Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU PT Langone; is it really all that and a bag of chips?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

NYU PT Langone; is it really all that and a bag of chips? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 14:07
There's been no shortage of discussions about the lacking career services offered at NYU for part timers. Having said that I have some questions and assumptions. Can someone please explain the error of my thinking.

1. Word on this forum is: NYU is (arguably) the best part time program out there.
For name recognition, wouldn't UofChicago or Nortwestern (Kellogg), or even UCLA (Anderson) be just as good, if not better? Many of us have probably seen the Forbes rankings of PT programs in 2005 where NYU was #1. May I add that a consolation/secondary school in New York (Fordham) is listed as #9 in the same ranking. Did you guys happen to see where UofC, Kellogg, and Anderson where on that list? Now it's 2008 and on BW's website NYU is down to #25! Doesn't that mean something? Why the hype?

2. Everyone applying to NYU PT are looking for Finance and Consulting jobs.
Wall Street! Seems like many other businesses in NYC operate as some kind of support or secondary services to the Financial sector. Although management consulting is strong in New York as well. I've spoken with numerous alumni and they all work in finance. It seems like the natural progression out of NYU will be a continuation or a beginning to one's finance career. Otherwise, why bother studying PT in NYC?

3. Everyone applying to NYU PT lives in or around New York already.
This is a part time program. Being optimistic one can, feasibly, finish in 2 years but how often does that happen with individuals balancing work as well? Is it logical to move somewhere just to do a part time program which may take longer than 2 years? Two years is long enough, might as well plant some roots, settle down, and get a mortgage.

4. Getting dinged is OK cause those out of NYU can always walk into Fordham, Baruch, or Pace.(the safety less desirable schools)
Last I checked there were tons of PT programs in or around NYC. Some of these programs have full time programs that ARE ranked. Once one graduates there is no distinction on the degree between full time and part time (fairly sure). Pace, Baruch, Fordham, Rutgers. Every school, for the most part, has the same core courses. Knowing that NYU's PT program has some career services issues that need to be worked out, why not go to the other schools for a cheaper education and receive similar if not better assistance finding employment?

Hope I'm not coming off too harsh. As for myself, yes NYU is my top choice. I'm currently in an MBA program overseas but do not wish to finish here. I would like to transfer (yes I'm aware NYU does not accept transfer credit, that was a comment incase I get dinged which would apply to the other schools in the area). Personally I would like to go into Management Consulting and maybe find something fun to do with either the Berkley Center for Entrepreneurial Studies or the Center for Digital Economy Research.

Anyone willing to share their two cents with me?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU PT Langone; is it really all that and a bag of chips? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 06:29
Hey woohaaha!

Interesting questions. I'll try to tackle them with my opinions...

1) Word on this forum is: NYU is (arguably) the best part time program out there... ...why the hype?
NYU is the best part-time show in town in the New York area. US News still ranks NYU Langone as #1.
However, if you live in Chicago, forget NYU and choose between Kellogg and U. Chicago. If you live in LA, go to Anderson. The ranking difference is nothing next to the logistic simplicity and regional brand recognition that these schools will offer you. Furthermore, it’s the full time program’s reputation that is going to determine the brand worth of the school you’re getting your MBA from, not the part time ranking.
So yes, NYU's part time program seems well thought out and first-rate, and it is -by far- the best in NY, but don't place too much importance on that part time ranking.
Why is NYU the best part time program in NY? Why is any top program better? It has a more competitive student body, it retains better professors, it offers better services, and the NYU name looks great on a resume.

2) It seems like the natural progression out of NYU will be a continuation or a beginning to one's finance career...
Finance is the business of New York. It makes sense that NYU caters to the local business environment. As a newly admitted student, it was easy to see the breadth of financial course offerings that NYU puts on the table.
With that said, the course offerings for strategy and leadership (my specializations) are fully developed and quite exceptional compared to other NY area schools. It’s not going to be as good as Harvard or Kellogg, but it will be much better than Fordham and Pace.

3) Everyone applying to NYU PT lives in or around New York already...
To me, it makes sense to attend a part time program in the area in which you intend to settle down. NYU has a great brand name, especially in the New York area. However, NYU’s name will go a lot further in the Northeast than it will on the west coast. The same applies to other schools. Even though NYU is US News’s #1 part time program, if you live in the San Francisco area, you’ll be far better served by a degree from Hass’s part time program.
However, if you are relocating and have no intention of settling long term in the city where you get your degree, then you should decide based on your intended specialization and based on where you’d like to live for ~2.5 years. If you’re a finance person and like a big city, then go to NYU or U. Chicago. If you’re into product management and marketing, go to Kellogg. If you’re an operations person, go to Tepper.

