Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun [#permalink]
egmat wrote:

3: Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth gathering information about its size and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations that show with startling directness the large-scale geometry of the universe. (Choice D)

After reading this one, almost all of you will say that “gathering” is a verb-ing modifier that is placed after “Earth” and is not preceded by a comma. Hence, it must modify “Earth”. This modification makes no sense because Earth dis not gather information. The great navigators did. This sentence is incorrect. BUT IN REALITY, this sentence is absolutely correct. Here is why.

Structurally, “who first sailed around the Earth” is a clause. Here “who” stands for “the great navigators”. Now together “the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth” is a big noun phrase (refer to the mini article on noun phrases and Noun modifiers).

Many of you may argue that this entity contains a “who clause”. How can we classify as a noun phrase. We can classify this as a noun phrase since it has a noun at its head. It is of the construction – Noun + Clause.

The head of this big noun phrase is “the great investigators”. Now the “who” clause that modifies “the great investigators” cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence. This gives “gathering”, a noun modifier, the liberty to jump over the preceding modifier and modify the head – “the great investigators”. Hence, “gathering” in this sentence is correctly modifying “the great investigators”.

Futhermore, logically “earth” cannot gather information.

Hi eGMAT/Experts,

I would like to build my understanding more on the above Red colored part.

Example 1
When we say that the earth cannot gather information, it means that it is illogical and hence we should move further to see if we have any other noun that could have been modified by the entity "gathering information.....". By doing so, we found the noun - great navigators and hence the phrase "gathering..." must be modifying "great navigators"

Now, taking the same concept forward to the below example--

Example 2
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus

As the above poster correctly mentions that the eruption of Vesuvius cannot happen in the two letters, hence the modification is illogical and we should move further to see if there is any valid verb/noun to whom it can modify. Here, "Wrote" is the verb that is getting modified correctly by the phrase - in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

Question is - Why we are saying that choice 2 is illogical, however going by the same framework and logic makes the first example correct. Please respond.

Thanks
H
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Simba2012,
I'm glad that you liked the article. But what makes me really happy that now you understand in which scenario "which" can modify a slightly far away noun.
Let me also congratulate for solving the execise correctly. Great job there.

You can also check out a foundation concept on Noun phrases and Noun modifiers.

noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-prequel-135910.html#p1105284

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Can you please confirm if my understanding is right on Sunspots question in OG 13.
Sunspots,vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, appear as dark spots on the sun`s surface, which have never been sighted on the sun`s poles or equators.

can we say that which here points to dark spots ? because on the sun`s surface is a noun modifier ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vigneshceg wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
Can you please confirm if my understanding is right on Sunspots question in OG 13.
Sunspots,vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, appear as dark spots on the sun`s surface, which have never been sighted on the sun`s poles or equators.

can we say that which here points to dark spots ? because on the sun`s surface is a noun modifier ?

Hi Vigneshceg,

Your understanding is correct. You can do a double check with the verb present in the Relative Clause. The Verb is Plural, so it must refer to plural noun. Hence, Dark spots. More often than not(90% cases), you have the helping verb that will clarify the noun that the relative pronoun is referring to. I have given an analysis in this thread only, you may take a look on it.

Thanks
H
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
imhimanshu wrote:
vigneshceg wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Hi Vigneshceg,

Your understanding is correct. You can do a double check with the verb present in the Relative Clause. The Verb is Plural, so it must refer to plural noun. Hence, Dark spots. More often than not(90% cases), you have the helping verb that will clarify the noun that the relative pronoun is referring to. I have given an analysis in this thread only, you may take a look on it.

Thanks
H

Thanks for the reply H.
I saw your previous posts and was informative.
To be honest, I am confused. I thought in the blah blah modified the verb wrote.
We must have more clarity and direction on the thought.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vigneshceg wrote:

Thanks for the reply H.
I saw your previous posts and was informative.
To be honest, I am confused. I thought in the blah blah modified the verb wrote.
We must have more clarity and direction on the thought.

Please refer to the one written on "Feb 25, 2013 8:38 am". I think, you have seen the post written yesterday by me, that is a doubt posted by me not a learning... :)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [4]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Heman2727,

The first thing we should keep in mind is that the rule discussed in this article pertains ONLY to Noun Modifiers.

Another thing I would like to bring to your attention is the nature of prepositional phrases. They can modify Nouns as well as Verb. So we must be very careful to ascertain what it should logically modify and then make sure that its placement is correct.

If you study the GMAT sentence that you have provided, the prepositional phrase “on the branches” modifies the action denoted by “sleeping”. Where do monkeys sleep? On the branches. So this prepositional phrase is not part of “monkeys”. This is the reason why, all the relative pronouns after “branches” refer to “branches”. The relative pronoun cannot jump over those prepositional phrases that do not modify the same noun entity as the relative pronoun modifier modifies.

Study these official examples:
1. Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were televised nationwide.

2. Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

This is the reason why choice D is the correct answer here because “with arms and legs hanging” can logically only refer to monkeys.

Now let’s come to your next question.
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

In this sentence, we must first ascertain what “in two letters” is supposed to modify. It should modify “wrote the only eyewitness account”. Since prepositional phrases can refer to nouns also, incorrect placements make the modification ambiguous. Here, “wrote” is separated by “in two letter” by so many noun entities. This makes it appropriate to place this prepositional phrase closer to the entity it is supposed to modify to avoid any room for ambiguous.

So the original sentence still leaves a little room for ambiguous, but not the correct answer where “in two letters” has been placed in the beginning of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
egmat wrote:

3: Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth gathering information about its size and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations that show with startling directness the large-scale geometry of the universe. (Choice D)

After reading this one, almost all of you will say that “gathering” is a verb-ing modifier that is placed after “Earth” and is not preceded by a comma. Hence, it must modify “Earth”. This modification makes no sense because Earth dis not gather information. The great navigators did. This sentence is incorrect. BUT IN REALITY, this sentence is absolutely correct. Here is why.

Structurally, “who first sailed around the Earth” is a clause. Here “who” stands for “the great navigators”. Now together “the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth” is a big noun phrase (refer to the mini article on noun phrases and Noun modifiers).

Many of you may argue that this entity contains a “who clause”. How can we classify as a noun phrase. We can classify this as a noun phrase since it has a noun at its head. It is of the construction – Noun + Clause.

The head of this big noun phrase is “the great investigators”. Now the “who” clause that modifies “the great investigators” cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence. This gives “gathering”, a noun modifier, the liberty to jump over the preceding modifier and modify the head – “the great investigators”. Hence, “gathering” in this sentence is correctly modifying “the great investigators”.

Futhermore, logically “earth” cannot gather information.

Hi eGMAT/Experts,

I would like to build my understanding more on the above Red colored part.

Example 1
When we say that the earth cannot gather information, it means that it is illogical and hence we should move further to see if we have any other noun that could have been modified by the entity "gathering information.....". By doing so, we found the noun - great navigators and hence the phrase "gathering..." must be modifying "great navigators"

Now, taking the same concept forward to the below example--

Example 2
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus

As the above poster correctly mentions that the eruption of Vesuvius cannot happen in the two letters, hence the modification is illogical and we should move further to see if there is any valid verb/noun to whom it can modify. Here, "Wrote" is the verb that is getting modified correctly by the phrase - in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

Question is - Why we are saying that choice 2 is illogical, however going by the same framework and logic makes the first example correct. Please respond.

Thanks
H

Hi Himanshu,

If you read my explanation to Heman2727 on the OG 12 question, you should get your answer. As far as the GMAT Prep question of "gathering..." is concerned, it is really an uncommon question where we go by the logic and kind of overlook the grammar. However, this is not a common practice.

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Vignesh,

This is the sentence that you present:
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, appear as dark spots on the sun`s surface, which have never been sighted on the sun`s poles or equators.

Now let me present another variation of this sentence:
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, appear on the sun`s surface as dark spots, which have never been sighted on the sun`s poles or equators.

You must keep in mind what the prepositional phrase “on the sun’s surface” modifies. It modifies the verb “appears”. It is not the part of the noun “dark spots”. This is the reason why, in the first sentence, “which” cannot jump over “on the sun’s surface” to modify “dark spots”. In the second sentence, there is no need of jumping over because “which” is placed next to dark spots.

You may read the part of the article where to talks about when the slightly far away modification does not stand.

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pkonduri wrote:
The decision of the European leaders to use the Continent’s bailout funds to recapitalize struggling banks would provide help to banks without directly adding to the sovereign debt in the coming months, which has been a problem for Spain and potentially for Italy.

Hi Raghu,

Noun Modifiers, in this case the relative pronoun "which", can only jump over prepositional phrases preceding them when those prepositional phrases modify the same entity as the noun modifier after the prepositional phrase does. If the preceding prepositional phrase modifies any other entity, then the noun modifier cannot jump over that prepositional. In that case it will modify the immediate preceding noun.

This is what is happening in the sentence that you have provided. "in the coming months" refers to the verb "would provide". This prepositional phrase is not part of "sovereign debts". So, "which" cannot jump over "in the coming months" and modify "sovereign debts".

Now the rules that you have cited also stand correct. But that rule applies to those sentence where the modification is correct. In the above sentence, the modification at the first is incorrect. So there is no question of application of those rules here.

Let's study a set of correct example sentences to see the application of these rules:

1. The box of nails that is made up of wood is in the shelf.
2. The box of nails that are rusted is is in the shelf.

In sentence 1, since the verb "is" after "that" is singular, "that" refers to "box" even if it is preceded by another noun entity "nails". The noun modifier "that" can jump over "of nails" because "of nails" also refers to the "the box." In sentence 2, the verb after "that" is "are", a plural verb. Hence, it needs a plural subject. So that refers to the immediate preceding plural noun "nails".

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Shraddha,
Firstly,I would like to thank you for the article shared.I have another doubt with the question where signifcance of which is specified.

Letters are not the doer of the verb-ing 'outnumbering'

Is this another reason for the original sentence being wrong.

Also please answer to the below question.

John,a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company,is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for making international calls.

A)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for

B)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,leading to a lowering of rates for

C)which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to a lower rates for

D)who is currently working on a new project in the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for

E)has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [2]
Send PM