Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in geologically quiet

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 698 [2] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in geologically quiet [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (03:11) correct 67% (02:20) wrong based on 326 sessions
Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in “geologically quiet” regions, so called by geologists because such regions are distant from plate boundaries and contain only minor faults. Since no minor fault in a geologically quiet region produces an earthquake more often than once in any given 100,000-year period, it follows that of all potential nuclear reactor sites in such a region, those that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake are ones located near a fault that has produced an earthquake within living memory.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Geologically quiet regions are the least dangerous regions in which to build nuclear reactors.
(B) For any potential nuclear reactor site, the likelihood of being struck by an earthquake is the primary determinant of site safety.
(C) In a geologically quiet region, every potential nuclear reactor site is near at least one minor fault.
(D) Nuclear reactors that are located in geologically quiet regions are built to withstand at least one but not necessarily more than one earthquake of minor to moderate force.
(E) Earthquake faults in geologically quiet regions produce earthquakes at least once in 100,000 years.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4774 [5] , given: 163

Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in “geologically quiet” [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Legendaddy wrote:
Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in “geologically quiet” regions, so called by geologists because such regions are distant from plate boundaries and contain only minor faults. Since no minor fault in a geologically quiet region produces an earthquake more often than once in any given 100,000-year period, it follows that of all potential nuclear reactor sites in such a region, those that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake are ones located near a fault that has produced an earthquake within living memory.
(A) Geologically quiet regions are the least dangerous regions in which to build nuclear reactors.
(B) For any potential nuclear reactor site, the likelihood of being struck by an earthquake is the primary determinant of site safety.
(C) In a geologically quiet region, every potential nuclear reactor site is near at least one minor fault.
(D) Nuclear reactors that are located in geologically quiet regions are built to withstand at least one but not necessarily more than one earthquake of minor to moderate force.
(E) Earthquake faults in geologically quiet regions produce earthquakes at least once in 100,000 years.

I understand when people crib about RC and SC. But the truth is that CR is not hard to rule. All you need is some patience and correct guidance.
You need to find the assumption here. An assumption is a missing premise that is necessary for the conclusion to hold - again, it is necessary for the conclusion. Look for the conclusion of the argument.

Conclusion: Of all potential nuclear reactor sites in such a region, those that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake are ones located near a fault that has produced an earthquake within living memory

Go on to the options now:

The conclusion categorically states: "Of all potential sites in such a region" i.e. it is only considering quiet regions. It is not comparing geologically quiet regions with other regions so this option is out of scope.

Again, the conclusion does not talk about 'site safety'. It only discusses the likelihood of an earthquake. So again out of scope.

The conclusion says that of all potential sites in a quiet region, the safest (regarding earthquakes) is the one near a minor fault that has recently produced an earthquake. It does make sense in a way since a recent earthquake would have settled the plates and hence it is not very likely that another earthquake will happen anytime soon. But the question is - 'Is it necessary that there will be a minor fault near all the potential sites?' How about a site which has no faults and hence no chance of an earthquake? Hence, when we say, 'Build the plant near a minor fault which has seen an earthquake in the recent past,' we are assuming that there is no site which has no faults. We are assuming that every potential site has at least one minor fault. Answer (C)

Again, it is out of scope since the conclusion does not talk about how many earthquakes the reactor can stand. It is only trying to find the site where chances of an earthquake are minimum.

We don't need to assume this to make the conclusion true. 1 in a 100,000 is just the average. There needn't be 1 in every 100,000 yrs. The conclusion is only trying to find the most stable area to make the reactor. A fault that has experienced an earthquake recently is expected to be more stable that a site with a minor fault which hasn't experienced an earthquake lately.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in geologically quiet [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in “geologically quiet” [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 22:35
Expert's post
Legendaddy wrote:

This was good one.
The conclusion is ALL potential nuclear reactor sites in such a region, those that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake are ones located near a fault that has produced an earthquake within living memory..
Here negation or POE can be one's arsenal.
ABD are out of scope.
E is a restatement of the premise.
On negating C, C becomes: In a geologically quiet region, NOT ALL potential nuclear reactor site is near at least one minor fault. If this is true, then by no chance the conclusion can stand intact.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 698 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in “geologically quiet” [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 23:32
Marcab wrote:
This was good one.
The conclusion is ALL potential nuclear reactor sites in such a region, those that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake are ones located near a fault that has produced an earthquake within living memory..
Here negation or POE can be one's arsenal.
ABD are out of scope.
E is a restatement of the premise.
On negating C, C becomes: In a geologically quiet region, NOT ALL potential nuclear reactor site is near at least one minor fault. If this is true, then by no chance the conclusion can stand intact.

Good job buddy. Unfortunately CR is mopping the floor with me :(

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-05-2014
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in geologically quiet [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 06:06
Does not assumption mean finding the unstated premise?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4774 [0], given: 163

Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in geologically quiet [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 03:45
Expert's post
peterparker123 wrote:
Does not assumption mean finding the unstated premise?

Yes, an assumption is an unstated missing premise. Look at the explanation given above.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Nuclear reactors are sometimes built in geologically quiet   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2014, 03:45