Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 14:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

64% (01:47) correct 36% (00:47) wrong based on 42 sessions
Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but they also fall prey to decompression sickness, commonly known as the "bends", if they ascend too quickly.

a] Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
b] Deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
c] Nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", is risked by deep-sea divers if they descend below 200 feet, in addition
d] Descending below 200 feet causes deep-sea divers to risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep" and
e] Not only does a deep-sea diver risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 2

Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
+1 A for me.
As Pkit said, A is the best of the worst. I do not find any problem with the idiom not only do "deep sea divers (they) .... but they also.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi folks,

Sentence Correct question ask you to pick the best answer possible--which isn't the same as a perfect answer. (A) definitely sounds fishy, but it gets the idiom right while maintaining parallelism between its elements. The sentence would probably feel more natural if it were rewritten entirely as "Deep-sea divers not only risk...but also fall prey...". However, it IS okay to break up the 'not only...but also' idiom with a pronoun; since every other answer makes an error in grammatical or idiomatic construction, and (A) does not, (A) must be correct even though it grates our ears.

That said, Pkit, you have spotted an error in our explanation: we incorrectly quote the original sentence, and that could definitely cause confusion. Sorry if our mistake made things more challenging than they needed to be, and thanks for calling it to our attention. Can the OP please tell me the specific Kaplan source that this came from so I can flag it for review?

Thanks!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [1] , given: 67

Re: Not only do deep - sea drivers risk nitrogen [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Mun
I m sure that...u would have able to zero it down to A and E......E has a hidden S_V error..check carefully...."It initially introduces THE TERM A DEEP SEA DIVER and than later uses pronoun THEY to refer back...

Rest all options can be eliminated they lack..NOT ONLY..........BUT ALSO consstruction

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [1] , given: 70

Re: Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 14:55
not only ...but also is right, so between A and E, A sounds more parallel to me
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 08:39
Between A and E, I think it's A.

a] Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but

the verb 'do' and pronoun 'they' here are right for the the divers - plural.

Whats the OG?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 22:15
vscid wrote:
gmatprep09 wrote:

Whats the OG?

whats wrong with B?

the use of BUT in B is not correct. But is used to show contrast, which is not present in the sentence.

In E "a deep-sea diver" does not agree with "They".
I guess the answer is A.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 07:38
I go with A for parallelism, not only... but also.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 08:00
bandit wrote:
vscid wrote:
gmatprep09 wrote:

Whats the OG?

whats wrong with B?

the use of BUT in B is not correct. But is used to show contrast, which is not present in the sentence.

In E "a deep-sea diver" does not agree with "They".
I guess the answer is A.

doesn't 'ascending' and 'descending' show contrast ?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 09:06
:roll: I missed it.... yup its a contrast.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: narcosis [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 07:53
A is containing the right idiom..."not only ... but also" and is not having subject verb disagreement and modifier error...So the best answer for me is A.....

Choose Life

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 23:37
Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep," if they descend below 200 feet, but they also fall prey to decompression sickness, commonly known as "the bends," if they ascend too quickly.

a.Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep," if they descend below 200 feet, but
b.Deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep," if they descend below 200 feet, but
c.Nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep," is risked by deep-sea divers if they descend below 200 feet, in addition
d.Descending below 200 feet causes deep-sea divers to risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep," and
e. Not only does a deep-sea diver risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep," if they descend below 200 feet, but

does the correct answer sounds awkward only for me? Choose one and look at the explanations it does not seem to be the same as the question..

Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"Not only...but also" must connect similar terms. "Deep sea divers not only risk" and "but also fall prey" are correctly paralleled in (A). (B) would work if "and" was substituted for "but." There are two problems with (C): "nitrogen narcosis... is risked" and the fact that (C) is actually two complete sentences incorrectly linked with a comma. You'd need a period after "feet," and a capital "i" in "in." In (E), "they" doesn't refer clearly and unambiguously to one specific plural noun. In (A), "they" can only mean "divers."

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 07:04

'not only .... but also' ... correct idiom

E) Not only does a deep-sea DIVER risk ... but THEY also fall

A is parallel and uses the correct idiom

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:01
dimitri92 wrote:

'not only .... but also' ... correct idiom

E) Not only does a deep-sea DIVER risk ... but THEY also fall

A is parallel and uses the correct idiom

do you find it OK for that idiom to be interrapted ? I mean not only ... but THEY also ?

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1426 [0], given: 245

Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:33
Expert's post
I have two objections to consider A the right choice. First, as every one has pointed out, A woefully is faulting on the correlative conjunction llism by bringing in a pronoun after the conjunction but in the second leg , while a verb should be present there to run in tandem with the verb ‘do’. Second, the use of the pronoun ‘they’ is redundant in my opinion, because, in two part sentences, where upon the subject of the first part can stand for the subject of the second part, the use of a pronoun Is unnecessary and wrong. Consider this:

We say; ‘Not only did Tom break his leg in the accident but also fractured his arm’.

We don’t say,

‘Not only did Tom break his leg in the accident but also he fractured his arm

Can the choice A stand the rigor of GMAT?

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:56
daagh wrote:
I have two objections to consider A the right choice. First, as every one has pointed out, A woefully is faulting on the correlative conjunction llism by bringing in a pronoun after the conjunction but in the second leg , while a verb should be present there to run in tandem with the verb ‘do’. Second, the use of the pronoun ‘they’ is redundant in my opinion, because, in two part sentences, where upon the subject of the first part can stand for the subject of the second part, the use of a pronoun Is unnecessary and wrong. Consider this:

We say; ‘Not only did Tom break his leg in the accident but also fractured his arm’.

We don’t say,

‘Not only did Tom break his leg in the accident but also he fractured his arm

Can the choice A stand the rigor of GMAT?

Thank you daagh,

indeed A is wierd here. But this is a question from Kaplan offcial practice.
I think that A is the best from the worst.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1426 [0], given: 245

Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 09:37
Expert's post
@Pkit: Is it so? Coming as it is from the stable of Kaplan, there must be some reason why Kaplan, the grandpa of Test preps, has forborne such technical incongruities; obviously the intention may not be to train people to find the best among the worst. But it is true that choice A is better than the others, as they seem to have been added just to fill up the rest of the choices. But thanks to Kaplan for the opportunity to delve into some aspects of correlative conjunctions and their llism.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: deep-sea divers [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 09:45
thank you guys,

daagh this SC wondered me a lot too.

There is the explanation from Kaplan.

""Not only...but also" must connect similar terms. "Deep sea divers not only risk" and "but also fall prey" are correctly paralleled in (A). (B) would work if "and" was substituted for "but." There are two problems with (C): "nitrogen narcosis... is risked" and the fact that (C) is actually two complete sentences incorrectly linked with a comma. You'd need a period after "feet," and a capital "i" in "in." In (E), "they" doesn't refer clearly and unambiguously to one specific plural noun. In (A), "they" can only mean "divers.""

As you may see in theri explanations they say not only but also. but in choice A it is not so. I think it may be poorly constructed question.

Daagh you see you left them and the quality diminishes :)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 46

Not only do deep - sea drivers risk nitrogen narcosis ,often [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 23:27
Not only do deep - sea drivers risk nitrogen narcosis ,often called "raptures of the deep",if they descend below 200 feet ,but they also fall prey to decompression sickness,commonly known as "the bends",if they ascend too quickly.

(A)Not only do deep - sea drivers risk nitrogen narcosis ,often called "raptures of the deep",if they descend below 200 feet ,but
(B)Deep-sea drivers risk nitrogen narcosis,often called "raptures of the deep",if they descend below 200 feet,but
\(C)Nitrogen narcosis,often called "raptures of the deep",is risked by deep-sea drivers if they descend below 200 feet,in addition
(D)The descending of deep-sea drivers to below 200 feet causes them risking nitrogen narcosis,often called "raptures of the deep",and
(E)Not only does a deep-sea driver risk nitrogen narcosis,often called "raptures of the deep",if they descend below 200 feet,but

Need every option`s explanation.

If you find my post helpful don`t forget to give kudos.
Not only do deep - sea drivers risk nitrogen narcosis ,often   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 23:27