Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So, I think it's time to start a Langone Fall '08 thread seeing as the Spring thread has pretty much run its cycle. The following is what I have been able to scour from that thread. Of course there will be more profiles of those who were accepted.

If any of you guys, or past Langone applicants have any advice, we Fall 08 applicants are all ears. Thanks in advance.

Beagles
Male, US Citizen
~8 yrs work exp (with progression into management roles)
720 GMAT (48Q/41V/6.0 AWA)
3.5 Undergrad GPA

Baer
670 43Q 40V
3 Years work experience, Fashion
3.0 GPA

Willtryagain
650 GMAT, Indian Male, IT, 10 years of Experience.

charlie75
650 GMAT
Financial Systems Manager
10 Years Exp.

ioiio
730 (q51 v38 A4.5).
1.5 years of experience in software engg.
Masters in EE from columbia graduated in 2006.

adgreenwa
Washington Square - Weekend option program (my 1st choice).
GMAT: 680; Q 44; V 38; AWA 6
GPA: 3.1 - BS in Business, Concentration in Finance
5yrs Experience - I-Banking

tcnjlion41
GMAT: 700; Q 47; V 39; AWA 4.5
GPA: 3.59 - BS in Computer Science
4.75 yrs Experience - IT/Systems Project Manager
Preference: Washington Sq - Weeknights, Weekends

srila1234
7+workex, 720 GMAT and 3.0 GPA.

JustSayin
submitted appilcation on Sept 12
GMAT: 630 (Q: 45/78%, V: 31/61%, AWA: 6.0/95%)
UGPA: 3.2 / Engineering & Business / Average school
Some masters-level course work
WE: 1 yr tech consulting, 3 yrs Tax/Transfer Pricing analyst at a big Pharma

sixthsense
GMAT 650
IT Management
9 Years Experience
Undergrad GPA not known - Foreign Degree.

nycadventuregirl
Applied on Sept 12. Female/Indian (though native US)/GMAT 670

MBA0007
GMAT - 710
UGPA - 3.2
WE - 10 years, Financial Services
Applied on September 12th. Received request for additional information on October 15th. Decision - today, November 6th.

claricely
640 GMAT, 3.5 GPA Undergrad only, 3 years of experience in IT, and lots of volunteering.

shall_win
GMAT: 690, AWA 5.0 Indian male 4.5 yrs of work exp on IT - work exp comprises of a full time position with a major investment bank in NY

sureshpad
GMAT - 740
GPA - 3.74
Exp- 11 Yrs in IT Consulting ...
Washington Sq Weeknight

hs_ny
Indian Male
GMAT: 690 (Q:47 V:38)
10 Years of work experience in IT
M.S GPA 3.32
I had submitted my app on 09/15.

MSG33
gmat: 690
gpa: 2.9 (sh1tty i know)
WE: 4.5 (last 2.5 with an Investment Bank)

Hatethewait
gmat 580
gpa 3.4
4 years in banking
excellent recs and career progression but terrible gmat.

sujayb dinged
Male, 36
12 yrs IT
Undergrad : 63% from Indian Univ.
GMAT: 700 (Q:51, V:36, AWA:5.5)
Recos: Pretty decent (from current supervisor and a previous supervisor)
Option: Weeknight Washington sq and Weekend Washington Sq.
Applied : Sept 13th
Notified: Oct 30th

satija
UGPA: 3.35
GMAT: 660
WEXP: 5 Years in Entertainment Industry
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:49
As for me?

730/3.63/29yo in the fall
6yrs we (all over the place)
2 reco's (former supervisors)
originally wanted FT, don't want to "live like a student" for 2 years among other reasons

good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 07:59
Just to put this out there... A Langone prof told me that NYU Langone fall admission is more competitive than spring admission. Reason being is that only the fall admission stats (GMAT, GPA etc) are used in rankings. As a result, the school accepts students of lesser caliber in the spring, because those stats won't bring down the published stats.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 18:38
Hey everyone. I've been trolling around GMAT Club for a while but never posted. I guess since I've finally started the application this weekend, now I should show myself! Here's my stats:

American Female
GMAT: 710 (47Q/41V)
UGPA: 3.9, strong extracurriculars (back then at least)
will be 3 yrs work experience in September - 1 yr Big 4 audit, currently Tax/IT at Fortune 50 company.

