Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2006, 13:43
very very late, but C.

adverbial phrases can be placed anywhere as long as it doesn't create ambiguity.

use 'rather' for verbs
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 20:16
The answer is C.
D and E get eliminated(and merges...) since it talks about Nuclear Fusion's another property ( and merges the nuclei of atoms ....), whereas it actually needs to mean the modus operandi of the Nuclear fusion, which is ok in A,B,C (merging). And out of those 3, C is the complete comparison.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 05:53
In 1000SC the answer mentioned for this question is "E" as well. Which is clearly wrong.

But this was a good discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 11:17
Some time we overemphasise the parallalism. This is not the case of parallalism. Subordinate clause is not listing the qualities of fission. It is explaining the main clause. Read it this way,

Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, and hydrogen bombs by merging the nuclei of atoms rather than by splitting them apart, as nuclear reactors do.
C it is.

Now E has 2 problems.
1st ,by using AND as conjunction,E made it look like as if two different qualities of fission are being listed, which is not the case.
2nd problem with E is that it is comparing merging ( action) the nuclei of atoms with atomic reactors.

C corrects this with as nuclear reactors do
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 11:49
I remember, it was really a nice discussion.

This SC still baffles me!

- Brajesh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 23:49
This really sucks! the 1000SC has E for this problem as the OA. However, the good news is I got C, which I thought was wrong because of the 1000SC's OA, but I'm glad to know that I was right thanks to gmatclub. :) Damn, so this means there are mistakes with the OA's in the 1000SC.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 02:09
I would have chosen E on the test day. I know you are coming with the knowledge of fusion and fission but sentence E looks correct to me. Fusion/fission are just terminologies.

and atomic reactors do split apart atoms (phsycially!). :)

C. should have ended with "as is done in nuclear reactors"
D. should have ended with "as nuclear reactors do"

I may be totally wrong in here 8-)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 15:41
paddyboy wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, and hydrogen bombs, merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors.

A) merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors.

B) merging the nuclei of atoms instead of splitting them apart, like nuclear reactors.

C) merging the nuclei of atoms rather than splitting them apart, as nuclear reactors do.

D) and merges the nuclei of atoms but does not split them apart, as is done in nuclear reactors.

E) and merges the nuclei of atoms, unlike atomic reactors that split them apart.

The biggest problem with E is that it compares Nuclear Fusion with Atomic Reactors?

Very late. But C it is.

The trick here is to notice that the listed nouns ends with "AND hydrogen bombs." When this un-underlined portion ends like that, you should know certainly that what comes in the underlined sentence shouldn't be a list anymore, therefore you can eliminate D and E instantely. You know that what will start after the comma will be a present participle. This should do the trick.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 21:43
The use of "and" changes the meaning of the statement, and in the original statement, "as" is preferred over "like" due to the use of verb (you can get some dope in Manhattan Review for the use of like and as). C is therefore a correct choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2008, 01:16
Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, and hydrogen bombs, merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors.

A) merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors.

B) merging the nuclei of atoms instead of splitting them apart, like nuclear reactors.

C) merging the nuclei of atoms rather than splitting them apart, as nuclear reactors do.

D) and merges the nuclei of atoms but does not split them apart, as is done in nuclear reactors.

E) and merges the nuclei of atoms, unlike atomic reactors that split them apart.

i will go with C - perfect.

here b looks good - like + noun phrase. but basis of comparision is not right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 15:15
I got C and saw the official answer E and wondered....now happy
C it is... :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 years in IT

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

Just read it like this "Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun and merges the nuclei of atoms, unlike atomic reactors that split them apart" Think are they two separate actions? NO.

Now
"Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, merging the nuclei of atoms rather than splitting them apart, as nuclear reactors do." This explains that Nuclear fusion is the force that power the Sun by merging the nuclei. Makes more sense.

So it is "C"

To reach a port, we must sail—Sail, not tie at anchor—Sail, not drift.

Intern
Intern

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 22:20
GO WITH WHATEVER IS THERE IN OG. PLEASE POST ANSWERS VERIFIED FROM OG.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 13:16
This one has not been solved yet.
Please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 109

Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 22:15
+1 C 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 12:27
Expert's post
I go with the OG’s OA and OE, simply because they are official ones. But the essence of the passage seems to be to compare nuclear fusion, a phenomenon, with nuclear reactor, just a device or shall we say, a chamber. The phenomenon rightly comparable to fusion is actually fission.

GMAT has highlighted that we shouldn’t compare apples with oranges. Isn’t it ironical that now a reaction is sought to be compared with a rector.

The bottom line is that with LOL for OG, C is the answer.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: SC - nuclear fusion (OG) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 09:08
daagh wrote:
I go with the OG’s OA and OE, simply because they are official ones. But the essence of the passage seems to be to compare nuclear fusion, a phenomenon, with nuclear reactor, just a device or shall we say, a chamber. The phenomenon rightly comparable to fusion is actually fission.

GMAT has highlighted that we shouldn’t compare apples with oranges. Isn’t it ironical that now a reaction is sought to be compared with a rector.

The bottom line is that with LOL for OG, C is the answer.

Physical Apples and Oranges comparison come into picture when you are comparing nouns with Like/Unlike construction.

When you use "as", then it is the actions which are compared. So is the case here. The action "Merging the Nuclei" is compared with "do" in the clause after "as".

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 22:40
Reviving again :P

My answer is E.

If we don't use 'and', I get confused about who is merging: it may sound Sun, etc,. are merging. Usage of 'and' clearly takes me back to 'Nuclear fusion'.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 44

Re: Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 01:15
OA in OG11 is C

D,E: can be eliminated because we need a "that" just after "and"——to keep the two parts of the sentence parallel.

Nuclear fusion is the force that powers....and that merges.......

A : "and not"

B: we need a verb, meanwhile, "like" is not appropriate.
Re: Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars,   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 01:15