Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

number of mistakes vs score.. any help???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 17:50
hello

can anyone tell me howmany mistakes can be made to get 51 in quant

i mean is it like all the questions should be correct??

i know that the algorithm is completelydifferent but from your experience in mocks , people who have grown up from low scores to 51 must be knowing this approximation

please let me know because i hope that would help me comparew different mocks i have been giving

thanks in advance

just one more month for exam...

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I got a 51 in 5MGMAT Tests and number of wrong questions were
9,7,5,2,2 respectively.

In the actual exam also i got a 51 and i guess I would have done max 3 wrong.
As the questions are weighted so Am not sure that you can say with guarantee that if you get from 3-9 wrong questions then you will get a 50/51 as It depends on the difficulty level of a question which you are getting wrong.

If you get a 700-800 level question wrong then I guess it does not hurt your score much. But if you are getting a 500-600 level question wrong then obviously it will hurt your score.

Also, it depends on the first 10 and last 10 questions too as they have more weightage as far as I have heard. Also, if you get consecutive wrong then also you are penalized for that. So, I doubt if you can say with guarantee that there is any range for the number of wrong questions for a particular score.

Good Luck for your prep!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Manager
Manager

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 20:21
nktdotgupta wrote:
Hi,

I got a 51 in 5MGMAT Tests and number of wrong questions were
9,7,5,2,2 respectively.

In the actual exam also i got a 51 and i guess I would have done max 3 wrong.
As the questions are weighted so Am not sure that you can say with guarantee that if you get from 3-9 wrong questions then you will get a 50/51 as It depends on the difficulty level of a question which you are getting wrong.

If you get a 700-800 level question wrong then I guess it does not hurt your score much. But if you are getting a 500-600 level question wrong then obviously it will hurt your score.

Also, it depends on the first 10 and last 10 questions too as they have more weightage as far as I have heard. Also, if you get consecutive wrong then also you are penalized for that. So, I doubt if you can say with guarantee that there is any range for the number of wrong questions for a particular score.

Good Luck for your prep!

thanks sir can you give similar information regarding verbal section

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 20:23
Manager
Manager

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 20:30
nktdotgupta wrote:
welcome, i never got more than 40 in verbal so am not the right person to answer that question.

40 is great score for me sir

how many correct answers got you that score sir..

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 243

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 02:14
No one can give precise answers to questions about "how many mistakes can I make..." for quite a few reasons. For one, your experimental questions simply don't count, so in theory you could get them all wrong and still get an 800. But there is also a lot of variation from test to test, just because everyone sees a different set of questions no matter how they perform. So on GMATPrep tests the number of mistakes you can afford to make and get a Q50 or Q51 will depend in part on how many crazy-hard questions happen to appear during your test. You'll have much more leeway to make mistakes on those questions than on just the regular-hard questions. You also will be hurt more by mistakes on easier questions, so your score depends specifically on which questions you get wrong.

On GMATPrep you can at least sometimes get a Q51 with a couple of mistakes, and you can get a Q50 with quite a lot of mistakes provided those are only on the hardest questions. In Verbal, even one mistake will normally lower your score to V50 or V49, and two mistakes to V48 or V47. No one can tell you if that will be true on your real test however, since it depends on the difficulty level of the questions you happen to see.

I'd add that you should never draw any conclusions about the GMAT scoring algorithm from prep company tests, since no prep company uses the real scoring algorithm.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 10:43
IanStewart wrote:
No one can give precise answers to questions about "how many mistakes can I make..." for quite a few reasons. For one, your experimental questions simply don't count, so in theory you could get them all wrong and still get an 800. But there is also a lot of variation from test to test, just because everyone sees a different set of questions no matter how they perform. So on GMATPrep tests the number of mistakes you can afford to make and get a Q50 or Q51 will depend in part on how many crazy-hard questions happen to appear during your test. You'll have much more leeway to make mistakes on those questions than on just the regular-hard questions. You also will be hurt more by mistakes on easier questions, so your score depends specifically on which questions you get wrong.

On GMATPrep you can at least sometimes get a Q51 with a couple of mistakes, and you can get a Q50 with quite a lot of mistakes provided those are only on the hardest questions. In Verbal, even one mistake will normally lower your score to V50 or V49, and two mistakes to V48 or V47. No one can tell you if that will be true on your real test however, since it depends on the difficulty level of the questions you happen to see.

I'd add that you should never draw any conclusions about the GMAT scoring algorithm from prep company tests, since no prep company uses the real scoring algorithm.

i gave my gmat prep mock today..
got a score of 610 q45 v28
do i have any chances of getting that
700+ score

thanks in advance

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 16:20
I actually have a similar question: to those people scoring 49+ on math, approx how many 700-800 level questions are you getting, and how many of them are you getting right on GMAT Prep and MGMAT? I know the algorithm has variability and depends of different factors, but I'm curious.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 5

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 13:20
mohan514 wrote:
700+ score

thanks in advance

Definitely you've chance to score 700+. Believe in yourself and practice hard. We're on the same boat friend.

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Manager
Manager

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help??? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 05:09
premnath wrote:
mohan514 wrote:
700+ score

thanks in advance

Definitely you've chance to score 700+. Believe in yourself and practice hard. We're on the same boat friend.

thanks prem..
scheduled my exam on oct 9th

looking forward to reschedule it to late oct.. atleast 15 days of extra efforts to ensure that 700

when are you giving your exam??

Re: number of mistakes vs score.. any help???   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2012, 05:09