Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 49

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:56
Everytime someone gets an admit, I check the status website. Today it worked! I got accepted into the Weeknights Program! WOO-HOOOOOOOOO!

Did anyone get their actual hard copy acceptance form yet? Somehow I'm owrried that this might be a glitch in the system, but if I have a hard copy in my hands, I know they can't rescind it. Haha.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU-Langone, Duke, Tuck, IMD, HBS
WE 1: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 08:00
Congratulation ! Yes, I received my admission letter and other information within two days of online notification.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 08:09
hi ST1705,

yes, weekend was my first choice. I live/work in NJ, so weeknights would have been quite difficult. Game or not, I will feel much better tonight :)
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 08:11
congrats arruhbee! May this week bring more good news!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 09:26
Very important question for you all...

An MBA at NYU is amazing. It does not beat getting accepted into Wharton, but in terms of part time studies, this is the best there is. But financing the course is a big deal, since the total tuition cost will be somewhere north of $90k.

How many of you are getting significant assistance from your employers, and how many are going at it mostly with your savings and student loans? Do you feel excited about the admission, but worried about the cost-benefit of actually enrolling and going for it?

Thanks, and congrats to all who are in!!
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 09:56
I see that the acceptances have been trickling in here and there. From what it sounds like, no one has gotten dinged either. I guess Stern doesn't notify folks that are getting dinged on this rolling basis, my guess is they probably just notify everyone who's getting dinged on 8/1.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:03
congrats ukyo and nyuadmit. Ukyo, I will see you in the weekend class :)

They seem to be going at a good pace this week. I guess good news is in store for other posters too in the next few days. My guess is that NYU has still not covered any substantial portion of the seats available.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:12
Congratulations arruhbee! Since you pulled everyone together on this thread I was really, really pulling for you!

FYI, and only since it was asked, I received approval and qualified for tentative (tentative, because basically my company reserves the right to change its mind at any time) tuition reimbursement program at my company. Within this program I receive full reimbursement of tuition retroactively for every course where I get an A or a B (non-tuition expenses are my own, but obviously this is still a big, big help). I understand I am very, very lucky to work at a company that offers this program, and as someone still paying off undergrad student loans from college I paid for (and am paying for, I graduated 10 years ago!) mostly by myself, I am very sympathetic to cost concerns.

My main concern is that I need to get an A or B to get reimbursed. My understanding is that in most graduate programs (business or otherwise) a B or better is needed to pass a class. However, at Stern I think you can pass with less than a B (can a current student comment)? I think Stern's policy will make it harder for me to earn a B (if you need a B to pass, don't they have to give most people at least a B?). On top of that, I know Stern will be tougher than most programs, but that A or B rule is one size fits all. So I'm concerned, but not enough to turn down admission.

That concern aside, my main concern is that I will enter a business program with minimal business training (so I'll have to compensate for that with extra work) while working a full time job with a 2.5 year old, and a 0.5 year old at home. Without a doubt, that is my primary concern.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:28
my situation re: funding is very similar to drsparnum's. Counting on company tuition reimb. program to cover most of it, and to match any shortfall with my own funds. In this economy, more is being demanded of everyone at work, and cannot afford to have anything fall short there as well.

For the female candidates: you might want to look into Forte fellowships as NYU/Stern is a participant in it. Not sure if it applies for part-time, but might warrant further investigation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:38
Congratulations to all of you incoming Sternies! Hopefully the rest of you will hear good news soon.

dsparnum, don't worry, just be happy your employer is covering tuition! For core classes (which are what you will be taking fo the first year and a half), Stern has a curve. 35% of the class will get an A or A-. The remaining 65% will get a B+ or lower. As long as you go to class, participate, keep up with the assignments and apply yourself you should not have trouble getting the B you need for reimbursement. Just don't come in late or text during class. The professors at Stern are great, if you are having trouble with a particular class or grasping a topic, talk to your professor early and often. If you don't do well on an exam or paper, talk to the professor. The TA's can be really helpful, too. Unlike with other MBA programs the Stern faculty is on your side. They love what they do and want to see you succeed. The program is definitely hard and a lot of work, but worth it. Everyone in the PT program is also working with families or other committments so we are all in the same boat.
Also, don't freak out about not having experience, you are getting your MBA because you want to learn about all of this, if you came in knowing it there would be no need for the program, so relax and don't be afraid to ask questions in class. Chances are there are at least 5 other people with the same question!

Enjoy the rest of the summer, see everyone at pre-term!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:59
So, I figured I'd finally chime in, applied for weeknights... no word yet, but here's my profile:

31/white/3.4 (high honors in major + spent 1 yr abroad)/610/5.0/10 yrs in market research, advertising, media within two large global organizations/I also involve myself in the community and compete in various sports

Fingers crossed... the anticipation is killing me :?

Congrats to all of you that already received the good news!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 16:30
I know the GMAT score plays an important part. what about the recommendations? how important are the recommendations in the application process when apply for NYU Langone program? any advice? thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 18:03
Drsparnum, you sure are lucky that your employer will cover your tuition costs. I would not be too concerned about the guidelines regarding the A or B. Do your best in class and, if you fall short in one or two courses, hopefully that will not break the bank.

And good luck with the kids at home. I keep thinking about financing the course as one of the biggest challenges an applicant can face, but I never really thought about all the multitasking that you will need to do as a worker, a husband and a dad. Good luck and congrats!

drsparnum wrote:
Congratulations arruhbee! Since you pulled everyone together on this thread I was really, really pulling for you!

FYI, and only since it was asked, I received approval and qualified for tentative (tentative, because basically my company reserves the right to change its mind at any time) tuition reimbursement program at my company. Within this program I receive full reimbursement of tuition retroactively for every course where I get an A or a B (non-tuition expenses are my own, but obviously this is still a big, big help). I understand I am very, very lucky to work at a company that offers this program, and as someone still paying off undergrad student loans from college I paid for (and am paying for, I graduated 10 years ago!) mostly by myself, I am very sympathetic to cost concerns.

My main concern is that I need to get an A or B to get reimbursed. My understanding is that in most graduate programs (business or otherwise) a B or better is needed to pass a class. However, at Stern I think you can pass with less than a B (can a current student comment)? I think Stern's policy will make it harder for me to earn a B (if you need a B to pass, don't they have to give most people at least a B?). On top of that, I know Stern will be tougher than most programs, but that A or B rule is one size fits all. So I'm concerned, but not enough to turn down admission.

That concern aside, my main concern is that I will enter a business program with minimal business training (so I'll have to compensate for that with extra work) while working a full time job with a 2.5 year old, and a 0.5 year old at home. Without a doubt, that is my primary concern.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 18:11
Thanks for the response. I feel your pain, and this is exactly why I asked. I have all the reasons to "accept the acceptance", but I will be mostly handling the costs on my own as well, except for $10k or $15k maximum, which should come from my employer. I was (maybe still am) afraid that NYU's PT program is mostly worth the investment for those who have a good chunk of the costs covered by the employer. I, on the other hand, would have to rely heavily on student loans, even after using up part of my savings. Gladly, it seems that I am not the only one on this boat.

arruhbee wrote:
danielmrtns wrote:
Very important question for you all...

An MBA at NYU is amazing. It does not beat getting accepted into Wharton, but in terms of part time studies, this is the best there is. But financing the course is a big deal, since the total tuition cost will be somewhere north of $90k.

How many of you are getting significant assistance from your employers, and how many are going at it mostly with your savings and student loans? Do you feel excited about the admission, but worried about the cost-benefit of actually enrolling and going for it?

Thanks, and congrats to all who are in!!

I'm totally on my own on this one. My employer even refused to write me a rec! So being sponsored is clearly out of the question. Luckily, I've been living at home like the bum I am, so I've been able to save up a pretty hefty amount. I'll probably continue to live at home until I'm done with grad school.

The acceptance was bittersweet for solely that reason. I don't know how I am going to finance it, but I hope something will happen.

Maybe I should start scratching lotto tickets?
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 05:14
I'm still waiting to hear back, but I figured I'd chime in on the tuition assistance. I'm one of the lucky few who will have tuition covered 100%, including books, etc. (with the "B" requirement).

I'm starting to get a bit nervous... another of my friends from work just got accepted for washington sq. weeknights. Same undergrad institution except he was an econ major, 650 GMAT, about a year less of experience vs. my own (he probably has 3 years), and no certification. I'd really like to know SOMETHING by the end of the week... but it seemed like last week notifications were only sent out on Mon/Tues...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 05:40
congrats to arruhbee, ukyo and the new admits...
arruhbee since u started the thread and brought everyone togather, we were really hoping fr u to get in !!!
even though im excited abt the admit, im still worried abt the money part...
its always a risk to take such a huge educational loan i guess!!!
meanwhile, i also got admits from fordham and pace w/ $$$
i know tht pace dosen't compare with NYU but its hard to ignore the $$$ and money saved in loans and interest payments....
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 06:06
Posting the link to the spreadsheet on this page too for convenience

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 06:12
I know it's easier said than done, and I don't have a crystal ball, but I wouldn't freak out too much ChickenDinner. Your GPA looks good to me, and your GMAT falls comfortably within the percentile ranges for NYU (620-730).
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 07:08
hang in there, ChickenDinner, from what I have seen there is really no order how they send out acceptances.

ChickenDinner wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear back, but I figured I'd chime in on the tuition assistance. I'm one of the lucky few who will have tuition covered 100%, including books, etc. (with the "B" requirement).

I'm starting to get a bit nervous... another of my friends from work just got accepted for washington sq. weeknights. Same undergrad institution except he was an econ major, 650 GMAT, about a year less of experience vs. my own (he probably has 3 years), and no certification. I'd really like to know SOMETHING by the end of the week... but it seemed like last week notifications were only sent out on Mon/Tues...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 09:16
Just out of curiosity... of those who were already admitted, when did you submit your application? Was it on the deadline or substantially before?

Have any "last minute" applicants heard back yet?
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2010, 09:16