Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Spring 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 12:45
reversemix wrote:
Some people may have sent a waitlist reply that indicated that they are planning to retake the GMAT during the wait so adcom may be waiting for that info. I thought this was just a rumor but I was on the waitlist and they waited until my new GMAT scores came in before admitting me.


If this is indeed true.....then NYU is such a GMAT wh*re......

Whatever happened to "GMAT is only one part of the application that we consider...."

Unless the GMAT score variance is significant, I don't see how NYU should allow this - unless they are indeed a GMAT whore and only care about the rankings. (In my opinion that is).....in the mean time, people on wait-lists are just dying...wondering their fate.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 12:59
ninkorn wrote:
reversemix wrote:
Some people may have sent a waitlist reply that indicated that they are planning to retake the GMAT during the wait so adcom may be waiting for that info. I thought this was just a rumor but I was on the waitlist and they waited until my new GMAT scores came in before admitting me.


If this is indeed true.....then NYU is such a GMAT wh*re......

Whatever happened to "GMAT is only one part of the application that we consider...."

Unless the GMAT score variance is significant, I don't see how NYU should allow this - unless they are indeed a GMAT whore and only care about the rankings. (In my opinion that is).....in the mean time, people on wait-lists are just dying...wondering their fate.

that's certainly one of the ways to look at it. another way would be that they are looking for something that will elevate some candidates above others. That said, I have to agree: they keep talking about a hollistic approach to candidate selection. Would extra 40-50 point make that much of adifference?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 15:38
The recommendation that I got from people in the past that were admitted off the waitlist was that I had to do something to distinguish myself from the rest of the waitlist applicants. Logically, if my application was strong enough the first time then I would've been admitted otherwise I'm just praying for others to give up their spots. So I thought of it not so much as getting a higher GMAT score ( which I did ) but that I was willing to spend the time, money and effort to show them how committed I am to succeeding in the program. NYU is what some would call a "Show me you love me" school.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2008, 21:37
reversemix wrote:
The recommendation that I got from people in the past that were admitted off the waitlist was that I had to do something to distinguish myself from the rest of the waitlist applicants. Logically, if my application was strong enough the first time then I would've been admitted otherwise I'm just praying for others to give up their spots. So I thought of it not so much as getting a higher GMAT score ( which I did ) but that I was willing to spend the time, money and effort to show them how committed I am to succeeding in the program. NYU is what some would call a "Show me you love me" school.


I received both my BS and MS degree from NYU. Personally, I disagree with the way NYU treats lots of their applicants and even current students. NYU began to believe that they will shoot up to the elite tier in both undergrad and grad level for awhile but it hasn't happened.

Although their MBA program is rising through the rankings, I highly doubt it will reach where it aspires to be. Having said that, I feel like NYU is being snotty, especially to their potential applicants. There are other schools (such as Kellogg - elite program for a long time) that seriously show care to each student and make them feel valuable.

Another factor that NYU does this to their part time candidates is the fact that it is the only top part time program in NYC area. Since Columbia doesn't have PT program, and other schools like Fordham, St. Johns, Baruch and Pace aren't even close in terms of quality of education, NYU is pretty much doing whatever they want to.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 05:37
The recommendation that I got from people in the past that were admitted off the waitlist was that I had to do something to distinguish myself from the rest of the waitlist applicants. Logically, if my application was strong enough the first time then I would've been admitted otherwise I'm just praying for others to give up their spots. So I thought of it not so much as getting a higher GMAT score ( which I did ) but that I was willing to spend the time, money and effort to show them how committed I am to succeeding in the program. NYU is what some would call a "Show me you love me" school.

This post was really helpful...what did you do to "show them" while you were waitlisted?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 14:04
Any DB Updates at all? I've been on the waitlist for over a month, and can't like my odds with the last count. Are there any other waitlisters out there? Echo...? Does anyone know what is taking them so long to either ding or accept?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Posts: 224
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 11:33
So to all fellow PT admited students, I had a a question.

I did not realize that NYU approves a student loan only one semester at a time. Being an international student and not a US resident that is just horrible for me, becuase that means once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Please could you some send me a note on how you are dealing with tuition payments through a loan.

Thank you
_________________

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:40
Actually I don't understand your email completely. I applied to Citibank but no response yet.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:42
Why are you saying "NYU approves a student loan"? it's loan not from NYU but from Citibank
Why are you saying "once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply"?


bozo190101 wrote:
So to all fellow PT admited students, I had a a question.

