Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 0 Q0 V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 23:17
A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously- Incorrect Comparison. Fossils are compared to dinosaur type. @Shraddha could you please confirm whether the usage of 'that' is a must in this type of 'and' parallel marker? if it is must, then why so?
(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was-'was' is incorrect as 'that previously was...' refers to those i.e fossils (plural). @Shraddha: If 'was' in this sentence was 'were', is this sentence correct? This sentence has no 'that'.
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were-Incorrect. Same error as A
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously-No errors visible.Correct usage of Absolute Phrase. Absolute phrase modifies 'fossils'
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously-Incorrect. Same error as A

If my post helps, please do appreciate it with a Kudos!!
Cheers to great learning. Knowledge increases by sharing and not by saving!!!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3513 [1] , given: 185

Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

Here is the detailed solution of this one.

A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

Since the meaning of the sentence is pretty simple to understand, let’s move on to error analysis.

Error Analysis:

1. The paleontologists found some fossils and on the basis of this discovery, they announced these dinosaurs were at least 25 million years older than any other similar type previously found in North America. Hence, these two actions are not independent of each other. There is a causal relationship here. Hence, presenting these two information as two independent entities in a parallel list does not make sense.

2. Although it’s a not a deterministic error, it’s worth mentioning. Comma + and is used to join more than two entities in the list. Here it has been used to join two entities. Since comma lies in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we do need suitable structure.

3. Also pronoun “they” can refer to “dinosaurs” as well as “fossils”.

PoE:

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was: Incorrect.
1. This choice repeats all the errors of Choice A.
2. “those of” now stands for “fossils”. This leads to incorrect comparison. Logically, the comparison should be between two types of “dinosaurs”. But here the comparison is incorrect any way. If “they” refers to “fossils”, then the comparison is between fossils. This is certainly incorrect. If “they” refers to “dinosaurs” then the comparison is illogical because now “dinosaurs” are compared to “fossils”.

(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were: Incorrect. Incorrect. This choice as illogical comparison. Entities compared – “fossils” and “any similar dinosaur types”.

(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously: Correct.

(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously: Incorrect. Same comparison error as in choice C.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 09:30
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Here is the detailed solution of this one.

Since the meaning of the sentence is pretty simple to understand, let’s move on to error analysis.

Error Analysis:

1. The paleontologists found some fossils and on the basis of this discovery, they announced these dinosaurs were at least 25 million years older than any other similar type previously found in North America. Hence, these two actions are not independent of each other. There is a causal relationship here. Hence, presenting these two information as two independent entities in a parallel list does not make sense.

2. Although it’s a not a deterministic error, it’s worth mentioning. Comma + and is used to join more than two entities in the list. Here it has been used to join two entities. Since comma lies in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we do need suitable structure.

3. Also pronoun “they” can refer to “dinosaurs” as well as “fossils”.

PoE:

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was: Incorrect.
1. This choice repeats all the errors of Choice A.
2. “those of” now stands for “fossils”. This leads to incorrect comparison. Logically, the comparison should be between two types of “dinosaurs”. But here the comparison is incorrect any way. If “they” refers to “fossils”, then the comparison is between fossils. This is certainly incorrect. If “they” refers to “dinosaurs” then the comparison is illogical because now “dinosaurs” are compared to “fossils”.

(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were: Incorrect. Incorrect. This choice as illogical comparison. Entities compared – “fossils” and “any similar dinosaur types”.

(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously: Correct.

(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously: Incorrect. Same comparison error as in choice C.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

here there are other errors too right?? What about tense errors? So here the correct ans is a noun modifier right?

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 23:43
Hi Egmat,

All these Noun + Noun Modifiers are phrases or clauses?

Regards,
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 100

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 16:16
This post received
KUDOS
gorupruthi wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Try this official question (OG Verbal 2#100) to aee if you have understood the concept discussed in the article well.

Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha ,
It is a great great article. Note that i have not mistakenly written "great" 2 times :):)
I have 1 doubt in respect to tense in this question.Why we are using Mark in present tense . Acc. to my analysis since that happened 65million years ago.
Also i got confused and assumed "it" in choice D should refer to Event , because original choice structure is like not giving any indication that "marks" should be the verb of extinctiojns.So thats why i chose D as correct one.
Please clarify that how i can avoid such mistakes.

Regards,
Gourav

Hi Shraddha,

Great to read this article. I have question of understanding this sentence correctly. I chose D as correct answer (although base on your analysis, it's wrong). Same with Gourav, think "an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks " is true because "event" refer to "an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America". The event "an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America" leads to two things: 1>plant and animal extinctions and 2>marks the end of the geologic era. It's logical to think that "asteroid slammed into North America" causes the end of the geologic era because this is the end of "GEOLOGIC" not the "LIVES" of plant and animal. That's why D is an option. How do you think?

