Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NPhelan's Road to 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
So I'm pretty new to this whole blog, I've used it well though. I've gained a lot of valuable knowledge that I would not have known otherwise. But here's the bottom line. I'm writing my first GMAT in December. I've opted to give myself plenty of time to really get this going and with my undergrad (Bachelor of Business Administration from Memorial University of Newfoundland) wrapping up in a little less then a month. Time is going to fly by until September 14th, the day in which my 3 month execution of the GMAT begins.

My goal, it's simple in terms of typing it, yet not so simple in terms of what it is going to mean. I want to land a 700+ on my GMAT. Quite frankly with only 5 courses left to go in my undergrad my current GPA of 2.78 will not be falling/jumping far from it's current position. So it comes down to redemption, a chance to make the last 4 years right. I started my undergrad with very little desire to do business, until my love for investments surfaced about half way through. I started in the Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) program and even completing multiple work terms before dropping out of Commerce and into BBA. I can make as many excuses as I want to that I wanted to save a year here and there, but quite frankly it came down to the fact that the effort was never there.

Well here's my chance, this thread is going to be that recap of my whole experience, that I'll be able to look back on 4 months from now and either say, I did things right, or I let it slip right out of my hands. Whether it comes back with any responses or reads, it's irrelevant to me, this is my own journey, my struggle. I'm looking forward to documenting my progress every couple days, and providing at least a relevant piece of literature by the end of this whole thing.

Let the games begin.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 01:33
This is nice, I hope you achieve what you have set out for. There will be many instances in the future whenyou will feel low and demoralized, that time this blog would up your spirits and give you the necessary thrust to break your limits. Wishing you best of luck and welcome to the GMAT cave. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 06:03
With exams just around the corner in Taxation 6120, Intermediate Macro 3000 and Intermediate Micro 3010 along with Management Strategy 7000, i've been struggling to find a balance in studyin for school and my excitement to start studying for the GMAT. I got roughly 30 pages of my tax text read and analyzed, yet I managed to get through 106 pages of my Kaplan guide :? I think it's time that I just sit down, suck it up, and study for these courses as much as I can.

On the GMAT study front as I mentioned i'm 106 pages in an just unbelievably motivated at this time, I know that might change here and there so when the future me reads this thread, "Keep Going bud". Basically I've only gotten through the Critical Reasoning section and just started all the practice Sentence Correction questions at the end of the chapter. Very pleased and happy mainly because going into this, when I learned that the GMAT made up two sections Verbal and Quant. I was excited about quant, and dreaded verbal. I've always been a student in school that hated english class. It seemed to me that it didn't matter how much I worked at it, the most i'd ever accomplish was a 70, and it didn't matter how little I worked on it I still got that 70. You might be able to tell by my grammar that this is an issue, but who knows, maybe as I keep going through these next 4 months, my grammar will look much different in this thread.

Also on another personal life note, I just handed in a resume for a position at CIBC Wood Gundy. It is a contract 12 month position (perfect right? :lol: ) as a Sales Assistant. The job requires someone with a degree, it was fairly well hidden, and is in the field of finance. The reason this job seems to fit me perfectly is 1. The contract brings me right up until about 2 weeks before matriculation, which is perfect in case I need to pack up and drive halfway across the country to get to school . 2. A Sales Assistant is actually the entry position available at Wood Gundy (for those of you outside of Canada who are not familiar with their work, Wood Gundy is in the top five firms in Canada with regards to investing, financial planning, financial analysts), this would get my foot in the door as a great experience and open up a lot of windows down the line after my MBA whether with Wood Gundy or TD Waterhouse or Scotia Mcleod. 3. They require that whoever fills in the position takes the CSC (Canadian Securities Course). This is a course I've been eyeing anyway for two reasons: it looks good on my application when applying to Grad schools, and it is a required program if I want to work in investments.

So all in all on this Sunday morning, there's a lot of promise and excitement with regards to my future, hopefully that can carry over, I can get through my exams coming up in a couple weeks, and then I can move on and get that coveted 700+ on my GMAT. So that's all for now I suppose, thanks for listening to this verbal vomit, I promise as I get further into, primarily past the month of August this thread is going to be much more relevant for gmatclub.com, but in the meantime if it can serve as an indicator to any prospective gmat writers about some of the obstacles you might face, well that's just gravy.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 02:56
Good Luck Mate

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 11:36
So as my focus continues to shift from the GMAT to my final exams creeping up in less than two weeks, all I can manage to ask myself is what books/methods/study plans am I going to follow in august. I'm curious to see how that GMAT score is going to come back before I start my studying . I would love something north of 500 to give me hope that I can really make a jump, but only time will tell I guess.

Also if anyone out there is reading this, mind telling me what is the best test to take prior to my study schedule to monitor my progress? I don't want to waste a valuable test that I will need in the 3rd month of my program, but I still want something accurate.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
I will advice that you chose cats of one particular company to track your progress for 3 months. You can take tests from either manhattan or kaplan. Though manhattan has best reputation after gmatprep. You can take one diagnostic sort of a test and then take tests only after you have done some considerable amount of study. Manhattan provides 6 and kaplan provides 5 tests, so you can chose one of 2 to track your progress all through your journey. gmatprep is a very valuable test and use it wisely. Best of luck for your prep.
Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 19:05
great advice!! thank you so much, that's what i'll do, certainly makes sense to monitor my progress by using the same standard of tests. It seems like the GMATPrep is being used in most cases in the final month. Thanks again!

Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 18:12
So here I am, a week from my first exam of 5 to end my undergrad program. Just a quick update on what's been keeping me this week beside the exam. How about an interview with Deloitte! Had it today and hoping to hear back next week about the position, certainly very thrilled about this opportunity as Deloitte is certainly one of those dream companies. Eventually to work in consulting with Deloitte would be amazing but not going to get ahead of myself here, I'll have to wait and hear back next week. Also with the prospect of this position for the next year (and possibly beyond), an interesting thing popped up. They not only pay for a certain percentage of your schooling for grad school, they often pay for the program and books of a CFA itself. That would be unbelievable for me, and the possibility may be too good to pass up if it presents itself. So the question to anyone out there this week.

How effective would it be to write my L1 CFA in December, keeping in mind I write my GMAT as well. Many of the positions offered by PWC or Deloitte among others require a designation, undergrad and mba. What do you thing gmatclubbers?

Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 12:11
Exam in two days, just quickly chiming in for what will probably be the only time for the next week. Currently looking into schools that I could apply to. I've settled two specific schools and then the other 3 or 4 i'm interested in continue to rotate and flip flop. Currently Schulich and Rotman continue to prove to be my top two choices, the only thing worse then not getting into either might be getting into both :s Other schools on the radar are Concordia, Ivey. Also keeping my options open looking into Some international schools. Not sure which ones I would be the best fit for, or which ones would be the best fit for me, but I can't help but "California Dreamin" of a few options. Also been very optimistic about a couple schools in Australia and New Zealand. I've always wanted to live in New Zealand so this could be an opportunity to get an education in the Oceanic region, while getting a chance to live for the moment. I guess we'll see. Also a quick update on the Deloitte situation, just got a call from my references this week saying they have been contacted. That's great news.... right?

That's all I got right now, back to finishing my undergrad!

Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 10:34
Quick Update: I got the call today. Just landed my Job with Deloitte. certainly makes for an interesting twist in the MBA picture and when to take it! Either way it looks like i'm on the right path to eventually get into Consulting!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hey congrats on having nailed that job :)

You might want to check Whiplash's GMAT journey thread. I think it will benefit you a lot! I love the way she structured her entire prep time. The approach is systematic and effective.

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 13:08
That sounds great! Thanks for the advice

kudos +1

Manager
Manager

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 13:09
And after officially graduating my undergrad at Memorial University, and September 14th slowly approaching I am back in the GMAT game after a well deserved couple weeks off. I haven't posted in a little bit but I've been busy starting my new job with Deloitte, making sure I have the right materials for the studying process and set to go from there. Official date for writing the GMAT December 15th. So the three month count down will be starting on Wednesday. I plan on getting heavy into it and learning the processes and techniques to help get me above 700 on the GMAT. So here we go!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.94
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 17

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 14:11
Congratulations on your Deloitte offer (definitely a great job to have on the resume as an applicant to MBA programs), and best of luck in your preparation for the GMAT!

Link to my debrief: gmat-debrief-770-q51-v45-120508.html

Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2011, 14:11