Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 15:50
Hi

Amitlak...I got in today the Washington Square Weekend program.

And yes, there is a deadline ST...you have 3 weeks from the day you get accepted to make a $2000 deposit.

And there is also another registration process/tour. I don't know what this tour entails, but both of these things (deposit + registration) must be completed by 8/10/10.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 16:38
congrats to everyone who got in! hopefully the following days will bring more good news to the the rest of us.

A request/suggestion: could those who post the acceptance news post a quick one line summary of their profile as well in the signatures of their announcement?

Wonder how the offers will be going out - like, every day after today, little by little , or another bunch a few days later? How many went out today, what percentage, I wonder?
As expected, there are more offers being made to the weeknights program compared to the weekend one, going by the posts and assuming that gmatclub is a very popular forum.

PS: @ST1705: I will pray for the chance to join in the cup-cake celebration you will be hosting at Stern this Fall for all of us :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:56
Hi All - I've been watching this thread for a while now and figured i'd join in.

26 (about to be 27)/M
GMAT: 690
Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (top 20 school)
Work Exp: 5yrs - 1 yr with large bank, 4 yrs with hedge fund jr trader / risk analyst
Essays / Recs: should be fine i think/hope
Extras: CAIA charter holder, some charity and volunteer work, lots of sports, and addicted to house re-runs on usa and bravo (not sure if that counts)

congrats to those who have received good news

good luck to those who are still waiting to hear...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 07:02
Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted. One note on the "database" of students - it most likely won't be available until a week or so before orientation. I was accepted last fall and that was my experience.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 09:56
Congratulations stillwaiting. What program are you in?

I am still waiting too...

stillwaiting wrote:
Just got my notification email and acceptance letter - appears they are still in the process of sending some out.

Good luck everybody!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 11:45
What do you mean by the following statement:

"When you apply you rank order which program options you want to be considered for (weekends, weeknights or westchester), you can also only apply to one or two if you want. You are only accepted into one program option. You will take your core classes in that program. After two semesters you can take classes in the other program options if space is available, after 5 semesters (which include fall, spring, summer) you can register for classes in weeknights, weekends or westchester. "

I thought there was one application for the PT MBA program and you rank your choice of preference (weekends, weeknights or westchester). So, if you did not exclude a choice, shouldn't they evaluate your application for all three options?
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 11:53
In the instruction it says if you are unable to attend for one option, you should not put it there. Since weekend is the only option for me, I did not choose the other two.

You can certainly put all three there and rank them, they will evaluate your application for all three I think.

Ubs2010 wrote:
What do you mean by the following statement:

"When you apply you rank order which program options you want to be considered for (weekends, weeknights or westchester), you can also only apply to one or two if you want. You are only accepted into one program option. You will take your core classes in that program. After two semesters you can take classes in the other program options if space is available, after 5 semesters (which include fall, spring, summer) you can register for classes in weeknights, weekends or westchester. "

I thought there was one application for the PT MBA program and you rank your choice of preference (weekends, weeknights or westchester). So, if you did not exclude a choice, shouldn't they evaluate your application for all three options?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 12:20
It's one application, but a question asking you to rank order your choices. You will only be considered for the options you rank order. You can only do one, or do two or do all three, but you have to express a preference.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 49

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 12:45
congrats. stillwaiting! I guess you are no longer waiting! LOL.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 05:51
Seems like it's gone quiet...

Does anyone know if they'll send out acceptances every few days, or if they're going to wait until the 3-week "acceptance period" has passed for the people who've already rec'd letters?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 05:59
I wish I knew but am preparing myself for the worst...

This is a competitive year with lots of uncertainty in the job market. My guess is that most credible applicants will consider the PT program more seriously and hang on to their jobs whilst pursuing an MBA. There is no guarantee where the job market will be headed two years down the road.

I hope I am wrong on this though...
Manager
Manager

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 17:53
So I took langone2009's advice and have been perusing the website for additional information. The Fall 2010 class schedule is up and you can see it here.

