Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 17:59
Hi guys,

I'm currently applying to a few PhD programs for next year, but I thought it'd be good to also apply to a MAcc program or two in case things go sour.

Since my goal would be to use the MAcc as a tool to strengthen my background for a PhD program, I was hoping to go somewhere where I would be eligible for an RA (preferable) or TA assistantship position. Large fellowships (half tuition+) are always good too, as I'd like to make it as cheap as possible.

That said, I'm sure this varies by school, but does anyone know what sort of numbers put you at good chances for an assistantship and/or fellowship at a top-10 ranked program (or really, any school that would be well recognized and looked upon positively by a good PhD program)?

My numbers now are:
4.0GPA, small state school (rigorous accounting program, but doubt other schools would know)
720GMAT (Q48V41)
Few good academic softs

^^ should that give me a shot at assistantships and/or significant waivers in tuition at any of the top 10 MAcc programs, or is my GMAT too low?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:39
A bit off-topic since I don't know your profile, but the best selling point to a PhD program is not a MAcc, in the sense that an accounting background is neither necessary nor always helpful for success in a PhD program. That said, if you really want to spruce up your profile as a future PhD applicant, you should try to get a couple of graduate courses relevant to a PhD in accounting while you pursue a MAcc -- econometrics, microeconomics, real analysis/topology, advanced calculus courses, and so on.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 14:28
cabro57 wrote:
A bit off-topic since I don't know your profile, but the best selling point to a PhD program is not a MAcc, in the sense that an accounting background is neither necessary nor always helpful for success in a PhD program. That said, if you really want to spruce up your profile as a future PhD applicant, you should try to get a couple of graduate courses relevant to a PhD in accounting while you pursue a MAcc -- econometrics, microeconomics, real analysis/topology, advanced calculus courses, and so on.

I'm interested in behavioral research and when I look at top schools related to my interest (Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Emory, etc etc.) most of the students have MAccs, MBAs, or strictly BS. I do fully intend to utilize all possible electives in the MAcc by taking math related courses regardless however. BUT, I certainly don't want to be doing research where I'm using real analysis and topology anyway -- fortunately most programs I've seen with significant behavioral faculty offer tracks with mostly stats courses instead of the PhD Microecon.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 08:21
dusklife wrote:
I'm interested in behavioral research and when I look at top schools related to my interest (Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Emory, etc etc.) most of the students have MAccs, MBAs, or strictly BS. I do fully intend to utilize all possible electives in the MAcc by taking math related courses regardless however. BUT, I certainly don't want to be doing research where I'm using real analysis and topology anyway -- fortunately most programs I've seen with significant behavioral faculty offer tracks with mostly stats courses instead of the PhD Microecon.

I didn't know about your behavioral interest. In any case, I don't think many people are doing research that uses real analysis and topology -- I sure don't. But the point is that signaling models are widely taught in Economics departments and b-schools and as such, many (admissions) people have come to believe in them: If you can get through the topology crap, you can probably get through anything that's more closely accounting-oriented at the PhD level. The other stuff on my list (econometrics, microecon, advanced calculus) will help you for sure in basically any PhD program.

That said, you also need to be careful when you look at current PhD students profiles. At Indiana, most of those with MACCs come from a professional background, where they spent 2-5 years at an accounting firm or a regulatory agency between their MACC and PhD. Those without such work experience, whether coming straight from a BS or a MACC, either are clearly standout applicants (such as the Nat'l Merit Scholarship guy) or went through some kind of pre-PhD preparation.

As an example for pre-PhD preparation, see the last guy on the list of current students (Zimbelman), who went through the MACC pre-PhD track at BYU. Some info on that track is found at http://marriottschool.byu.edu/soa/newsletter/PDFs/SOAIS_NewsLetterW05.pdf. Those pre-PhD courses at BYU are clearly what I was talking about. Frankly (disclaimer: opinion here), if you look at the leading faculty in the behavioral field, I don't think you'll find many who lack any kind of formal training in microeconomics, because microecon is the open door that leads to game theory, and behavioral research is basically all about finding holes in the game theory stuff.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:50
Update to get back on topic, anybody so far this year get half to full ride anywhere for a masters program?
Re: Numbers required for assistantships/fellowships?   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2009, 12:50