Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Thanks kidderek for the advice and support....

I am sure I will have many more questions for this forum as I progress along in my application/essays....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

Great advice on this board. Thanks for sharing. I noticed only some put what actual college they went to. Doesn't that make a large difference? A GPA from one place doesnt seem to equate to another. Just wanted to see if I was off here...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
vinviper1 wrote:
Hi all,

Great advice on this board. Thanks for sharing. I noticed only some put what actual college they went to. Doesn't that make a large difference? A GPA from one place doesn't seem to equate to another. Just wanted to see if I was off here...

I'm sure people don't put their undergrad b/c they don't want to release personal info, or they went to a crappy undergrad like mine.

I'm not a 100% certain, but from what I can see from the FT apps, I think it makes a difference if you attended the ivys/tycoon Universities -- one of those real brand names. Also, a top lib college would be helpful too. Beyond that, it probably doesn't make a difference.

The fact that you attended SUNY Binghamton as opposed to SUNY Buffalo (Bing clearly being the better school) won't make a difference in adcoms' views since the difference is too minute and they're both not top schools in the country.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
vinviper1 wrote:
Hi all,

Great advice on this board. Thanks for sharing. I noticed only some put what actual college they went to. Doesn't that make a large difference? A GPA from one place doesn't seem to equate to another. Just wanted to see if I was off here...

Once you're admitted to the PT program and your enrollment deposit is processed, you will gain access to an online database with various details about your fellow PT students, including their undergraduate alma maters. The selectivity and prestige of the undergraduate institutions attended by the spring '08 admits runs the gamut from Ivy League to state schools. In my unscientific findings, the vast majority did not graduate from top schools at the undergrad level - you needn't worry about that detail in your application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I was going through my application for langone and I think the weakest part of my application is my extracurriculars. I have some intramural sports, a social club and a few professional societies on this list. I consider my section of extracurriculars very average. I don't really have any volunteer work. Does anyone know how adversly this may affect my application. Thanks for your input.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
asharc wrote:
I was going through my application for langone and I think the weakest part of my application is my extracurriculars. I have some intramural sports, a social club and a few professional societies on this list. I consider my section of extracurriculars very average. I don't really have any volunteer work. Does anyone know how adversely this may affect my application. Thanks for your input.

Damn, you're already way ahead of me in that department. haha. I think volunteer work is overrated. Serving soup to the homeless weekly is not quite what they're looking for (though it doesn't hurt). They want to see significant stuff, and most people don't have it. Again, coming for the business app forum, adcoms just want to see that you're not a robot who just goes to work and does nothing else.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks kidderek for the reply. All those activities are spread out over college to current....I'm just happy it wasn't blank.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Recommendation from Current Supervisor

I don't think I can provide one because I joined my current company 4.5 months ago and really don't think they can write a meaningful essay for me. At the same time, I don't want to ruffle too many feathers being a new employee with these demands.

Would it be ok to not provide a recommendation from my current supervisor? I have two strong reccos from my previous employer and can also include a third one to substantiate it. I also plan on explaining in the optional essay why I cannot provide a recommendation from my current supervisor.

Does this sound reasonable? Any thoughts? Would the ad-com look at this negatively?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:

I don't think I can provide one because I joined my current company 4.5 months ago and really don't think they can write a meaningful essay for me. At the same time, I don't want to ruffle too many feathers being a new employee with these demands.

Would it be ok to not provide a recommendation from my current supervisor? I have two strong reccos from my previous employer and can also include a third one to substantiate it. I also plan on explaining in the optional essay why I cannot provide a recommendation from my current supervisor.

Does this sound reasonable? Any thoughts? Would the ad-com look at this negatively?

I'm not sure if it's viewed negatively as a PTer, but it's def NOT as a FTer. Also, they explicitly state that if your current supervisor is not providing a recommendation, you must explain why in the optional essay.

