Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
If your application is incomplete (which means missing transcript, recs, gmat/gre scores) you should have been notified by now.
You guys need to be careful not to pigeonhole others or yourselves by GMAT scores and GPA. Stern is truly a holistic process, they look at the whole application and the complete picture. You will see that there will be people with 700+ scores on the gmat that will ultimately be rejected. It is why the recommendations as well as extracurriculars, work experience/history and essays are so important. They actually read essay #3, they are not torturing you for nothing.
Good luck!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
hi am2010,
I am just a student not an admission representative, so I really have no idea aboput the specific answers to many of your questions. A lot of your questions could be best answered if you attend an on campus info session or go for a tour and ask the admissions rep.

I do know that saturday folks tend to go to happy hours after class at 4 pm they also attend weekend and weeknight activities with everyone else. You can only graduate with a finance specialization if you want to do strictly sat classes. If you want other specializations you will have to take electives during the week, weeknight classes are offered at night from 6-9 Mon-Thurs. The daytime classes are for fulltime students and they get priority for those, so you would probably have to wait for add-drop to get into those on a space available basis, but you will have no problem getting into weeknight classes.

Re: core groups, weekend is one core group, westchester is another and then there are 5 cores for weeknight classes. You will only take your core classes with your core group, and even after a semester you may start to separate since people waive out of certain core classes based on undergrad major, proficiency exams, etc. That is part of grad school new classes with new people that expand your network beyond the 60 in your core.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
No, the weekend program is suited for anyone. As I've already said, if you want a specialization other than finance you will have to take some of your electives at night during the week which most weekenders do eventually.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
When you apply you rank order which program options you want to be considered for (weekends, weeknights or westchester), you can also only apply to one or two if you want. You are only accepted into one program option. You will take your core classes in that program. After two semesters you can take classes in the other program options if space is available, after 5 semesters (which include fall, spring, summer) you can register for classes in weeknights, weekends or westchester.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
As has been discussed on this thread, weekends is harder to get into with only 60 spots, whereas there are 300 spots for weeknights in the Fall. Weeknd program also draws applicants that can only do weeknds because they live in PA or other places.

I strongly suggest you spend some time looking around the website to familiarize yourself with the program:
www.stern.nyu.edu

You should also attend an information session at the school (they are listed on the website). I take it you have not yet applied.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
Sure thing. I'm not a very good example as far as admissions timing, I took the GMAT in late October and applied after the deadline but still got my admission notice sometime before Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that was for the Spring session. Here are my stats:

38/F/White
Undergrad GPA: 3.32 (Mathematics/Statistics)
GMAT: 750
Exp: 15 yrs in financial services

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear back!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
Unfortunately no deferment, according to the admission section on website they make you reapply.
Also, you must attend preterm (9/11-9/12), if you don't you can't start, they are very serious about that. There is some leniency for religious observation, but it needs to be approved ahead of time.
So think positive thoughts and block out 9/11-9/12 on your calendars!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU-Langone, Duke, Tuck, IMD, HBS
WE 1: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
I just heard the good news- I'm in for Washington Sq- weeknights program!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations and welcome to Stern to all those accepted! Preterm is 9-6 both days, so it is a full weekend, but totally worth it.
First round acceptances went out today for all three programs. I have a friend who got into Westchester today, too.
Hang in there, it is still very early in the game.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my notification email and acceptance letter - appears they are still in the process of sending some out.

Good luck everybody!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 49

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
If they say they will notify you before August 1st, I'm wouldn't really freak out until July 15th. Then, I know it really is only a matter of days before I find out the truth. But for now, there is a little over 1.5 months until the notification end date.

Also, does anyone know if they review and decide after each application? What if they just haven't gotten to your application yet? No need to worry in that case. Unless they reviewed your application and put it aside. Yeah, that is when I would be a bit worried.

Lastly, does anyone know if anyone was outright dinged yet? If they are, and you haven't received one, then you know you are still in the running!

