Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 46

NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 12:05
I'm a woman and I'll be applying even after reading this article. But this makes it even more important to visit since this issue isn't something I haven't explicitly heard before. Gotta witness the school's culture in action.

I wonder if it'll impact how applicants perceive HBS?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/education/harvard-case-study-gender-equity.html?hp
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 41

Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Very good article. As a minority male it gave me insight into the elitism present at HBS and is making me reconsider if I'd fit in there.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 90

Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
Wow, thanks for the read. Really confirms the elitism there. And it's interesting how opposite the attitudes at HBS are compared to Stanford.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 22

Premium Member
Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Not very surprising, especially considering that women received a different diploma from men (in the undergraduate program) up until 1999.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 113 [2] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
I wouldn't form any opinions based on this article or the follow-up released yesterday.

Maybe I was just lucky with my section experience and with the people I chose to hang out with, but I never experienced a whiff of elitist behavior from my classmates--and that's with me coming from a decidedly middle-class upbringing in the southern US and blue-collar work experience. I almost didn't apply to HBS in the first place based on the stereotypes I'd heard about Ivy League MBAs, but during my time there I found that the stereotypes weren't rooted in much reality.

Yeah, it was obvious that some people had more money than others just based on how some chose to spend their long weekends and breaks--but I knew plenty of non-wealthy people who financed their extravagant lifestyles with private loans based on the rationalization that they'd be able to pay them off with the salaries they'd earn over the next 5 years. I also knew plenty of people who came from money (or who earned a lot in their pre-HBS lives) but were down to earth homebodies. And until I read this article, I'd never heard of "Section X."

It's especially odd that they released this article in the wake of all the statistics that show HBS is admitting far fewer applicants from the traditional "rich people" backgrounds of IB, PE, and hedge funds, and far more from manufacturing, social enterprise, and non-profits. More grads are going into tech, startups, or non-profit work these days compared to the past decade, and those numbers are coming at the expense of grads going into banking and consulting and PE.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 47

Premium Member
Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
EBM wrote:
I wouldn't form any opinions based on this article or the follow-up released yesterday.

Maybe I was just lucky with my section experience and with the people I chose to hang out with, but I never experienced a whiff of elitist behavior from my classmates--and that's with me coming from a decidedly middle-class upbringing in the southern US and blue-collar work experience. I almost didn't apply to HBS in the first place based on the stereotypes I'd heard about Ivy League MBAs, but during my time there I found that the stereotypes weren't rooted in much reality.

Yeah, it was obvious that some people had more money than others just based on how some chose to spend their long weekends and breaks--but I knew plenty of non-wealthy people who financed their extravagant lifestyles with private loans based on the rationalization that they'd be able to pay them off with the salaries they'd earn over the next 5 years. I also knew plenty of people who came from money (or who earned a lot in their pre-HBS lives) but were down to earth homebodies. And until I read this article, I'd never heard of "Section X."

It's especially odd that they released this article in the wake of all the statistics that show HBS is admitting far fewer applicants from the traditional "rich people" backgrounds of IB, PE, and hedge funds, and far more from manufacturing, social enterprise, and non-profits. More grads are going into tech, startups, or non-profit work these days compared to the past decade, and those numbers are coming at the expense of grads going into banking and consulting and PE.

I have to agree here. When I was applying I visited different schools and I was overwhelmed by the level of pretentiousness at other schools while, conversely, I was honestly refreshed by how welcoming the HBS crowd was. I expected the experience to be the exact opposite. Since being accepted and starting classes, I have been continuously thrilled with my classmates.

To be clear, I graduated from a state school with an engineering degree and was raised in a middle-class family in an extremely rural southern town. Personally, I tend to be sensitive to elitism and inequality, but I can honestly say those articles infuriated me due to their inaccuracy. One of my female professors also spoke to the class specifically about the gender article last week. She expressed how offended she was about the article, and how poorly it represented the views of her and her coworkers.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and every will have different experiences. I would just ask that you don't draw to deep a conclusion based on this article alone, because it really was quite lacking in factual depth.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Other (Education)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 08:42
Hi,
I am thinking of applying but I was thrown off by this article as well as this other article on how divisive the class -http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/education/harvard-business-students-see-class-as-divisive-an-issue-as-gender.html?pagewanted=1

Does being into an HBS class require you to spend so much on weekend parties or clubs? Considering that I will have to finance my MBA through a loan, these extravagances are completely out of question.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 21:19
"Does being into an HBS class require you to spend so much on weekend parties or clubs?"

In a word, no. See my previous posts in this thread.

No one gets forced to attend any events. Most people choose to pay for some trips though, because it would be a pretty boring two years if you did nothing but stay in Boston on weekends and breaks.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 17:04
Do many people take trips *every* weekend, or just for long weekends and holidays? In my undergrad I was fairly busy on campus on the weekends, due to involvement with student organizations and homework/studying/projects. Even if I had unlimited money, I can't imagine that I would have had time to take a weekend-long trip more than once a month or so.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 12:03
I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend. Just like almost anything else in life, there's a bell curve.

In this case, that means a few people travel almost every weekend, a few people almost never go anywhere, and ~90% of the class will leave the Boston area 1-2 times per month.

Some of those trips will be vacations, some will be section events, some will be related to job-hunting, and some will be through clubs. This "lucrative" ski trip they keep referencing was billed as the official class ski trip, but all that meant was that the student leadership was able to negotiate discounted rates through the hotels and ski resorts. It fell on a long weekend, so a decent chunk of the class went. But there's no expectation or requirement that you go anywhere at any time. Some people have the money to travel a lot--not to mention the intelligence levels necessary to do well academically without working too hard--and some don't. That's pretty much all there is to it.

None of this stuff is unique to HBS--for instance, I knew people at Haas and Stanford who basically lived at Lake Tahoe during ski season. Students at other east coast schools go to Europe occasionally on long weekends or for events like Oktoberfest.

And again, a huge majority of the HBS class does not go on extravagant vacations on a regular basis, but their lives don't make for interesting NYT hit pieces about the opulent, over the top lifestyles of HBS students.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 09:14
I read this article and I was actually encouraged by it.

I have no doubt elitist attitudes prevail at most if not all Business Schools, based on their intake. Living in London and friends with many high flying finances types, I may not have direct experience of schools yet but I do have experience with their core intake.... (Sorry all you finance guys, I know you're not all like that - it only takes a few!)

But in the Times article, HBS' faculity comes across as pretty pro-active and struggling to change the culture of the place - a challenge in any organisation no matter who you are. I was impressed they're willing to try so hard, and it must have been a difficult article to read for them. HBS is a great target for a cynical media - elements are bound to be blown out of proportion.

My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/

Re: NYT Article on HBS: HBS Case Study - Gender Inequity   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2013, 09:14