Best regards,
Lucy

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-06-2013
GPA: 3.52
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 23:25
Amazing work indeed. Noun+Noud modifiers, a topic that was very confusing earlier, is now checked.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 05:52
Hello Shraadha & Payal,

I need help with the following:

James created a magnificent design by using latest graphic design tools, a work acknowleged and appreciated by all investors.

I understand that the underlined text is a noun+noun modifier. But i believe it is also an independent clause -it has a clear subject(work) and a verb (acknowledged and appreciated).

My question is why is an IC(the first sentence) connected to another IC(the underlined sentence) by just a comma?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 21:43
catfreak wrote:
Thanks Shraddha. Found a question on Noun + Noun Modifier

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
persisting
persists
persisted
they persist
are persisting

OA - A
Can you please explain why C is wrong. The explanation talks about parallelism but how is it possible to have present participle parallel to past participle.

To Answer above :
1) dividing the sentence into subject verb pairs:
Astronomers have theorized - Astronomers have
that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particlesthat -> theory(subject) governs(verb)
that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.that -> particles(subject) created(verb)

2) Verb form is all correct
3) checking the usage of 'and'
particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion - Parallel as atom consists of two things
and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space - this and is connecting two modifiers of the particles i.e they comprise atoms and molecules also they(particles) persisting in the empty spaces as well. Hence, to keep the parallelism the modifiers must be parallel i.e. Present Participal form is best suited here.

option B is incorrect because particles are plural - hence persists is wrong word.
Option C,D and E are not accurate.

Please correct me in case above is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 54

Re: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIERS Before we start discussing about the [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 22:17
GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
catfreak wrote:
Thanks Shraddha. Found a question on Noun + Noun Modifier

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
persisting
persists
persisted
they persist
are persisting

OA - A
Can you please explain why C is wrong. The explanation talks about parallelism but how is it possible to have present participle parallel to past participle.

To Answer above :
1) dividing the sentence into subject verb pairs:
Astronomers have theorized - Astronomers have
that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particlesthat -> theory(subject) governs(verb)
that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.that -> particles(subject) created(verb)

2) Verb form is all correct
3) checking the usage of 'and'
particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion - Parallel as atom consists of two things
and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space - this and is connecting two modifiers of the particles i.e they comprise atoms and molecules also they(particles) persisting in the empty spaces as well. Hence, to keep the parallelism the modifiers must be parallel i.e. Present Participal form is best suited here.

option B is incorrect because particles are plural - hence persists is wrong word.
Option C,D and E are not accurate.

Please correct me in case above is not correct.

'Persisted' in option B is a verb not a modifier.
It is the action of 'atoms and molecules' and not 'particles' which is the subject.
How can this be corrected? By removing the verb and replacing it with a verb-ing modifier.

Additionally, the sentence would now be of the construction ->

Both are modifiers; separated by 'and' and are parallel.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 01:41
Wow! Your step by step process of explanation seems to be the best so far. Thank you for such a nice and self explanatory article.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 06:04
Would persist have also worked here even though it was not an answer choice?
Seems like that is the most natural choice.
Thanks
Manager
Manager

Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 07:41
Policarpa wrote:
Would persist have also worked here even though it was not an answer choice?
Seems like that is the most natural choice.
Thanks

The sentence is of the construction ->

Both are modifiers; separated by 'and' and are parallel.

'Persist' is a verb. And the underlined part is a modifier. A verb cannot be parallel with the modifier.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 03:18
Hi There,

Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks -which has wrong referent
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking -which has wrong referent
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark -Parallelism error- caused
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks -ambigious referent for it
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark- an event + marks should be the verb

Can someone pls advise me that in choice E why the verb is mark not marks

Tks/Brgds

Anurag
Manager
Manager

Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 03:49
anuragd wrote:
Hi There,

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks -which has wrong referent
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking -which has wrong referent
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark -Parallelism error- caused
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks -ambigious referent for it
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark- an event + marks should be the verb

Can someone pls advise me that in choice E why the verb is mark not marks

Tks/Brgds

Anurag

Because mark is modifying extinctions and not event

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 81

Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 08:47
undoubtedly, a super article. I hope at least I will not make mistake in these type of sentences.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Yale '16, ISB '15, NUS
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.88
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 21:23
Thanks E GMAT. You are doing a fab job. I will follow you now.. For your answer and explanation.

Thanks,
AB

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16

Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 20:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
Regarding the above mentioned question, I would like to know since the modifiers are referring to an event in the past, why they are both using present tense verbs?

In 2000, just 24 products were responsible for increase in the money spent on prescriptions.the phenomenon that is explained not just by the fact that:
a. drugs are becoming more expensive.
b. doctors are prescribing expensive drugs.

Thanks and kudos
Intern
Intern

Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 01:21
For some who is starting to prepare for GMAT and very much afraid of this terms, your articles are going to be very helpful !!!
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 01:21