4) Getting dinged is OK cause those out of NYU can always walk into Fordham, Baruch, or Pace.
Mostly true... but after NYU it's a steep drop in the quality of program / school.

Here is the ‘short list’ of NY area part time programs that I put together for myself:

a) NYU
b) Fordham (Strong in management)
c) Baruch (Strong in finance)
d) U Conn. (Ranked full time program, and I had been considering a move to Connecticut)

Rutgers was an interesting option, but it didn't thrill me enough to be worth the longer commute I’d have to make. There was also St. Johns, Pace and Hofstra, but these are far less competitive.

Fordham was the friendliest adcom that I dealt with. They admitted me in days. It helped to have Fordham in the bag when going through the grueling NYU admissions process. But Fordham is not NYU, and even though I liked the program, the school did –not- have that elite electricity that NYU had. If NYU didn't take me, I was seriously considering flying into Kellogg on the weekends, or applying to full time programs... In fact, I was creating the account for my Columbia ED online app when I was notified by NYU.

--------

So to wrap up what has become a much longer post than I intended, NYU is a great program, but there are quite a few elite part time programs out there that are equally worth considering (U Chicago, Kellogg, Hass, Anderson, Tepper, Ross...). When it comes to choosing any one of them, your local school is going to be the best one 95% of the time or more.

However, if you are relocating to attend school part time, than that #1 part time ranking that NYU holds is just a nice merit badge. You can safely ignore it and let other factors, such as your fit at the school, it's reputation in your field and the schools location take precedence.

woohaaha wrote:
There's been no shortage of discussions about the lacking career services offered at NYU for part timers. Having said that I have some questions and assumptions. Can someone please explain the error of my thinking.

1. Word on this forum is: NYU is (arguably) the best part time program out there.
For name recognition, wouldn't UofChicago or Nortwestern (Kellogg), or even UCLA (Anderson) be just as good, if not better? Many of us have probably seen the Forbes rankings of PT programs in 2005 where NYU was #1. May I add that a consolation/secondary school in New York (Fordham) is listed as #9 in the same ranking. Did you guys happen to see where UofC, Kellogg, and Anderson where on that list? Now it's 2008 and on BW's website NYU is down to #25! Doesn't that mean something? Why the hype?

2. Everyone applying to NYU PT are looking for Finance and Consulting jobs.
Wall Street! Seems like many other businesses in NYC operate as some kind of support or secondary services to the Financial sector. Although management consulting is strong in New York as well. I've spoken with numerous alumni and they all work in finance. It seems like the natural progression out of NYU will be a continuation or a beginning to one's finance career. Otherwise, why bother studying PT in NYC?

3. Everyone applying to NYU PT lives in or around New York already.
This is a part time program. Being optimistic one can, feasibly, finish in 2 years but how often does that happen with individuals balancing work as well? Is it logical to move somewhere just to do a part time program which may take longer than 2 years? Two years is long enough, might as well plant some roots, settle down, and get a mortgage.

4. Getting dinged is OK cause those out of NYU can always walk into Fordham, Baruch, or Pace.(the safety less desirable schools)
Last I checked there were tons of PT programs in or around NYC. Some of these programs have full time programs that ARE ranked. Once one graduates there is no distinction on the degree between full time and part time (fairly sure). Pace, Baruch, Fordham, Rutgers. Every school, for the most part, has the same core courses. Knowing that NYU's PT program has some career services issues that need to be worked out, why not go to the other schools for a cheaper education and receive similar if not better assistance finding employment?

Hope I'm not coming off too harsh. As for myself, yes NYU is my top choice. I'm currently in an MBA program overseas but do not wish to finish here. I would like to transfer (yes I'm aware NYU does not accept transfer credit, that was a comment incase I get dinged which would apply to the other schools in the area). Personally I would like to go into Management Consulting and maybe find something fun to do with either the Berkley Center for Entrepreneurial Studies or the Center for Digital Economy Research.

Anyone willing to share their two cents with me?
Re: NYU PT Langone; is it really all that and a bag of chips?   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2008, 06:29