"If you are unable to submit a recommendation from your current supervisor, you must explain your reason in this essay."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
I'm not sure if it's viewed negatively as a PTer, but it's def NOT as a FTer.

That's my concern...being viewed negatively since I am applying for a PT MBA. So much to think through and I haven't even started the essays. :roll:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:

I think that is a perfectly valid reason and it should not negatively affect your application. 4.5 months is not enough time to produce a meaningful recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:

I think that it would count against you in your situation if you do not have your current supervisor write a letter of recommendation. In the least, if your supervisor submits a recommendation, adcom will know that your supervisor supports your decision to earn your MBA part-time. If you really are capable of putting your MBA to good use, your supervisor should recognize that and support your decision to earn your MBA. If you don't have a recommendation from your current supervisor, adcom will have a bunch of questions like "Why did this person take this job if his/her supervisor doesn't support him/her?". You are in a good position since you already have two meaningful recommendations, a third from you current supervisor won't hurt.

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is have the "I want to earn my MBA" conversation with your supervisor. If you want to earn your MBA and your supervisor doesn't know, how do you expect to move up into the position that you want to be in? If your current supervisor doesn't support your decision then it would be better to find a new job soon. And you shouldn't worry about being a bother to anyone. You should have a professional relationship with your supervisor and your supervisor will most likely write a favorable recommendation for you since having your MBA will be beneficial to the company.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks so much. That is a relief. I definitely hope the other two write good reccos. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
axion1565 wrote:
I think that it would count against you in your situation if you do not have your current supervisor write a letter of recommendation. In the least, if your supervisor submits a recommendation, adcom will know that your supervisor supports your decision to earn your MBA part-time.

If you really are capable of putting your MBA to good use, your supervisor should recognize that and support your decision to earn your MBA. If you don't have a recommendation from your current supervisor, adcom will have a bunch of questions like "Why did this person take this job if his/her supervisor doesn't support him/her?". You are in a good position since you already have two meaningful recommendations, a third from you current supervisor won't hurt.

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is have the "I want to earn my MBA" conversation with your supervisor. If you want to earn your MBA and your supervisor doesn't know, how do you expect to move up into the position that you want to be in? If your current supervisor doesn't support your decision then it would be better to find a new job soon. And you shouldn't worry about being a bother to anyone. You should have a professional relationship with your supervisor and your supervisor will most likely write a favorable recommendation for you since having your MBA will be beneficial to the company.

You bring up good points..and yes, I definitely need to have the conversation about "I want to earn my MBA", something I mentioned during the interview process but have not followed up since. I was hoping to get the admit and then bring it up.

While an MBA will benefit the company, the goal is finally to benefit me I don't think his reco will demonstrate that this will be helpful to the company. I need to give this some thought as you definitely bring up good questions that the adcom might have. No feeling very relieved again... :roll:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great thread here. Was thinking of applying for PT Fall 08

GMAT: 700
GPA: 3.4
Exp: 5 years, finance

Is it possible to apply to both PT and FT at once at NYU? Would prefer to go FT but don't think it's financially viable for me.

Does the PT program have the same access to networking events/etc?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
joe678,

I don't believe you can apply to the part time and full time at the same time. On the website it says you can only apply to one option at a time.

good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Awesome thread guys.

Add me to the wannabe list for weekend program
1) GMAT : 690 Q49 V 34 (AWA 4) (5 yr old GMAT score!)
2) 8 yrs work ex (Information Technology)

Would really appreciate an answer to these questions:

1) Is the weekend program more competitive than the weeknights option? I travel and can only make the weekends
2) Does the 5 yr old GMAT invoke any negatives?
3) My undergrad transcipts from India do not have a GPA equivalent. Where does it say on the app that we do need GPA equivalents directly from the source? I could not find this info.
4) Is there an advantage to applying ASAP versus close to the deadline? I read in this thread that the rolling admissions are on hold?

Thanks and best of luck to all!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60