Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/7) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 10:41
tkkoh:

The main problem is that I have no idea on what to improve on exactly. For a re-app in Fall 2009, the only thing I have control over is my GMAT score and my LOI. Professors who were extremely cordial and helpful before have now suddenly stopped responding to emails, so I have no idea which parts of my application didn't make the cut for specific programs. Granted my ego and overinflated evaluation of myself might think that I would be happier in a better program, spending a whole year just to improve my GMAT and rewrite my LOI does seem somewhat wasteful, especially when professors in my own master's program have taken to advising students against having any sort of gaps in their record. One common theme I hear from Adcoms in my own university is: "Why does he have a one year gap there? Does he not know what he wants to do with his life? Is he some sort of hippy? So what if he improved something, that just means he had bad planning from the beginning!"

I do realize I have to weight my own risks and payoffs, but the utter lack of feedback and information does not make it any easier.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/7) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 11:08
For feedback - you can try contacting those profs whom you have talked to before, and ask them why you are rejected and how you can improve.

Sometimes the admission process is extremely random. Of course there are applicants who are definitely not a good fit to the school, and hence they get rejected. But sometimes, the problem is not with the applicant, but with the faculty or school - e.g. some are not taking in students, some cannot take it students, changes in focus, etc.

Not sure if saying this will hurt you more, but I'm surprise that given your profile - esp your research experience and LOR - you are not getting into some of the places. But remember, the problem may not lie with you. Also you still have a few other good schools on your list. Keep your head up.

Best wishes.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/7) [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 05:16
update: i have 2 interviews. the first is tomorrow at Michigan State. i am VERY excited and moderately nervous. the second is at University of Massachusetts in a few weeks.

i feel like interviewing is one of my strong points - i genuinely enjoy meeting people and discussing my background/the program/accounting/etc. and i'm usually able to stay relaxed and confident. although, i should state that all of my interview experience thus far has been at the corporate level.

i've done some homework on the six (yikes) professors with whom i will be meeting tomorrow and hope to be able to discuss their research at least somewhat during the interviews.

any last minute words of advice from anyone? also, this is maybe a strange question, but what should i wear? a plain suit and tie seems very "banker" and boring to me. i have selected nice pin-striped trousers with a shirt and tie and a black v-neck sweater. it is dressy, but not a traditional suit and tie. i just kept looking at myself in a suit thinking that i looked like i was going to work at a bank or going to someone's funeral.

please wish me luck!! :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/7) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 19:59
Update on the schools I've heard from:

Columbia Univ (Business) - rejected
Univ Chicago (Business) - rejected
Univ California - Berkeley (Haas) - rejected
Univ Michigan - Ann Arbor (Ross) - rejected
UCLA (Anderson) - offered
UC Irvine (Merage) - offered
Univ Illinois - Urbana Champaign (Psych) - rejected
Univ Illinois - Urbana Champaign (Business) - waiting
Cornell Univ (ILR) - offered
Univ Toronto - (Rotman) - offered
Univ Minnesota - Twin Cities (Carlson - IRC) - offered
Manager
Manager

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 20:55
gheffo: Congrats! Those are some pretty good schools!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 04:47
accepted at Michigan State - Fall 2008 PhD Accounting!! :-D

i'm ecstatic!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 10:50
Congratz... Nice work.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 11:08
Hey Kumbaya - I see that you have updated your post as denied by Seattle (sorry, buddy, they dinged me too). Do you mind me asking if you recieved notification or had to contact them? I am left with the unsettling certainty that had I not called, I would never have found out my result. That is inappropriate, in my opinion.

Anyway, congrats on SUNY - knock 'em dead.
Manager
Manager

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 23:29
Penny10:

I got an email on 3/14 from admiss-decision @ grad.washington.edu, titled "University of Washington Graduate Application Decision", with all the information in the email, no link to any other pages. Sometimes I do wonder if adcoms are just waiting to see who cracks and calls/emails first, and reject them out of an "inability to stay patient!", since my rejection from Columbia came right after I emailed them to ask :roll:

So just out of curiosity, where is everybody headed?

EDIT: tinkered to remove the email link...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 10:44
Ahhhh... thanks. That is a different URL than any I programmed into my email safety net. So they probably did try to notify me. 'Sokay, though. Seattle is too rainy anyway!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/7) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 10:57
gheffo wrote:

wow, congrats! whats is your undergrad gpa (not just the 3.7 from the last two years)

i ask b/c my ugrad gpa is so so. 3.1 overall, some dropped courses etc... but my last two years were in the realm of 3.7-3.8 too.
Intern
Intern

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/7) [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 13:43
Undegrad gpa was 3.2. I felt this was the weakest part of my application and led to me being screened out right away by some of the schools.

anonymousegmat wrote:
gheffo wrote:

wow, congrats! whats is your undergrad gpa (not just the 3.7 from the last two years)

i ask b/c my ugrad gpa is so so. 3.1 overall, some dropped courses etc... but my last two years were in the realm of 3.7-3.8 too.
Manager
Manager

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 03:43
Some adcoms I've been in contact with stated they would be willing to let less-than-satisfactory undergrad grades slide by if the applicant had outstanding GRE/GMAT scores. Of course, I think gheffo's GRE scores are amazing... but then again, maybe some adcoms wanted somebody who was outstanding in both GPA and GRE/GMAT.

Also, I was told unless your graduate degree had something to do with hard quant, grades there don't count much towards anything.
Intern
Intern

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 10:26
My experience had led me to believe that different schools use different screening methods because I've either been rejected or accepted outright. The ones that rejected me likely did so outright because of my undergrad GPA. I believe that some schools have in place certain mininum standards for each criteria and if you fall below any one of the standards, they'll throw you out. If what I've heard about the admins doing the first round of screening is true for schools in general, then this makes sense. The ones that accepted me probably took a more balanced holistic perspective (where a lower undergrad GPA can be made up for if all the other areas of the application are strong (e.g. GRE, Grad GPA, References, SOP, etc.).

Kumbaya wrote:
Some adcoms I've been in contact with stated they would be willing to let less-than-satisfactory undergrad grades slide by if the applicant had outstanding GRE/GMAT scores. Of course, I think gheffo's GRE scores are amazing... but then again, maybe some adcoms wanted somebody who was outstanding in both GPA and GRE/GMAT.

Also, I was told unless your graduate degree had something to do with hard quant, grades there don't count much towards anything.
Manager
Manager

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 09:51
Yeah... it's actually not hard to figure this out, if only I had known back then. Mind you, there will always be exceptions, but some schools have websites with student profiles. Click through each and one of them and sometimes it does sorta hit home what kind of measure you were up against.

gheffo: I agree. The schools you were accepted to were nice enough to give me feedback on my application, and actually gave me almost a point-for-point breakdown in what they were looking for. Most of those did indeed take a holistic approach. Speaking of which, have you heard from UIUC?

Also, no idea if this will be of any help to anybody... most of you probably already know anyway. I just got a call from an adcom, and the prof was actually nice enough to go into some of their financials. This year lots of schools are feeling the crunch, and don't have as much funding as they would like, leading to decreased admissions. For Top 10 schools, this won't be as devastating since they don't take in more than a handful each year. For other schools, this is actually pretty horrible. Worst news? Next year isn't looking great either.
Intern
Intern

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 17:13
kumbaya: no word from UIUC yet, they're the last one I'm waiting to hear from.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 12:15
Kumbaya wrote:

what would one consider "hard quant"? im taking as part of my masters the calculus sequence, linear algebra, intro stat, regression, multivariate, probability thoery, as well as the usual research methods and a couple of marketing classes.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 07:10
Update: I didn't get in anywhere. Time to figure out how best to improve my GMAT score and apply again in the fall.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 08:50
anonymousegmat wrote:
Kumbaya wrote:

what would one consider "hard quant"? im taking as part of my masters the calculus sequence, linear algebra, intro stat, regression, multivariate, probability thoery, as well as the usual research methods and a couple of marketing classes.

ugh, sorry, been busy trying to finish my thesis.

Yeah, all those classes would be good hard quant courses that adcoms will like.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 03:44
Take 2 for me (rejected everywhere on the first try):

3.5 undergrad - Michigan State
Econ and Accounting BA
18 months experience in IT
4.5 years in Corporate

710 on the GMAT (Q 48 V 38) (compared to 610 the first time)

Will send in apps for accounting Ph.D programs.
Prelim list (might expand to more schools in the coming months):

PhD:

UT Austin
U Michigan
U Chicago
Wharton
U Washington
MSU
HBS

Since I did much better on the GMAT, I will also apply to MBA programs:

MBA:

U Michigan
Wharton
HBS
Chicago

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Now the waiting... (Status Update 3/17)   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2009, 03:44