Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Now generally regarded as a forgery

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 19:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (02:03) correct 26% (00:56) wrong based on 154 sessions
Please check the attachment.

Don't need the correct option what u think ..but why u think ...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

now generally.jpg
now generally.jpg [ 97.52 KiB | Viewed 3526 times ]

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1594 [0], given: 249

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 21:39
Expert's post
A: correct choice; avoids unnecessary shift of tense
B: stone was said to record does not convey any worthwhile meaning. Thus being cited is also ironic, as if it is being cited these days, while it is already confirmed to as a forged one.
C: said to have recorded modifies the stone. Is it logical? In addition, the sentence is a fragment with no prime verb
D: A combi-error of B and C put together

E; said to have recorded is wrong; sentence is also a fragment with the unnecessary intrusion of the sub-ordinate conjunction, which

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 23:22
As daagh points out, C, D, and E are all sentence fragments so the question falls quite quickly into choosing between A and B. For B, "thus being cited" is awkward and wordy.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 301

Kudos [?]: 467 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Answering a PM on this one :).

I think the best split on this one is between those answer choices that are sentences and those that are fragments. For instance, if we take a look at (C), (D), and (E), none of them are sentences. Notice the clause beginning 'which' makes it so there is no verb that describes the Stone. Hence, (C), (D) and (E) can be eliminated. (B) has the dreaded 'being'. And just like that, we arrive at the correct answer, (A).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 16:53
Could an alternative split be on "explored"?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3511 [2] , given: 185

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi @Sujit2k7,
Now generally regarded a forgery, the Kensingston Rune Stone, a 90-kilogram slab of inscribed stone discovered in Minnesota in 1898, was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored North America in pre-Columbian times.

Since the meaning of this sentence is pretty easy to understand, let’s perform the error analysis here.

1. Singular verb “was said” makes sense and agrees in number with singular subject “the Kensington Stone”.
2. The usage of simple past tense throughout the sentence is correct because it is presenting general information of events that took place in the past.
3. The verbs “was said” and “was cited” are parallel.
4. All the phrases used are correct here. Hence this sentence is correct as is.

POE:

A. was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored: Correct for the reasons cited above.

B. was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, thus being cited as evidence for Europeans exploration: Incorrect.
1. Use of “was said to record” is incorrect. Now this verb phrase suggests that the stone was supposed to record something. Whether ot has done that or not is not confirmed.
2. Use of “being cited” is not correct.

C. said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence for European exploration of: Incorrect.
1. There is no verb for the subject “the Kensington Stone”. We have a fragment here.
2. I would prefer preposition “by” instead of preposition “of” after exploration.

D. which was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence that Europeans explored: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same fragment error of choice C.
2. Relative pronoun “which” is modifying preceding noun “1898”. This modification is illogical.

E. which, said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, was thus cited as evidence for Europeans exploring: Incorrect.
2. We do not know what “said to have… in 1362” is referring to.
3. The way this choice is worded, it seems to suggest that evidence was cited for Europeans. This is not the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 12:24
Now generally regarded a forgery, the Kensingston Rune Stone, a 90-kilogram slab of inscribed stone discovered in Minnesota in 1898, was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored North America in pre-Columbian times.

removing the modifiers, the stem reduces to :

The rune stone .... WAS SAID............... AND........... WAS CITED..................... ( we can safely drop the adverb THUS precceding was cited )

WAS SAID ........... AND................WAS CITED ( parallel )

Leading to A = my take
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 11:27
A - has correct parallelism with passive voice sentences

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 75

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 10:02
egmat wrote:
Hi @Sujit2k7,

Since the meaning of this sentence is pretty easy to understand, let’s perform the error analysis here.

1. Singular verb “was said” makes sense and agrees in number with singular subject “the Kensington Stone”.
2. The usage of simple past tense throughout the sentence is correct because it is presenting general information of events that took place in the past.

POE:

A. was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored: Correct for the reasons cited above.

B. was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, thus being cited as evidence for Europeans exploration: Incorrect.
1. Use of “was said to record” is incorrect. Now this verb phrase suggests that the stone was supposed to record something. Whether ot has done that or not is not confirmed.

C. said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence for European exploration of: Incorrect.
1. There is no verb for the subject “the Kensington Stone”. We have a fragment here.
2. I would prefer preposition “by” instead of preposition “of” after exploration.

D. which was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence that Europeans explored: Incorrect.
2. Relative pronoun “which” is modifying preceding noun “1898”. This modification is illogical.

E. which, said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, was thus cited as evidence for Europeans exploring: Incorrect.
3. The way this choice is worded, it seems to suggest that evidence was cited for Europeans. This is not the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha

How do you identify that in option C said is past participle not past tense?

i chose "C" because i thought "said" and "cited" are past tense.

I am still not able to undertand why "A" is correct and why "C" is wrong?

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3511 [0], given: 185

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 10:26
Expert's post
greatps24 wrote:

Read this article to understand the difference between a verb-ed simple past tense and verb-ed modifier:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

If you still have any question, let me know. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3511 [0], given: 185

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 10:38
Expert's post
greatps24 wrote:

Hi there,

Read the following article to understand the difference between verd-ed simple past tense and verb-ed modifier:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

If you still have questions, do ask me.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 156

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 05:31
Hey,

Can anyone pls explain me why the option D is fragment.

Thanks in advance

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 09:48
Expert's post
Choice D is part of the relative clause introduced by the relative pronoun which and a subordinate clause and was is the verb for the same; said and cited are past participles; The verb explored in the last part is the verb for the sub-clause introduced by the conjunction—that-- The main clause with the main subject – the Kensington Rune Stone— is just dangling whiteout a verb; Hence D is a fragment

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 03:25
egmat wrote:
Hi @Sujit2k7,

POE:

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Can 'which' modify anything other than a human for whom we need a 'who'?
In one of the wrong answer choices above, we have which modifying a year. Technically, can 'which ' modify a year?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 08:49
I can also go to A.
but I have a problem
normaly, past simle tense which means a past action in the past is accompanies by a adverb, a specific time in the past. In A, the oa, there is no such adverb.
this question is not good.

pls, correct me if I am wrong? Thank you.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 02:56
I got it wrong . I had read that present perfect cannot be used with a particular time frame. I remember this reading on E gmat. Can you please help.

Archit
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 04:51
Expert's post
I am afraid that there is no such stipulation that a verb, ( be it past tense, or present or future, generally or compulsorily) needs to be accompanied or preceded by an adverb. If it is there take it if it is not there, forget it . One cannot call it ungrammatical; For example:

I ate - a simple two - word sentence, but a complete one; no need to know what I ate.
I ate mangoes – a verb followed by an object
I ate the mangoes slowly - a verb followed by an object and an adverb.

We can see all the above sentences are perfectly grammatical sentences.

Now, for the difference between a verb such as present perfect and an infinitive; “have recorded” is no doubt a present perfect but “to have recorded” is not a present perfect verb; it is as infinitive ( because of the addition of the word “to”) and called a verbal

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 15:46
egmat wrote:
Hi @Sujit2k7,

POE:

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha

I understood how "B" is wrong by your explanation.

For C can you please explain what do you mean by " There is no verb for the subject “the Kensington Stone”. We have a fragment here."
can you explain in detail

For D
What is the fragment error. This looks like B to me
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 06:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2014, 06:48