I'm applying for the Washington Sq weeknights program. And as for essay 3, thinking of sending a portrait of me sitting around on my laptop with an empty word document on the screen! That seems to sum me up the best right now ;)
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 06:14
axion1565 wrote:
Just to put this out there... A Langone prof told me that NYU Langone fall admission is more competitive than spring admission. Reason being is that only the fall admission stats (GMAT, GPA etc) are used in rankings. As a result, the school accepts students of lesser caliber in the spring, because those stats won't bring down the published stats.

That is interesting, if not questionable logic. I think fall admissions may be more selective merely b/c more people apply in the fall instead of the spring. I think that's just the natural thought process of applicants after 16 years of schooling that begins in the fall.

If the reasoning for the increased selectivity, as purported by the Langone prof, is fear of less than stellar published stats, then it seems to me the only difference between fall and spring would be a greater focus on readily reportable numbers (gmat/gpa/etc) for the fall applicants than the spring applicants and not increased selectivity.

Good to know though. Thanks!
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 05:45
Does one need to have a job while he/she is on Part-time

If i dont get any where, I might apply for Stern part-time

Quit my Job, try to finish the MBA asap( 2 years ) and benefit by attend all the networking events

But i wonder, if they would allow me to attend the events or would my lack of job be a issue later

Any thoughts from my friends?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 07:20
Ozmba wrote:

Quit my Job, try to finish the MBA asap( 2 years ) and benefit by attend all the networking events

But i wonder, if they would allow me to attend the events or would my lack of job be a issue later

It is an interesting option. The reps always say that you get the same MBA, whether you graduate PT or FT. However, if you're looking for a job relatively close to business school (timing-wise) and they know that you attend PT w/o working, I have to assume they frown upon that. I think it's sort of a badge of honor to attend PT and work FT.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 08:22
Quote:
Ozmba wrote:

As a newly minted Langone student (we're only into the second week of class), I can tell you that you are expected to be a full-time employee while matriculated in the program. As per an admissions rep, if you should lose your job, you are expected to conduct a full-time job search while remaining in the PT program.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 08:30
Quote:
As a newly minted Langone student (we're only into the second week of class), I can tell you that you are expected to be a full-time employee while matriculated in the program. As per an admissions rep, if you should lose your job, you are expected to conduct a full-time job search while remaining in the PT program.

Thats crap..even chicago GSB doesnt bother about the work status
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 08:39
Quote:
Quote:

Thats crap..even chicago GSB doesnt bother about the work status

Just the messenger. I personally asked the same question at orientation, and that was the response I was given.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 08:46
Quote:
Just the messenger. I personally asked the same question at orientation, and that was the response I was given.

hey buddy thanks

I mean - the schools stupid policy

One would be better off at Baruch Full time rather than Stern PT

Last edited by Ozmba on 20 Feb 2008, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 09:01
Ozmba wrote:
Quote:

hey buddy thanks

I would be better off at Baruch Full time rather than Stern PT

I'm not so sure about that. Either way, I wonder how stringently Stern enforces that policy.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 09:32
Quote:
hey buddy thanks

I would be better off at Baruch Full time rather than Stern PT

I'm not so sure about that. Either way, I wonder how stringently Stern enforces that policy.

I don't know you Ozmba, so I can't quite comment on your particular situation, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone who would recommend a Baruch MBA over an NYU MBA.
As for how/whether Stern maintains tabs on PT's job status, beats me if they can or ever do.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 10:28
Maccaphile,

Do you have any info on Langone Professional Development Program?
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 14:18
I've just started.. in my 2nd week of classes.

Ombza: Does one need to have a job while he/she is on Part-time

Nearly all part time students work full time. I have not seen anything that states it as a requirement. However, i believe, its expected that you are working at the time that you enter school. All students undergo a background check to verify employment and previous academic records before matriculation. After you're officially in, if you lose your job or quit, i dont think its a big deal.

kidderek: Question re LPDP.

