Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 07:43
Agreed and plus these days, the full timers need the part timers for leads because getting a job isn't as easy as before!

Definitely get involved, be a core group leader, join a club or the part time leadership forum. You're paying the same amount of money regardless so why not make the most of it? It's hard to meet new people just through class alone, being involved in activities will really help to expand your network.

navy01 wrote:
Congrats to all that were accepted. I am a recent graduate. Its a great program. NYU has great professors.

Make the most out of your time there. You can go to class or you can take a big role. I recommend getting involved. It will be worth it.

Also, there seems to be a rift between the FT and PT students. Don't play those games. Make sure you have your A game for every class.
Trust me, my wife is a Full timer, I was a PTimer. Everyone is pretty cool but occasionally you will run into the guy that has it out for the PTimers. Do your best to change that person's mind. We all get the same degree. Demand excellence from all.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 11:39
Hello,

To all those accepted and/or from previous terms, can you please elaborate on the study material for the 'Quantitative Skills Test'.

Is the GMAC MBA Survival Kit - Quantitative Interactive CD required or is it possible to pass the test with the math sample questions given on the Stern-Langone site?

Can you please share your experiences and what study material you have.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 05:55
I am also interested in the above, anyone have any experience with the quantitative test?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 08:10
I think if you understand and can do the sample questions you will be fine for the test, basically if the topics are just review for you. I ordered the CD because I have never taken calculus and all of this is new for me. You have 3 chances to take it and score 80+. If I were in your shoes I would review the study questions and give the test a shot. If you don't score high enough you can get the CD and take it again.

Has anyone heard back about their kroll verification yet? I did it almost a month ago and no word from NYU, just email from Kroll saying they received it the next day.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 08:50
Accepted! Notification came last week!

Sent the enrollment and verification forms today!

Ironically, came across this a nasty blog on NYU partime describing all about not worth the money, no recruitement etc..
and some related posts. I think it is a hazy subject until I actually get into this..

Although I had a general idea on this, Now I have my fingers crossed.. Hopefully, I am not running 100k down the drain!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 09:41
How much money do you have to give them initially? Can you just take one class a semester and pay in smaller increments?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 10:04
phoenix09 wrote:
How much money do you have to give them initially? Can you just take one class a semester and pay in smaller increments?


It is $2000 as enrollment deposit. They deduct it from the Fall semester tuition- Comes close to $10,140 depending on the electables..

You need some kind of approval to take fewer than 6 credits.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Schools: NYU, Booth, McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 13:33
Has anyone applied to full time program as well? Wonder what's preferred or if there's a certain level of appropriateness to each individual and his/her career goals?

and would you say part time application process is easier?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 07:11
I believe the process is more difficult with the full time, i.e. their essay questions require longer responses. The acceptance is partly based on economy. When people are losing their jobs, the number of full time apps rises dramatically. I know that the incoming part time class this year is the biggest we've ever had. I personally feel like the program is worth the money but only if you take advantage of the networking opportunities and participate in some of the clubs and other organizations. The recruitment process is less helpful for part time students as compared to full timers however it's getting better every year. The faculty is excellent and you will learn things that you can immediately apply to work. The class is typically split into two groups, those who want to change jobs and those who want to advance in their current position. I can't speak for the first group but as for the second, I've gotten multiple promotions at work thanks to what I've learned in just one year of classes so it's definitely worth it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 07:18
reversemix..please clarify..the PT class is the biggest or the FT?

I would assume since most people are reimbursed by employers, and it seems that the trend for education benefit cut backs and firm savings is growing these days, that PT would have less students.....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Schools: NYU, Booth, McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 07:20
That's great and encouraging news. Congrats to you on your promotions. Is it appropriate to pursue a part time MBA if I were to pursue a position as a buy-side analyst in an investment firm? I am already in the industry so career change is not really desireable for me.

reversemix wrote:
I believe the process is more difficult with the full time, i.e. their essay questions require longer responses. The acceptance is partly based on economy. When people are losing their jobs, the number of full time apps rises dramatically. I know that the incoming part time class this year is the biggest we've ever had. I personally feel like the program is worth the money but only if you take advantage of the networking opportunities and participate in some of the clubs and other organizations. The recruitment process is less helpful for part time students as compared to full timers however it's getting better every year. The faculty is excellent and you will learn things that you can immediately apply to work. The class is typically split into two groups, those who want to change jobs and those who want to advance in their current position. I can't speak for the first group but as for the second, I've gotten multiple promotions at work thanks to what I've learned in just one year of classes so it's definitely worth it.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 07:43
From what I remember, the Quant test is best prepared for by the GMAC CD. It isn't particularly difficult (though I like Math) but I think it is better to work with the more complete source.

I seem to recall running through it fairly quickly more as an oversight of what was on the CD, and brushing up on the less immediately obvious.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 12:29
phoenix09 wrote:
reversemix..please clarify..the PT class is the biggest or the FT?

I would assume since most people are reimbursed by employers, and it seems that the trend for education benefit cut backs and firm savings is growing these days, that PT would have less students.....


Sorry, I realize that my statement was a bit confusing. The PT class is the biggest, not sure about the FT. I think they just accepted more PT students than usual. A lot of PT students actually are not being funded by their firms. I was surpised to learn that. Also, if you want to participate in the full time recruitment process, you can't be funded by your firm either as it presents a conflict of interest.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 12:42
Just a guess on the larger than usual class..maybe b/c they, like most schools, lost a ton of their endowment, they need to make more $$ to cover planned expenses.

I am surprised that so many students are willing to take on such an expense and added financial risk in this economic environment.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 14:12
phoenix09 wrote:
Just a guess on the larger than usual class..maybe b/c they, like most schools, lost a ton of their endowment, they need to make more $$ to cover planned expenses.

I am surprised that so many students are willing to take on such an expense and added financial risk in this economic environment.


Even if your firm does reimburse for tuition, the IRS only allows 5250 to be given tax free so depending on your tax bracket, you may still end up paying for 30-40% of the tuition through taxes. I think some people who are looking to take advantage of the full time recruiting thinks it's worth the cost.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 14:15
I think the finances classes can certainly help to expand your current knowledge.

asiankida wrote:
That's great and encouraging news. Congrats to you on your promotions. Is it appropriate to pursue a part time MBA if I were to pursue a position as a buy-side analyst in an investment firm? I am already in the industry so career change is not really desireable for me.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 14:32
reversemix wrote:
phoenix09 wrote:
Just a guess on the larger than usual class..maybe b/c they, like most schools, lost a ton of their endowment, they need to make more $$ to cover planned expenses.

I am surprised that so many students are willing to take on such an expense and added financial risk in this economic environment.


Even if your firm does reimburse for tuition, the IRS only allows 5250 to be given tax free so depending on your tax bracket, you may still end up paying for 30-40% of the tuition through taxes. I think some people who are looking to take advantage of the full time recruiting thinks it's worth the cost.



And I assume yearly cost would be around 20K (10k Spring/10K Fall)? So you are on the hook for paying taxes(6K@ .40) on around 15K of firm money? Is that accurate?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 07:56
If you are on the 5 year track then that is accurate. It's roughly 10K for every 6 credits. So with just spring and fall, you'll be doing 12 credits a year. You need 60 to graduate. You'll probably end up taking some winter and summer courses to speed things up.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 07:59
Just another reminder that there is a facebook group for your incoming class. We will be posting events that the part timers are holding over the summer. These events are open to you guys as well so free feel to participate and meet some of the current students!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=99043116845
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 08:15
reversemix wrote:
If you are on the 5 year track then that is accurate. It's roughly 10K for every 6 credits. So with just spring and fall, you'll be doing 12 credits a year. You need 60 to graduate. You'll probably end up taking some winter and summer courses to speed things up.



Are there any tax benefits to those who pay the full tab out of their own pocket? Obviously they would not have to pay the tax on the reimbursement over 5K. I guess you could apply the 20K to a tax credit of some sort ever year?
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2009   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2009, 08:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Langone Fall 2009: Waitlisted. phoenix09 8 02 Aug 2009, 15:20
15 NYU Langone Spring 2009 yubjun 189 02 Aug 2008, 06:03
43 NYU Langone Fall 2008 kidderek 1199 11 Feb 2008, 09:20
NYU Langone Fall 2007 RCReddy 471 27 Dec 2006, 17:45
NYU Stern, Langone Fall 2006 sunandan.ganguly 9 07 Jun 2006, 15:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

NYU Langone Fall 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.