I hope my little nuggets are calming you all.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting idea arruhbee. It certainly seems strange someone with a 3.9 GPA and 720 GMAT has not heard back (sorry you're getting singled out again) when I heard back with a meaningfully lower GPA (3.149, undergrad) and slightly lower GMAT (710). As stated the application process is holistic, but those other factors are sort of a black box without seeing the whole application, and all we can reasonably compare on this forum are hard numbers like GPA and GMAT, and a 3.9 is exceptional.

I can offer the following information.

I applied very early in the window for this fall's application (2/9/10), and I heard back early (Monday). If an applicant submitted his/her application close to the deadline, the ad com may not have reviewed it as thoroughly yet?

Obviously, my one data point doesn't conclusively support the possibility that they review the applications in some chronological order based on application date.

To take this idea one logical step further, I think it is unlikely to be done based on alphabetical order, because I have heard back and my last name starts with S.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
I took the GMAT in August of 2009 and sent the scores to NYU at that time. I also had my transcripts all ready to go. I basically just missed the deadline for the Spring 2009 program, so I was ready to go right away for the fall 2010 program.

If NYU doesn't have your official GMAT scores or transcripts I doubt they will accept you in writing. Maybe you're in a pile of "as long as the test scores, degrees, and grades this person claims to have are accurate, we will accept him/her, but we need the documentation first to be sure."

Amitlak, while I think it would have been better for you had the error you described not happened, I think it's promising that they asked you. If the information they had was sufficient for them to consider your admission unlikely, they may not have followed up at all.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

Hope to meet you this fall. I heard earlier this week of my acceptance to the Westchester program.

Stats: 740(51q/38v)/3.7 GPA/4.5 years
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone
I just got the email. I got in fr the westchester campus. I'm too excitedddd!!!!
Any1 else got their update?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys, I got in fr the westchester campus! My status was updated at about 11:00 this morning. Here is my profile:

31/F, Asian
GMAT: 690
GPA: 4.0 in Arts and 3.56 in Accounting
W/E: 2 years - accounting associate in a top hedge fund
(2 years - Journalist in radio a few years ago)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
arruhbee, after reading this, I started to check the status website hoping I would see something different. There was nothing. I was so disappointed, thinking maybe I did not write the essays so well.

This whole afternoon I was busy with work and did not have time to even follow World Cup. Then the miracle happened when I click my gmail, I was offered admission to the Langone Program for the Washington Square Weekend option!

Finally some relief, thank God it was not a long wait.

Everyone else, hang in there. It is coming.

Hope to see you guys in the orientation.

arruhbee wrote:
Everytime someone gets an admit, I check the status website. Today it worked! I got accepted into the Weeknights Program! WOO-HOOOOOOOOO!

Did anyone get their actual hard copy acceptance form yet? Somehow I'm owrried that this might be a glitch in the system, but if I have a hard copy in my hands, I know they can't rescind it. Haha.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 49

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
danielmrtns wrote:
Very important question for you all...

An MBA at NYU is amazing. It does not beat getting accepted into Wharton, but in terms of part time studies, this is the best there is. But financing the course is a big deal, since the total tuition cost will be somewhere north of $90k.

How many of you are getting significant assistance from your employers, and how many are going at it mostly with your savings and student loans? Do you feel excited about the admission, but worried about the cost-benefit of actually enrolling and going for it?

Thanks, and congrats to all who are in!!

I'm totally on my own on this one. My employer even refused to write me a rec! So being sponsored is clearly out of the question. Luckily, I've been living at home like the bum I am, so I've been able to save up a pretty hefty amount. I'll probably continue to live at home until I'm done with grad school.

The acceptance was bittersweet for solely that reason. I don't know how I am going to finance it, but I hope something will happen.

Maybe I should start scratching lotto tickets?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
hi guys,
i just got an admit as well for the weeknights program!
looks like the admissions committee has been quite busy today.

as for tuition, my company only covers up to $5000 a year so i'll be financing most of it.
kinda scared to take on so much debt...hopefully it'll be worth it
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
YESSSSSSS!!! Admitted to Washington Sq weekends!!! This has been the most painful process ever but it seems to have paid off! Can't wait to meet all my will-be classmates!
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 17:39