Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Notre Dame (Mendoza)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Notre Dame (Mendoza) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2004, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
This is yet another Near Elite program at a university with a highly selective college. Notre Dame is one of the few schools in the upper clusters of the US to offer a one-year program and a two-year program. The school is located in South Bend, Indiana which is about 1.5 hours from Chicago. Like most Near Elites, it is a small program with about 350 students in total.

Academic Calendar: Semester
The program is highly prescriptive with required courses dominating the first year of the two-year program.

The center of the distribution appears to be in the 660, 3.4 range.

The cost of living in South Bend is near "average" in the US which means it is far lower than many other MBA centers such as NYC (roughly 0.4 NYC).

FT 2005 ranks Notre Dame just below USC and tied with McGill and Lancaster.

EIU 2004 ranks Notre Dame above Texas and near North Carolina.

Employment Stats

http://www.nd.edu/~mba/020718/partners/placement.shtml

Last edited by Hjort on 03 Feb 2005, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2004, 20:52
hey hjort, i was curious about notre dame's reputation with recruiters, mainly MNC's and investment banks? how does the school rank among various disciplines, whats their forte???
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2004, 13:34
These are all good questions - I hope to address them shortly.

Best,

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2004, 20:57
thanx i'm looking forward to your reply.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 17:59
I still need to look at my database, but as I recall they ND has not been particularly strong with financial services in the past several years. I have seen some hirings by Bear Stearns and SG Cowen but not too much else.

ND is strong with some MNCs such as IBM, Ford, and HP.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 21:09
thanx for the info, would they rank fairly well in consulting????
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 20:04
There have been some reported hirings by Accenture but I cannot recall much else.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 21:15
thanx for the reply hjort, i just got their brochure but i am kinda disappointed by ND because it is nothing but fancy graphics and open air shots of the school, there is nothing specifin not even a breakdown of their applicants profile. anyway i got the info i needed from their website , i just have a final question about ND - how well rated is their finance MBA program when comapred to other regional schools - Kelly, Purdue ????
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 17:47
I cannot really say how it ranks relative to the other Indiana schools in finance. All three have hirings from rather similar finance and accounting firms.

To my recollection, none of the three has posted truly large numbers of the major IBs.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 20:09
anywayz thanx fo taking the time to answer my questions. i guess i still can;t make up my mind what concentration i want to pursue finance/accounting or consulting, maybe strategy. i am graduating with a concentration in finance and accounting from my undergrad, and will be sitting for the auditing secion of the CPA exam probably as soon as i get a good score on the GMAT. i heard that UTA McCombs has a pretty good accounting program. can you or anyone else confirm this and do you know other schools with a good reputation for MBA in Accounting [MACC will work too]
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 17:33
Off the top of my head, USC (Southern California) and Texas Austin both have strong acctg programs.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 20:37
thanx hjort, i appreciate the quick response.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
IT background [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 07:24
I have an IT background and am currently doing consulting work with a Fortune 500 company, but more at technical level.

My brief profile:
- GMAT 690
- Indian
- Strong career growth (though primarily technical)
- Masters in Computer Science (GPA 3.8)

I would apreciate your input on a possible fit my profile might have with the Notre Dame Univ.

How can I sell myself better to the University while applying (especially in essays)?

Thanks.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 20:24
A good starting point to selling yourself to any program is considering the mission of the school and how you contribute to that mission.

Focus on what interests you about Notre Dame and how you imagine spending your time there. What sort of student groups would you join?

I would also think about other institutions you have been a part of- how have you contributed to them in the past?

Hjort
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 18:13
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 16:04
Value Considerations

ETO: 85k

http://www.nd.edu/~mba/020718/prospecti ... ates.shtml

FT05 Value for Money: #57, one of the best of the Near Elites
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2005, 03:18
hey hjort..i read that their age range is 21-28..what are their acceptences for young applicants like?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Thinking of ND for Fall 2008 / Consulting Track [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanted to revive this thread since Notre Dame is one of my top considerations for Fall 2008. Could someone please shed more light on the following? If any alumni/current students could answer my questions, I'd be very grateful too.

1) School Selection:
Based on your experience did most of the students in your cohort choose Notre Dame as their first choice or as a backup? I know for their undergraduate class, ND is usually the first choice for a variety of reasons (legacy applicants/strong school spirit/sports/reputation/party school etc.) but I'm not sure if it's the same for the MBA program. What were your stats (GMAT/GPA/undergrad etc.)?

2) Diversity:
International students are listed on the website as 27% of total incoming MBA class. Has ND traditionally struggled with diversity? Is this a prime opportunity for foreign applicants? What is the support like for international students on campus? I ask because as an international student, I'm looking for ways to position and market myself to the adcom in my essays.

3) Recruiting:
If your concentration was Consulting: Which consulting firms frequent ND? I have some information from their placement statistics (~15% by industry - not bad but not spectacular either), but I'd like to get a little more in-depth into how realistic it is to actually land a consulting job with a ND MBA. Seeing as the elite schools get most of the attention from the McKinseys and Bains... I would think the "near elite" likes of IBM, KPMG, Deloitte, Accenture, BearingPoint etc. are more likely to be at ND. Is this a fair assumption? Were you successful in securing an internship with a consulting firm?

4) Consulting Club:
If you were part of the Consulting Club, how was the overall experience? (fun/relaxed/serious/too competitive/career focused). Did being involved improve your overall prep for interviews with consulting firms? Does the club have strong relationships with recruiters? Do the companies hold discussions/practice case interviews during club meetings? Overall did it prepare you for a career in consulting?

5) Quality of Career Services:
How is the Career Services department? Are they supportive/non-responsive. Do they go out of their way to develop strong relationships with recruiters, how are their resume reviews, cover letter prep, practice interviews, etc.? What's the buzz among the students?

6) Ethics / Social Responsibility:
Seems like ND places a strong emphasis on community service, volunteering and ethics. Can anyone confirm/refute this? I have no reason to doubt them, however lots of programs give lip-service to integrating corporate citizenship / social action into their curriculum and I wanted to find out what the feeling is actually like in class...

Lots of questions, but thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some pointers...
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Notre Dame (Mendoza) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 08:34
Does anyone know when ND Application generally gets released?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Notre Dame (Mendoza) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 21:33
Ok, let's try to update the information here. The bell curve rests around a 683 GMAT score.
Re: Notre Dame (Mendoza)   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2010, 21:33