Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not sure what went wrong, do I sign up for a retake asap?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Not sure what went wrong, do I sign up for a retake asap? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 17:17
I took a variety of practice exams, reviewed intensely, and tried to hone in on my weaknesses leading up to the official exam.

Most of my verbal scores ranged between V38-V42 on practice exams. 3 days before my GMAT date, I took GMATPrep 2 under test like conditions and scored a 700 (Q44 V42) so I thought I was ready if I just brushed up on quant. Unfortunately, I ended up scoring horribly on the official one with a 640 (Q44 V34). I was quite crushed by this score. I thought I was doing reasonably well on verbal but GMAT verbal is much tougher than I had thought.

For quant, I was really thrown off by using the notepad they give you. I ran out of room after question 15 or so and was flipping into random pages to find small spaces where I can do calculations. This definitely affected my score as my mind was pretty frazzled as a result of this.

How do I prepare from here? I have no idea what type of questions I missed on the official exam.
I've already gone through MGMAT material, GMATprep material, Aristole SC, Powerscore CR, and OGs.

Really disappointed in myself to say the least. I was expecting something in between 680 - 720 which is what I've been scoring on various practice exams.

Last edited by futurembaapplicant on 14 Dec 2013, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Not sure what went wrong, do I sign up for a retake asap? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 01:53
futurembaapplicant wrote:
I started studying nearly 8 hours a day since February. I took a variety of practice exams, reviewed intensely, and tried to hone in on my weaknesses.

Most of my verbal scores ranged between V38-V42 on practice exams. 3 days before my GMAT date, I took GMATPrep 2 under test like conditions and scored a 700 (Q44 V42) so I thought I was ready if I just brushed up on quant. Unfortunately, I ended up scoring horribly on the official one with a 640 (Q44 V34). I was quite crushed by this score. I thought I was doing reasonably well on verbal but GMAT verbal is much tougher than I had thought.

For quant, I was really thrown off by using the notepad they give you. I ran out of room after question 15 or so and was flipping into random pages to find small spaces where I can do calculations. This definitely affected my score as my mind was pretty frazzled as a result of this.

How do I prepare from here? I have no idea what type of questions I missed on the official exam.
I've already gone through MGMAT material, GMATprep material, Aristole SC, Powerscore CR, and OGs.

Really disappointed in myself to say the least. I was expecting something in between 680 - 720 which is what I've been scoring on various practice exams.

Didn't you know that they give you extra notepads if you ask for them?

Also, I agree it is hard to find out where you faltered, but you would probably remember the broad areas where you struggled. For e.g. you found CR or SC real hard. If not, go ahead with your pre GMAT weaknesses. Start reworking on the official material, concentrating more on the explanations.

Take more tests. Work under timed environment (in a set of 15-20 questions). Concentrate more on quant - there is a good scope for improvement there.

Gong through articles/videos/explanations from experts would also help in strengthening the foundations.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Not sure what went wrong, do I sign up for a retake asap? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 09:57
jumsumtak wrote:

Also, I agree it is hard to find out where you faltered, but you would probably remember the broad areas where you struggled. For e.g. you found CR or SC real hard. If not, go ahead with your pre GMAT weaknesses. Start reworking on the official material, concentrating more on the explanations.

Take more tests. Work under timed environment (in a set of 15-20 questions). Concentrate more on quant - there is a good scope for improvement there.

Gong through articles/videos/explanations from experts would also help in strengthening the foundations.

Good luck

I didn't realize it until I had absolutely zero room left on the notepad. It wasn't a problem I thought about beforehand.

When you went for your retake, how did you raise your verbal from 35 to 44? What was your strategy and how long did you study after your first exam?
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Not sure what went wrong, do I sign up for a retake asap? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 10:01
futurembaapplicant wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

Good luck

I didn't realize it until I had absolutely zero room left on the notepad. It wasn't a problem I thought about beforehand.

When you went for your retake, how did you raise your verbal from 35 to 44? What was your strategy and how long did you study after your first exam?

Alright.
You can go through my debrief (in my signature). I've answered most of your questions there. If you still have some, post on the thread or PM me. I'd be happy to help.
Re: Not sure what went wrong, do I sign up for a retake asap?   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 10:01