Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1587 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink]
anuragd wrote:
Hi There,
Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks -which has wrong referent
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking -which has wrong referent
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark -Parallelism error- caused
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks -ambigious referent for it
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark- an event + marks should be the verb

Can someone pls advise me that in choice E why the verb is mark not marks

Tks/Brgds

Anurag

Because mark is modifying extinctions and not event
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hello everyone,

Try this official question.

A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously
(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously

Looking forward to your detailed analysis. :)

The answer should be D.
In A there is ambiguity about the reference being made to the fossils or the big armoured dinosaurs.
B doesn't describe if the fossils are 25 million years old or the dinosaurs are but compares the fossils in the latter half. So, B is eliminated .
C and E have a similar problem. Altough they describe that the fossils are old , the comaprision is made between the types of dinosaurs and the fossils in the later half. So, I eliminated C and E.
McDonough School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-28-2021
GRE 1: Q165 V153

GRE 2: Q167 V151
GPA: 3.7
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Can someone tell me the difference between appositive and noun+noun modifiers?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
Enkhhulan wrote:
Can someone tell me the difference between appositive and noun+noun modifiers?

Enkhhulan

An appositive is a noun modifier that just gives additional information of the preceding noun. Basically a replacement for that noun in a descriptive way. They are usually non-essential modifiers and can be removed from the sentence without affecting the sentence in any way.

For eg. Rio de Janeiro, a city in Brazil, is famous for its Carnival celebration.

In the above example "a city in Brazil" is giving more information about Rio De Janeiro.

On the other hand, Noun + Noun Modifier can modify either a preceding noun, any noun in the preceding clause or the whole clause itself. The examples are pretty well explained above in this article.

For eg.
These micro-organisms decompose organic matter in the soil and release plant nutrients, a process which occurs particularly rapidly in an oxidised soil under tropical conditions of warmth and humidity

The noun "a process" that follows the main clause "These micro .... nutrients" summarizes the main clause in word and then what follows that noun (a process) is modifying this noun further.

Hope that helps!!

Send PM
Shameekv1989

Thank you for your explanation.
I want to clarify one thing that appositive is differ from noun+noun modifier in way that appositive is non essential, that noun+noun modifier is essential.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Send PM
Enkhhulan wrote:
Shameekv1989

Thank you for your explanation.
I want to clarify one thing that appositive is differ from noun+noun modifier in way that appositive is non essential, that noun+noun modifier is essential.

Enkhhulan

Appositives can be essential as well as I understand:-

For eg. The author O. Henry wrote “One Thousand Dollars.” -> O.Henry modifying the author.

Basically appositive (O. Henry) is what you can replace for the other noun (the author).

Noun + Noun modifier can be non-essential as well since they are modifying the clause before it which can stand for itself. This will just provide more information about the clause before it.

So Noun + Noun modifier and appositives are totally different things and don't have much to do with essential and non-essential. They both are modifiers having different functions.

Send PM
here are some examples of appositives, can you explain on these sentences.

1. that state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
this example is similar that noun + noun modifier that modifies any noun in preceding clause

2. yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile female workers.
this example is similar that noun + noun modifier that modifies preceding noun

i couldn't find the difference between above examples and the examples given in this noun+noun modifier article.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Send PM
Enkhhulan wrote:
here are some examples of appositives, can you explain on these sentences.

1. that state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
this example is similar that noun + noun modifier that modifies any noun in preceding clause

2. yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile female workers.
this example is similar that noun + noun modifier that modifies preceding noun

i couldn't find the difference between above examples and the examples given in this noun+noun modifier article.

Enkhhulan :- These are not appositives - these are noun + noun modifier examples. "rules" in i) is an example of Summative modifier - a rule was defined in the main clause and then just using a single word noun (rules) to summarizes the main clause and expand it further for additional information for the rules.

Similarly in ii) wasps after comma summarizes those yellow jackets - a species of wasps and then wasps after comma takes everything from the main clause (what kind of wasps - yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps)

Here is one more example :-
America’s latest probe to Mars, Insight landed safely on the Martian surface on November 26, an event that made it the first rover dedicated to studying the deep interiors of Mars to land successfully on its surface, and is expected to successfully revive two other malfunctioned American rovers on the Martian surface

In this "an event" is summarizing or is standing for "Insight landed safely"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I believe in formal grammar jargon, Noun + Noun modifer are known as "absolute phrases". Correct me if I am wrong!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

Hi egmat can you clarify why in this case the Noun noun modifier does not work out
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alwaysHP wrote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

Hi egmat can you clarify why in this case the Noun noun modifier does not work out

Hello alwaysHP,
Thank you for the question. :-)

The Noun + Noun Modifier does work out in this sentence. The Noun + Noun Modifier in this correct official sentence is "one that is a type...". The clause "they believe" simply acts as a modifier in this part of the sentence. The usage of this SV pair conveys that astronomers believe that this type of supernova explosion is unknown to science. The presence of this clause affects neither the meaning nor the grammar of the sentence.

Hope this helps/ :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator