Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 09:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:22) correct 64% (01:26) wrong based on 44 sessions
Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the Yucatan peninsula in recent decades. The ruins lack any evidence of destruction by invading forces, internal revolts, or disease and appear simply to have been abandoned. Some archaeologists have theorized that the cities were abandoned due to a severe drought known to have occurred in the region between 800 and 1000 AD

Which of the following if true most strongly supports the archaeologists' theory?

A. Ample archaeological evidence of Mayan Peasant revolts and city-state warfare exists, but such events could never result in the permanent abandonment of cities.

B. No monumental inscriptions created after 900 AD have been found in these cities, but inscriptions dating before that time have been found in abundance.

C. studies of Yucatan Lake sediment cores provide conclusive evidence that a prolonged drought occurred in the region from 800 to 1000 AD

D. climatic studies have documented cycles of intermittent drought in the Yucatan peninsula dating from the present to at least 7000 years ago.

E. The Mayan City, Uxmal, was continuously inhabited from 500-1500 AD

[Reveal] Spoiler: Confused
I'm confused by the OA ! I thought it should have been C
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Numerous ancient mayan cities [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 09:19
Archeologist's theory consists of two parts:
- the reason for abandonment
- the period of abandonment

option B provides evidence for only the 2nd part of theory
C should be the answer
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: Numerous ancient mayan cities [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 17:10
I pick option B.

B vs C.

The question premise clearly says that the drought is known to have occurred between 800 to 1000 AD. C simply reinstates the same fact. What we are looking for is the confirmation that the settlement was abandoned during said period. B is perfect. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 110

Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 01:11
B is the answer. C provides evidence of the occurrence of a drought between 800 and 1000 AD. But it cannot be inferred from C that the drought CAUSED the abandonment of the city.
B provides evidence that no monumental inscriptions were found after 900 AD. This increases the likelihood that there was a drought around 900 AD, thus supporting the conclusion. The strengthener just needs to increase the likelihood of the conclusion. That is exactly what B does in this case - increase the likelihood of the conclusion that the supposed drought caused the abandonment of the city.

Hope this helps.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 16:08
I too initially chose C,Here is my reasoning

From B..The Drought may have occurred before 800 AD, which weakens the conclusion....

From C, Though it may not be the best answer,but among options it looks the best........because we are sure that a drought occurred between 800 AD to 1000 AD, which supports the conclusion

Plz correct me if i am wrong...

Thanks in advance

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 98

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 05:58
I choose C..Although I am incorrect..But I would like to point out that: In a real GMAT question are there 2 or more strengtheners such that one strengthens more than the other..As per what I have read..such is not the case..It is always 1 strengthener..and other neutrals,weakeners or irrelevants

Experts please vouch for the above

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 471

Kudos [?]: 1855 [0], given: 29

Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 07:58
Expert's post
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the Yucatan peninsula in recent decades. The ruins lack any evidence of destruction by invading forces, internal revolts, or disease and appear simply to have been abandoned. Some archaeologists have theorized that the cities were abandoned due to a severe drought known to have occurred in the region between 800 and 1000 AD

Which of the following if true most strongly supports the archaeologists' theory?

A. Ample archaeological evidence of Mayan Peasant revolts and city-state warfare exists, but such events could never result in the permanent abandonment of cities.
B. No monumental inscriptions created after 900 AD have been found in these cities, but inscriptions dating before that time have been found in abundance.
C. studies of Yucatan Lake sediment cores provide conclusive evidence that a prolonged drought occurred in the region from 800 to 1000 AD
D. climatic studies have documented cycles of intermittent drought in the Yucatan peninsula dating from the present to at least 7000 years ago.
E. The Mayan City, Uxmal, was continuously inhabited from 500-1500 AD

JusTLucK04 wrote:
I choose C..Although I am incorrect..But I would like to point out that: In a real GMAT question are there 2 or more strengtheners such that one strengthens more than the other..As per what I have read..such is not the case..It is always 1 strengthener..and other neutrals,weakeners or irrelevants

Experts please vouch for the above

Dear JusTLucK04 & georgepaul0071987
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, JusTLucK04, it is NOT true that GMAT CR strengthener questions often have two strengtheners, one better than the other. That is a relatively rare pattern. I would say they often have one or two weakeners, just as a weakener questions will have one or two strengtheners.

Veritas questions often are very good. Here, I don't like the diction mistake
... the cities were abandoned due to a severe drought ...
That's a classic diction mistake that would be wrong on the GMAT SC. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... nsequence/

Now, to the argument. It is uncertain why they cities are empty --- it is possible that they were abandoned, because other things that would empty a city don't tally with the evidence. The drought is already known. According to the prompt, the occurrence of the drought is already beyond a shadow of a doubt.

(B) gives a new corroborating piece of evidence
(C) tells us something of which we are already sure

An answer that tells us something that we already know adds zilch to the argument. That's why (C) is wrong. This, of course, is what DexDee already astutely pointed out above.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Numerous Ancient Mayan cities have been discovered in the   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 07:58