Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 12:32
Hi All,

I recently gave GMAT & got a score of 660 (M 49, V 31). AWA Score was 5.5
I also have 3 years of work experience in IT firm.
I want to enroll for Full-Time MBA in Asian Universities (mainly Singapore & Hongkong).

Recently, I came across Singapore Management University MBA. The university is regionally very reputed but the MBA course is very young.
Can someone please let me know whether SMU MBA is really good as compared to NUS MBA?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 23:45
As u said, SMU program is not mature enough and can't be compared to a well established school like NUS, moreover, NUS is highly ranked in Eng & Tech so it would definitely boost your carrier -since you're from IT background- specially if you're intending to work in Sing upon graduation.

Good luck,
Yahya
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 23:12
Singapore SMU MBA is although quite young but it is making great headway in the global arena. It is already considered by many to be better than NUS and NTU. The program is similar to ISB and INSEAD (founding dean of INSEAD joined SMU as president which could suggest similarities between the two programs) in that it is a 1 year MBA (part-time is 18 months) with lots of focus on soft skills, case studies and extensive industry interaction. The average batch experience is also quite high (> 6 yrs) which is again similar to ISB and INSEAD.

SMU recently launched an EMBA program in collaboration with Wharton & ISB and early signs suggest that SMU MBA will break into FT global top 25 rankings next year and is surely going to become Singapore's top MBA program.
HKUST Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 06:24
warrak2000 wrote:
As u said, SMU program is not mature enough and can't be compared to a well established school like NUS, moreover, NUS is highly ranked in Eng & Tech so it would definitely boost your carrier -since you're from IT background- specially if you're intending to work in Sing upon graduation.

Good luck,
Yahya

hey Yahya,
do you know of any alums from NUS?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 03:23
vgr wrote:
warrak2000 wrote:

Good luck,
Yahya

hey Yahya,

not really! however I checked in NUS website and found this in Alums page:
http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/TheNUSMBA/ProspectiveStudents/TheNUSMBA/ProgrammeInformation/TestimonialsfromAlumni/tabid/2520/default.aspx

Good luck,
Yahya
HKUST Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 02:46
warrak2000 wrote:
vgr wrote:
warrak2000 wrote:

Good luck,
Yahya

hey Yahya,

not really! however I checked in NUS website and found this in Alums page:
http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/TheNUSMBA/ProspectiveStudents/TheNUSMBA/ProgrammeInformation/TestimonialsfromAlumni/tabid/2520/default.aspx

Good luck,
Yahya

Hi,
Thanks a lot man. I met a whole bunch of alums when they came to bangalore for the NUS connect program. All I'm hoping for now is to get in :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
rockmba1 wrote:
Singapore SMU MBA is although quite young but it is making great headway in the global arena. It is already considered by many to be better than NUS and NTU. The program is similar to ISB and INSEAD (founding dean of INSEAD joined SMU as president which could suggest similarities between the two programs) in that it is a 1 year MBA (part-time is 18 months) with lots of focus on soft skills, case studies and extensive industry interaction. The average batch experience is also quite high (> 6 yrs) which is again similar to ISB and INSEAD.

SMU recently launched an EMBA program in collaboration with Wharton & ISB and early signs suggest that SMU MBA will break into FT global top 25 rankings next year and is surely going to become Singapore's top MBA program.

Rockmba1,
My research on SMU made a similar impression in my mind about the school and as a result, I am going to be a part of the program starting July 2012. I still have time to change my mind but I think I am going to accept the offer. I did not even apply to NUS for the sheer reason that it is located way too far from my house and office with poor connectivity to public transport. I will be pursuing a part-time program, by the way. The reputation of NUS MBA is indisputable though. Even Nanyang (NTU) for that matter.

I would soon be attending the NTU interview but I don't think any outcome is going to change my mind. I will be sticking to SMU. I chose the program because it is short in duration (18 months part-time). SMU has a high class faculty and my experience in a sample class that I attended was awesome. The seminar style teaching was impressive. In addition to these, SMU's industry ties are commendable. SMU will be ranked by FT this year (most probably) and from what I have learnt from various sources is that average salaries of SMU alumni have been above their NTU and NUS counterparts. So I agree with rockmba1 that SMU will feature high in the rankings. SMU is also the youngest university to have earned both AACSB and EQUIS (5 yrs, usual is 3 yrs) accreditation, though some argue that even money can buy these.

All in all, I am happy with my choice and have also pocketed a scholarship from the school because of my GMAT score :)
I will be happy to connect to those who would be joining the part-time program in July 2012 or full-time program in Jan 2013.

Good luck mates!

p!yu$h
from-620-to-710-my-gmat-story-test-date-30-oct-122547.html#p995276

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.85

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Piyush,
Could you please share your contact details so that we can connect.
I am applying to SMU FT MBA program and would like to hear more from you.

Regards
Ajay.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 23:45
This post received
KUDOS
Yipeee...selected! :banana :clap: :gl
Will be happy to share information with those interested. Thanks :gl
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 00:20
Congrats AJKA123!!

Can you guys plz share you profiles??

Thanks in advance!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:19
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 23:41
NUS B-school is ranked as one of the best in Asia. While the placement may not be as good as say they have been for ISB in India, they're solid and Singaporean universities tend to make sure you end up OK somewhere.
Re: NUS & SMU, Singapore B Schools   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2012, 23:41