Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Sigma Xi
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone - Spring 2011 [#permalink]
hi everyone,

Which of these three is most competitive to get into: wknights, wkends, westchester?
In essay #2, is it ok to list all 3 choices as preferences, so to increase your chances of getting accepted?

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello All,

Congratulations to all who are through!
I just received an email from NYU asking for a copy of my degree conferral. I have no idea whether its a good news or bad news.. did anyone here get such request ever?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ruph wrote:
hi everyone,

Which of these three is most competitive to get into: wknights, wkends, westchester?
In essay #2, is it ok to list all 3 choices as preferences, so to increase your chances of getting accepted?

thanks.

from the Fall admission thread it seems as if Weeknights are the most wanted!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm in for wash sq weeknights! :)
I didnt get a status change email but I was just (compulsively) checking the status page and saw the notice just now
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats, MJH!!! We'll have to meet up at some point! :)

I got my packet in the mail yesterday - the only info I thought might be helpful to everyone was that the student database won't be available till January, which seems different from what the Fall thread reported.

Good luck to all still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey guys, i just got in for washington square wknights! I found out about half an hour ago. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats!

i just got my packet in the mail today.

good luck to everyone still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just got the status update email now - I got in! Thank goodness, I was getting that concerned that my 610 GMAT would be too low...

Good luck to all still waiting and congrats to the others who got in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@greenandgold thats great news! congrats!
This gives me a lot of hope :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Guys,

After trying it for the 2nd time in 2.5 years, I finally got in to Stern part time program! I got a call from Stern guy on Oct 22nd, asking me to check my email, and when I did it, it said congraulations! It was definitely a surprise, as I didn't expect to be notified before Dec 1st, especially considering that I submitted my application a day after the deadline. He said that they had just started notifying admissions for the Westchester campus.

For those of you who didn't get in before, or may not get in this time, there's definitely hope for you guys. Here's some info for those of you interested.

2008:
Undergrad GPA: 2.56 (Top 25 US ranking)
Grad GPA: 3.9
GMAT: 660
Title: Project Manager at a Media company (2nd year)
Experience: 9 Years experience in various IT roles
Creative essay: Mock interview question and answers
Program: Washington Weekends only. Wash weeknights and Westchester were not options.

2010:
Under Grad, Grad, GMAT: All the same as 2008
Title: Manager at same Media company (4th year)
Experience: 11 years experience in various IT roles
Creative essay: PDF presentation with various pictures and narrative of my life
Other essays: I modified and made improvements from the 2008 essays. Overall, I think it was better quality.
Recommendation: Much better due to the fact that same guys knew me much better in my 4th year at the company as opposed to 2nd year. I was promoted, so they had a lot more to talk about.
Program: Westchester, Wash Weekends, then Wash Weeknights.

So as you can see in 2008, my undergrad gpa was horrible, my GMAT was ok but not terrific, I did not show very good progression in my career path (non-managerial role), my creative essay was not that creative, and I was too adamant about program option (Wash Weekends only). I was 31, which was a bit on the older side compared to other candidates, but not sure if that was that much of a negative.

There was nothing I can do about my undergrad gpa, and I wasn't willing to retake GMAT again, because that was just too painful especially at 33. So I tried to change all the other negatives. I worked my ass off to get promoted, got bunch of awards etc as bonus points, I got more creative in my creative essay with more visuals etc, and I made program option more flexible. It turns out Westchester was only a 20 minute drive, and it was a better choice than the other options.

So there you go. For all of you guys suffering from bad judgement in college with pisscrap GPA to show for, you can still get into top tier MBA program with hard work and perseverance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
just found this site. I got the letter a few weeks ago and setup email today.

For the 3 options, I've tentatively selected the opposite... yellow, green, blue just due to Monday's being busier days typically at work, and Thursdays' being easier. I'm somewhat indifferent between yellow and green but will look at the professor ratings before deciding I guess.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I chose (1) Blue; (2) Green; (3) Yellow. I'd prefer to be done with classes by Wednesday night, as I travel back and forth to Chicago regularly on the weekends, and sometimes work from my corporate office there on Thursdays and Fridays.

Has anyone received word from NYU that they've passed the Kroll check? I faxed my authorization form in on the morning of Oct 28th and received an email from Kroll later that day that they had "received and processed" the authorization form. However, I believe NYU emails directly when their review of the verification is complete. Has anyone gotten a response from NYU re: Kroll, and if so, what was your timeline?

Everything should be fine, of course...just anxious. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just read the Fall 2010 thread and I officially retract my Kroll timing question. Looks like it was taking an average of six weeks for them, sometimes longer (especially for international students). Yipes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's been a month since I initiated the Kroll process. Last week I was told by Kroll that they couldn't locate the HR department of my old employer, which is a foreign company. Let's just hope that the rest of the background check goes smoothly. Does anyone know if we get a final notification from Kroll once everything is cleared?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
On a different note, how does everyone fund their Langone education? The tuition for 6 credits is 10k+ at the current rate, as I see from the registration page. I am guessing that it will cost 100k+ to finish the program. Does your company reimburse part of the tuition? Do you take out a loan?

Are there any international students applying for loans? I'd like to hear from you. Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Our company might launch a tuition reimbursement program next year but I hear it's a 5k/yr max if they do it. I'm hoping to self fund 50% and loan 50%. I'd like to finish with less than 50k in loans, hopefully much less
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
- My choice of schedule is same as kgold (1) Blue; (2) Green; (3) Yellow. Coincidentally, my reasoning is also the same. I want to be done with the classes for the week by Wed & wanna have 4 days to take care of other personal/study related stuff.

- Health Form - I had my blood work done to find out the shots (MMR) administered when I was young. Expecting to get the results anytime now. This has been a painful thing so far.

- Kroll - I had gotten my verification started in the first week of October. Kroll contacted me twice for some documents which I promptly provided. After that, I haven't heard from them. It has been a month now. Hoping to hear back soon now.

- Finance - This is the trickiest part. Although the tuition is $1500 odd per credit but looks like the cost of the entire course will easily cross 100K. Maybe 115-120K is more realistic estimate taking care of inflation, some random admin fee here & there. Although I might be able to manage this entire sum from my savings but I do not want to be left with zero savings after the course is over. Can somebody suggest what's the best way to take this forward? Shall I take loan? From which financial institution? How much should I take & when? Do I get any income tax rebate if I take a study loan? What are the pros & cons for financing the MBA from your savings? Note - I am an international student.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10