Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [24]
Given Kudos: 8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly [#permalink]
mikemcgarry: Can you please clear the confusion between Choice C and D? Thanks :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry: Can you please clear the confusion between Choice C and D? Thanks :)

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

To be honest, my friend, I am not a huge fan of this question. Among other things, it seems to take for granted some American cultural background knowledge, and it's also woefully out of date. This question had to be written 20+ years ago. I don't even know how many current GMAT student have even seen a VCR tape!

Here's what I'll say about (C) & (D).
C) Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.
So, Movie Tapes has only a small number of movies on DVD. It has many more on tapes, including some that competitors have on DVD, and on these particular movies, Movie Tapes outsells its competitors. Is this also a small number of movies, the specific movies that Movie Tapes has on VCR and competitors have on DVDs? We don't know. Did those competitors have those movies just on DVD, or did the competitors also have the VCR versions of those movies? We don't know. Is there a preference in that town for VCR? If people there have a choice, do they go out of their way to get a copy of a movie on a VCR, rather than on a DVD? That's possible, and that certainly would weaken the answer, but this is tenuous at best. (C) is not logically tight as an OA--it could work, but it's not a clear winner.

(D) A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
OK, great. Where are they buying the VCR tapes? Is the library buying them from Movie Tapes, or it is buying them from, I don't know, some Library Supply House that provides materials to libraries at cheaper costs? In American culture, it would be highly unusual for a public library to buy books or other materials from businesses in town hoping to sell these materials at a profit. Libraries tend to get their supplies from state agencies or non-profit sources. Of course, there is no way the GMAT would expect non-Americans to have this kind of detailed knowledge of how American public libraries function. This answer is incorrect because the place of purchase is not specified, but this would be far more obvious to someone who grew up in America.

As someone who writes questions professionally, I would give this question a grade of an F. The premise is interesting, although a little out of date, but the question is poorly designed, and there's no rigorous right answer. Sometimes, the questions that generate endless discussion and debate on GMAT Club are the poorly written questions--there's a lot to debate, precisely because the question is fundamentally unclear.

Here's a high quality CR practice question:
The element ytterbium increases

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618963 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bschool83 wrote:
Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly opened video store Movie Tapes, which sells specialty videocassettes, began an ambitious publicity campaign to promote the sale of their tapes over more technologically advanced DVDs. After six months in business, Movie Tapes found that its sales had doubled — in fact, it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies. Clearly, the publicity campaign was responsible for Movie Tapes' video cassettes selling better than DVDs.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A) DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
B) The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
D) A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
E) Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Correct Choice: (C)

To cast doubt on the argument’s conclusion, we should tr y to undermine the assumption(s) linking it to the evidence. In this case, the author seems to be assuming that the only reason for the store’s success is its publicity campaign. Choice (C) undermines this assumption, by suggesting that Movie Tapes has succeeded because it sells movies not available in DVD format.

Choice (A) would make DVDs more attractive, but would not provide an alternate explanation (other than the publicity campaign) for Movie Tapes’ sales success. Thus it is incorrect.

Choices (B) and (D) suggest that the school system and the library, respectively, are potential buyers of videocassettes, but we don’t know that either of them alone could account for Movie Tapes’ tremendous sales, or that they bought only from Movie Tapes.

Choice (E) neither strengthens nor weakens the argument, and so is irrelevant to this argument.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I got spooked by "the store", which I thought referred to MovieClips. I mean sure MC may not have a big collection on DVDs since its primarily selling videocassettes. But other stores could have a huge collection? Thats how I eliminated C.

I mean how do I prevent from getting spooked like this? The stimulus does not say MC "only" sells VCs.

mikemcgarry GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB '20 (I)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
But we are talking of the same movies. Doesn't option C just contradict the premise?

P:- After six months in business, Movie Tapes found that its sales had doubled — in fact, it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies.

Option C: Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.

Even if stores keep less DVD's but here we are comparing the same movies that are available in 2 formats.

I feel that option C is flawed.

Experts? Any take on this???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
nishtil wrote:
DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
Explains the features of DVD neither support nor weakens conclusion - incorrect
The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
School uses VCR- no evideance to conclude that school bought movies from store - incorrect
Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.
Premise in argument states that 'it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies'. what if the movies sold by store are not available on DVD, in that case customer are force to by Videocassates - correct
A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
What if the library has brought all the cassates before the add compain - to much to assume hence incorrect
Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.
answer does not affect the conclusion

THE answer Should be C ... any other explaination

Did anyone else misinterpret answer choice C to mean that out of all the movies sold at the store, only a small number of them were available as DVD as opposed to tapes?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Poor poor poor question and options
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
Like many others, I too eliminated C because high proportion of movies on videocassettes for THIS PARTICULAR store does not help us know how it DOUBLED the sales of movies on dvd from OTHER stores.

Thanks mikemcgarry for confirming that choice C could not be a good answer, otherwise I would have doubted my reasoning and would have ended up scratching my head for no reason.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
bschool83 wrote:
Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly opened video store Movie Tapes, which sells specialty videocassettes, began an ambitious publicity campaign to promote the sale of their tapes over more technologically advanced DVDs. After six months in business, Movie Tapes found that its sales had doubled — in fact, it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies. Clearly, the publicity campaign was responsible for Movie Tapes' video cassettes selling better than DVDs.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A) DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
This doesn't address the the advertisement campaign and it's impact

B) The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
The demoggraphic of the school is unknown therefore we cannot comment on the same

This will undermine the conclusion since not because of the advertisement campaign did better but only because of them being compatible and DVDs incompatible lead to the increase in sales

D) A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
Similar reasoning as B

E) Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.
This further lends support to the advertisement campaign
Therefore IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
Maybe there is a typo on answer C “Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.” It should say stores sell instead of store sells.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts