this wrong? whats the OA?

I thought did only changes the main verb (to non infinitive i.e. without 'to', 's' or 'es' before/with the verb).

Did he go out and took his car with him.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2007, 15:19
I will go with D.

On first sight it is tempting to choose A based on correct usage of the idiom not only...but also. However I see a bigger problem with the verbs create and gave not matching. Both verbs should be in the same tense either present tense or past tense.

Only D maintains that and most importantly D does away with the need to use not only...but also idiom which is fine.

Regards

Subhen

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2007, 15:24
I would have picked E had it not been for the missing "also" which is part of the idiom, not only...but also. Not sure if "also" is not needed her.

Regards

Subhen

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2007, 20:45
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ng+forests
Surprise Surprise)) OA is A follow this link to see the discussion)

IE IMBA 2010

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 06:17
Yurik79 wrote:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=37236&highlight=systematic+clearing+forests
Surprise Surprise)) OA is A follow this link to see the discussion)

I just cannot accept A as the answer but I guess that is my problem :wink:
  [#permalink] 16 Jan 2007, 06:17