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/registrar/schedules/2010FallPT1.html

Based on the class selection, what would your ideal Core Group be?

I'm going to go with Orange simply because I have an aversion to all thing Stat related. I had a horrific experience with it in undergrad.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 18:57
Hi arruhbee, Hi langone2009 (thanks so much for your responsiveness to this forum and for all of your insight!)

Congrats to all that have been accepted!!! I've been monitoring this post for a while now, and couldn't resist the urge not to jump in. Please forgive the onslaught of questions that I'm about to ask.

Like many others on this post, I still haven't heard a response yet, and I'm starting to get anxious. NYU obviously accepts and
notifies the top tier candidates right away. Today was pretty quiet, and I assume that the adcom is now embarking on a wait-and-see strategy. My question is - are all applications holistically ranked before any acceptance offers go out? If so, does NYU then just simply go down the totem pole and send out acceptances in short bursts? Or is there another method of how they make their way down the rank list? i.e., do they do it according to GMAT score, where those who scored 700+ are the first to get evaluated & notified before they even begin to look at GMATs, say, between 650 and 690 range? Would an average GMAT score even have the chance of making the first cut for either Wash. Sq. weekends or nights? Please tell me if my assumptions are totally off base.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 22:24
Hello, all!

I got notification on Monday that I have been accepted! I am very happy (now I have to figure out how to cover the costs!). All the way down this message are my "credentials".

To those who are anxious to hear from the school, take a deep breath and calm down.This was just the first wave of acceptance communications. Remember that the PT program is not nearly as competitive as the FT-equivalent, and roughly every other applicant gets accepted (~50%). So if your scores are decent, your professional history is alright, you have a very good shot at it.

Good luck to all!!

GMAT: 700, AWA 6.0
GPA: 3.8 (Ohio State)
Experience: 4 years in Corporate Finance at two large companies
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 22:32
Vlookup2010 wrote:
I just heard the good news for Washington Square weeknights - since I know you'll inevitably ask, here you go:

26/M
GMAT: 760
GPA: 4.0 Economics from an Ivy
Work experience: Management consultant at top-tier firm for 4 years

Can't wait to meet everyone at pre-term - good luck to everyone!

Wow, look at your crazy GMAT and GPA and everything... congrats!!! I will see you in September!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 03:37
I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for quite a while! Congrats to everyone who got in!

Of course, it's making me rather antsy that I haven't heard... will add my stats to the list.

Best of luck all!

GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.9
EC: Mentorship/Alumni Association + school clubs and athletics
Work Experience: 3+ years at a major financial firm
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 05:25
Upsilon4,

Sorry I don't know how the admissions process works to the degreee that you've asked. All I can say is it is holisitic. I had a 650 GMAT and heard first round last summer. As you can see SternGirl 2010 has a 720 GMAT and 3.9 GPA (sorry to singel you out) and hasn't heard yet. It really is holistic, it's not about a certain GMAT score or GPA. You guys need to stop putting so much weight on GMAT scores. In my opinion you need a complete application that tells a great story of who you are and how you will contribute to stern and why it is the place for you as evidenced through essays, while high GMAT/GPA is helpful it is not the be all and end all.
Adcom has until Aug 1st to notify you, so stop freaking out or it will be a long summer!
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 05:34
Typo....
Meant to say
"In my opinion you need a complete application that tells a great story of who you are and how you will contribute to stern and why it is the place for you as evidenced through essays, WORK EXP, RECS, EXTRA CURRIC" while high GMAT/GPA is helpful it is not the be all and end all."
Manager
Manager

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 05:42
The only way I won't be freaking out is by obsessing over the WorldCup. It starts tomorrow guys!! WOO-HOO.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 06:54
wow, someone here in the US likes WorldCup, that is good.

I too hope WorldCup can keep me away from my email for a while.

arruhbee wrote:
The only way I won't be freaking out is by obsessing over the WorldCup. It starts tomorrow guys!! WOO-HOO.
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2010, 06:54