I did not realize that NYU approves a student loan only one semester at a time. Being an international student and not a US resident that is just horrible for me, becuase that means once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Please could you some send me a note on how you are dealing with tuition payments through a loan.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:45
DB 299 as of 10:45pm 12/16

stmarks wrote:
Any DB Updates at all? I've been on the waitlist for over a month, and can't like my odds with the last count. Are there any other waitlisters out there? Echo...? Does anyone know what is taking them so long to either ding or accept?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 06:33
Wow, 299. So here are two questions for anyone that might know:

a) What happens to Waitlisters once they hit 300? Do they ding everyone else, or do they keep the list going in case any of the accepted bow out?

b) Has NYU strayed from their # in the past? Are they likely to go beyond 300 for any reason? (Down economy, endowments might be less than usual...)

...is this it?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 14:04
Congratulations to everyone who got into Stern.

I am a Fall 08 PT admit. Just got through my first semester. I am happy to answer any question that you may have.

I also want to post a shameless advertisement for everyone who's been admitted. I am trying to sell my books (Leadership in Management & Accounting). If you're interested, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 17:20
thanks. If we take 6 credits, how many extra hours do we need to use for study at home?


wkc wrote:
Congratulations to everyone who got into Stern.

I am a Fall 08 PT admit. Just got through my first semester. I am happy to answer any question that you may have.

I also want to post a shameless advertisement for everyone who's been admitted. I am trying to sell my books (Leadership in Management & Accounting). If you're interested, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 51
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 10:14
Citibank approves one semester at a time. I just got approved for Spring. In Spring you reapply for Summer and so and so forth. After one year that is in your second year you can apply for spring and fall together

bozo190101 wrote:
So to all fellow PT admited students, I had a a question.

I did not realize that NYU approves a student loan only one semester at a time. Being an international student and not a US resident that is just horrible for me, becuase that means once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Please could you some send me a note on how you are dealing with tuition payments through a loan.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Posts: 224
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 10:18
I guess I didn't realize that. It wasn't clear to me from their website.

Also, does anyone know if as a PT student w/o tution support from company if recruiting/ career fair options are available to students ?
_________________

Believe in yourself.

Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 11:02
It depends on the class you are taking. My experience is that so far the workload has been manageable. As far as hours outside of class, I'd say it ranges from 0 hours during some weeks to 10 hours during exam/paper due weeks.

But I have heard about other classes that require much more than that (ex. Operations).

welldone2008 wrote:
thanks. If we take 6 credits, how many extra hours do we need to use for study at home?


wkc wrote:
Congratulations to everyone who got into Stern.

I am a Fall 08 PT admit. Just got through my first semester. I am happy to answer any question that you may have.

I also want to post a shameless advertisement for everyone who's been admitted. I am trying to sell my books (Leadership in Management & Accounting). If you're interested, please let me know.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 11:40
Does anybody know where we are supposed to send the "langone program New Student Photo and Directory Authorization" form? I assume that we wouldnt send it to the Bursar's office? Do we send it to the address on the top left corner of the photo and directory authorization form?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 12:33
Is it even worth asking for the latest DB count?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 05:00
DB=301@8:00AM
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Location: Queens, NY
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 11:48
langone08 wrote:
Does anyone know how much to budget for books every semester assuming I take 6 credits


Just finished up my first semester at Stern - I think I spent a little over $200 on books, but that's with digging around online for bargains for that huge Accounting text. Speaking of which, I also wanted to insert my shameless plug if any of you are starting this Spring and needs the text for Accounting - send me a PM if you're interested :P

And congrats to all who were admitted!
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2008, 11:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts NYU Langone Spring 2007 chaitan 76 01 Sep 2006, 20:51
Popular new posts 2 NYU Langone Spring 2008 miketal20 757 05 Jul 2007, 13:29
New posts Still on the waitlist for NYU Stern Langone Spring 2009? stmarks 3 11 Jan 2009, 10:39
Popular new posts NYU Langone Spring 2010 evox 61 27 Sep 2009, 18:55
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 7 NYU Langone - Spring 2011 LEmeY 186 16 Sep 2010, 09:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

NYU Langone Spring 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 190 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.