LPDP is a required program if you want to have access to the on campus interview sessions. It preps the students on whats expected of them during interview and such. I believe its 7 - 8 sessions and students are only allowed to register if they are graduating within a year.

Stats 710 - 3.4 - 5 years Systems / CS / Defense exp.
Hindsight:
I considered a few options after submitting my langone app.
1. Columbia - Has a higher rank according to some. Its an IVY.
I attended an info session at columbia and their campus is beautiful. Thats about all i liked. I found the fellow applicants at the session to be pretentious. The professor that spoke was stodgy, with an attitude of " i'm a professor of C O L U M B I A, we're the best, silver spoon entitlement".
I left the info session wondering why columbia was ranked higher.. i thought about the cost of spending 2-3 three years with these people. aye.

2. NYU Stern Full-Time.
I considered this as an option because a career change is the eventual goal after B-School and a full-time mba is said to be better for this goal.
- a summed up my decision and he was right on the money. " You're not going to do full-time because you do not want pay out 90k in Tuition" <--- right on the money.

Now that i'm here, i'm convinced that i made the right choice. There is definitely a huge sense of community among stern students. they call it "Social Capital". regarding career change, there are tools available to the part time student. Also, keep in mind that you will have a thousand plus classmates that will have full time jobs and should be able to get you an interview should the need arise. in a full time program, you will have 400 plus people about to graduate, all competing for jobs.

Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 14:26
Columbia has a Part-Time program that doesn't lead to an EMBA? That's news to me.

grizybaer wrote:
Hindsight:
I considered a few options after submitting my langone app.
1. Columbia - Has a higher rank according to some. Its an IVY.
I attended an info session at columbia and their campus is beautiful. Thats about all i liked. I found the fellow applicants at the session to be pretentious. The professor that spoke was stodgy, with an attitude of " i'm a professor of C O L U M B I A, we're the best, silver spoon entitlement".
I left the info session wondering why columbia was ranked higher.. i thought about the cost of spending 2-3 three years with these people. aye.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 17:00
Columbia had an Accelerated MBA program geared toward working students. the main difference was that it did not offer internship opportunities.

Accelerated MBA Program
The Accelerated MBA Program is completed in four consecutive terms, beginning in January 2008 and concluding in May 2009.

The program is ideal for:

* Entrepreneurs
* Individuals who will be joining or returning to family businesses
* Students who are sponsored by their employers
* Students who plan to remain in their chosen field or who have built a strong network in the industry of their choice

The program is designed for those students who do not want or need an internship. The principal advantage of this 16-month program is its accelerated format, which allows members of the smaller January class to network quickly and effectively and to return to the workplace sooner.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 17:29
Grizy,

As far as I know, Columbia's Accelerated MBA isn't a part-time program, it's an accelerated full-time program. It could be of use to Oz, since there is talk of quitting the job to get the MBA, but it's not a great choice for someone who must remain working full-time...

-------

Also, to the other discussion...I've never seen or heard anywhere that NYU requires P/T students to be remain employed full-time, but despite the protests here to the contrary, there are other elite P/T programs that do require students to remain employed (or at least look for jobs if they are out of work) while doing a P/T MBA. I read an article about it a while back, but can't recall the link right now. If I find it I will post later.

My impression from the Stern orientation is that while the LPDP is an excellent program, a low percentage of the students who go through the program actually receive an offer of employment through the program. That's not to say that they don't receive job offers through networking events they attend through the LPDP, or that the skills they learn don't assist in their career aspirations, but the number of participants who receive official offers from the LPDP through LPDP employers seemed fairly low.

-------
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 17:45
Quote:
As far as I know, Columbia's Accelerated MBA isn't a part-time program, it's an accelerated full-time program. It could be of use to Oz, since there is talk of quitting the job to get the MBA, but it's not a great choice for someone who must remain working full-time...

hey i am applying for J-term this year and Stern PT was the last resort ...
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 18:20
Ozmba wrote:
hey i am applying for J-term this year and Stern PT was the last resort ...

J term as in January? R3 deadlines for FT programs are approaching Mar 1st. PT Fall 08 is may 15th
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2008, 18:20