Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Re: Nutritionists agree that elevated cholesterol levels contribute to [#permalink]
Ok, but all these points support the idea that B would actually work (The parallelism point doesn't make sense as it follows the same format as the OA).

Them is the object "cholesterol levels" and cannot be any other object due to plurality. So why is B incorrect?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Nutritionists agree that elevated cholesterol levels contribute to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
r0ckst4r wrote:
Ok, but all these points support the idea that B would actually work (The parallelism point doesn't make sense as it follows the same format as the OA).

Them is the object "cholesterol levels" and cannot be any other object due to plurality. So why is B incorrect?

Option B has a severe pronoun error. In a sentence all they /their/ them must refer to the same antecedent. In option B, "they" and "them" have different antecedents.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
r0ckst4r wrote:

Option B has a severe pronoun error. In a sentence all they /their/ them must refer to the same antecedent. In option B, "they" and "them" have different antecedents.

So you're saying if i use they in the same sentence as them they both have to refer to the same antecedent? This is really confusing, because "they" is usually the subject and "them" is usually the object of the clause. How can the subject and object logically be referred to the same instance? Could you provide examples? Because this is the first time I've heard this rule.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
r0ckst4r wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
r0ckst4r wrote:

So you're saying if i use they in the same sentence as them they both have to refer to the same antecedent? This is really confusing, because "they" is usually the subject and "them" is usually the object of the clause. How can the subject and object logically be referred to the same instance? Could you provide examples? Because this is the first time I've heard this rule.

Yes, absolutely - you have understood right - this is a strictly followed rule in GMAT. Any good GMAT guide ( e.g. Manhattan SC guide) highlights this rule. If you have completed an SC guide and have not come across this rule, then I would say that you will have to read a guide again, this time a good one.

The subject and object may NOT be in the same clause, i.e. for the same verb. (If they are for the same clause "themselves" instead of "them" must be used.) Following is an example from Manhattan SC guide:

Researchers claim to have developed new "nano-papers" incorporating tiny cellulose fibers, which THEY allege give THEM the strength of cast iron.

What nouns do they and them refer to? You might assume that they refers to researchers (who claim something) and that them refers to new “nano-papers? However, this confusing switch of reference is not permitted by the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That makes sense thank you Sayan!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Kudos
Official Explanation:

This sentence is correct as written.

The underlined portion of the sentence contains the third-person pronoun they, so check whether the pronoun agrees in number with its referent. The plural they clearly refers to nutritionists. There appear to be no errors in the original sentence, so keep choice A. Because there are no errors in the original sentence, there are no obvious repeaters to look for. Evaluate the remaining choices individually, looking for reasons to eliminate each answer.

Choice B introduces a pronoun error by replacing the phrase these elevated levels with the pronoun them. These elevated levels clearly refers to cholesterol levels, but there are two plural nouns in the sentence to which the pronoun them might refer. Since the referent of the pronoun them is ambiguous, eliminate choice B. Choice C repeats the pronoun error introduced in choice B, replacing these elevated levels with the pronoun them. In addition, choice C introduces an idiom error by replacing not with neither. The word neither forms the first part of a correlative conjunction, neither…nor. Choice C pairs neither with or, which is not idiomatic. Eliminate choice C. Choice D creates a new error by employing the pronoun their, the referent of which is ambiguous. In addition, choice D creates a parallel construction error by introducing a list the elements of which represent different parts of speech. The first item, determined, is a verb, but the second item, how, is an adverb. Eliminate choice D. Choice E creates a subject-verb agreement error by introducing the clause levels is. In addition, the referent of the pronoun their is ambiguous. Eliminate choice E.

Choice A: Correct.

Choice B: No. The referent of the pronoun them is ambiguous. Pronoun ambiguity.

Choice C: No. The referent of the pronoun them is ambiguous, and the correct idiom is neither…nor. Pronoun ambiguity; Idiom.

Choice D: No. The referent of the pronoun their is ambiguous, and the items in the list, determined… and how…, do not represent the same part of speech. Pronoun ambiguity; Parallel construction.

Choice E: No. The singular verb is does not agree in number with the plural subject levels, and the referent of the pronoun their is ambiguous. Subject-Verb agreement; Pronoun ambiguity.

The correct answer is choice A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts