Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (03:58) correct 67% (01:15) wrong based on 4 sessions
Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted from gold mined in West Africa, in the area that is now Senegal. The gold mined in this region was the purest known. Its gold content of 92 percent allowed coins to be minted without refining the gold, and indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content. The mints could refine gold and produced other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content, but the Senegalese gold was never refined.
13. Which one of the following inferences about gold coins minted in medieval Spain is most strongly supported by the information the numismatist gives?
(A) Coins minted from Senegalese gold all contained the same weight, as well as the same proportion of gold.
(B) The source of some refined gold from which coins were minted was unrefined gold with a gold content of less than 92 percent.
(C) Two coins could have the same monetary value even though they differed from each other in the percentage of gold they contained.
(D) No gold coins were minted that had a gold content of less than 92 percent.
(E) The only unrefined gold from which coins could be minted was Senegalese gold.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 14:24
I'm going to go with B.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 3

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 17:45
B it is.

Rock On

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 02:16
+1 for B
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 13:36
I feel OA is 'A'.

According to me here, conclusion is "coins minted from this source(Senegal) of gold can be recognized".'A' supports this conclusion.

"same weight, as well as the same proportion of gold."

Can someone explain why B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 16:13
(A) never talked about weight
(B) The source of some refined gold from which coins were minted was unrefined gold with a gold content of less than 92 percent.
(C) never talked about anything like this
(D) odd
(E) odd

Gold from that african country was not refined because the gold was 92% pure and there was no need to refine.

So, the answer is B.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 09:57
SudiptoGmat wrote:
(A) never talked about weight
(C) never talked about anything like this
(D) odd
(E) odd

Gold from that african country was not refined because the gold was 92% pure and there was no need to refine.

So, the answer is B.

How do you discount answer choice D ? Can it not be inferred that 92% gold was the absolute purity required to determine the worth of the coin?

choosing D here. OA pls
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 11:03
@SudiptoGmat

Im sorry, im still not clear why 'B'..Can u convert the question in simpler terms and help me understand its link with 'B'.

I donno why CRs r giving me so much trouble..i hope in actual gmat i get simpler questions in verbal,of course without reducing my marks :roll:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 17:38
IMO B

When I answer CR question I always try to eliminate extreme answers. On the same ground I eliminated D and E. A is also extreme and it is nowhere mentioned about same weight, as well as the same proportion of gold.

I case of C nothing is defined regarding monetery value.

Therefore, IMO B
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 10:48
As the natural source has at least 92 percent of gold, my answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 05:13
It has to be B. All supporting explanations above are quite good.

(A) you'll be assuming the kind of precision that is not in the scope here. we can't be sure that the weight of every coin was equal ($1 or a quarter). Similarly the proportion is not guaranteed to be 92 percent if the source was such.

(D) this is an extreme assumption. Nowhere it states that this was the standard for minting a gold coin.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 05:59
IMO B.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 40

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 03:28
IMO D.

We are asked the choice which is strenghten by the stimulus.

Abhishek.pitti wrote:
Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted from gold mined in West Africa, in the area that is now Senegal. The gold mined in this region was the purest known. Its gold content of 92 percent allowed coins to be minted without refining the gold, and indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content. The mints could refine gold and produced other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content, but the Senegalese gold was never refined.
13. Which one of the following inferences about gold coins minted in medieval Spain is most strongly supported by the information the numismatist gives?
(A) Coins minted from Senegalese gold all contained the same weight, as well as the same proportion of gold. [Same weight >>> new info is added. Incorrect]
(B) The source of some refined gold from which coins were minted was unrefined gold with a gold content of less than 92 percent. [Out of scope. Incorrect]
(C) Two coins could have the same monetary value even though they differed from each other in the percentage of gold they contained. [same monetary value >>> new info is added. Incorrect]
(D) No gold coins were minted that had a gold content of less than 92 percent. [Correct] Reasons:
1. The gold mined in this region was the purest known.
2. Its gold content of 92 percent ..., and indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content.
3. The mints could refine gold and produced other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content, but the Senegalese gold was never refined.

(E) The only unrefined gold from which coins could be minted was Senegalese gold.
[Extreme case. Incorrect]

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 338

Re: Inference question [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 05:49
my pick is B. D can be flawed
Re: Inference question   [#permalink] 01 May 2010, 05:49