Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 49

NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 09:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've been looking for this thread, but maybe it hasn't started up yet! Wanted to know if anyone else out there is applying to NYU's Langone Program for the Fall 2010?

I'm trying for the Weeknights program with a concentration in Corporate Finance

My profile:

23/f/African-American
GPA - 3.2 from top Liberal Arts School (Spanish major)
GMAT - > Taking it on May 1st after studying for 7 months. Last practice test score was a 650!
Recs -> Completed. Both done
Essays -> Putting the final touches on those bad boys!
W/E -> 2.5 years with the same company (breakdown: 1 year in HR, 1 year in O&S Finance).

Not sure if this matters, but I'm also applying to Zicklin and Fordham.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Rubystone:

1) I am not sure of class distribution, we are a good mix though. When you get accepted you will have access to a student database of your classmates as they get admitted which shows this info.

2) I also don't know attrition rate. Everyone in my core group stayed, all though some switched to classes in the city because their job moved or they waived out of core classes and were ready for electives (there is a greater selection at Washington Square). SOme people slowed down their program others sped up as I mentioned in prior post.

3) I don't know that my early admission was based on my work experience. Stern really is a holistic process so they look at the whole package including work experience, academics, GMAT, recs and extra curriculars (I had a lot of those, too), as well as essay #3. They really want to get a sense of what kind of person you are and how you will contribute to Stern. I think I was first round of acceptances, I know people who did not hear until August, so I think it just depends. I was almost reluctant to tell you guys when I got accepted because I didn't want you freaking out if you didn't hear something next week. Stern has until August to notify you, so try ot remain calm!

4) It really is a mix of employee sponsored vs self sponsored, not so much of an issue for PT as it is for EMBA. A few get full sponsorship from co, others get some reimbursement and many of us are paying for it all ourselves. I really don't think this figures into the admisisons process.

5) I am in Westchester so our class draws from Westchester, CT, the city (some work out here) and New Jersey. I think the crazy commute stories ar for the weekend folks who come in form Boston, Philly or other places.

Try to remain calm while you wait and good luck! There really is a lot of info on the stern website, so look around while you are waiting.
Have any of you guys applied to the Westchester program?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 15:46
This post received
KUDOS
Another question I had - from what you have seen, what is the number/fraction of students with 10+ yeas of experience in a batch? I have read here and elsewhere that Stern does welcome candidates in that range, so I am not concerned about that being of any negative impact in the admissions. Still, it will be helpful to know in what range, etc.

Hi, I'm also a current Langone student (started the weekend program in February) and, although langone2009 has done a great job answering your questions, I can weigh in specifically on the above. You are correct in that Stern does welcome students with more than 10 years of experience - I am one myself, with more than 15 years in my field. In my group of 60 I would guess something like a quarter to a third of us fit in the 10+ category. Of course the weekend crowd will most likely skew older because we are more likely to have families, but that should give you an idea.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
I just heard the good news for Washington Square weeknights - since I know you'll inevitably ask, here you go:

26/M
GMAT: 760
GPA: 4.0 Economics from an Ivy
Work experience: Management consultant at top-tier firm for 4 years

Can't wait to meet everyone at pre-term - good luck to everyone!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Got in Washington Square weekends...My profile:
27/M/Indian
GMAT: 720
GPA: 4.0 Masters in MIS from Texas A & M
Work experience: Management consulting at different firms for 3 years

Can't wait to meet everyone, All the best!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern/Fordham/Rutgers
WE 1: 3 years

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
I got into the Washington Square Weeknights program!!! So excited.

By the way, I haven't received an email yet, I just happened to check the website. When you log in there may be a button on the bottom that says "View Status Letter". I am assuming the server is swamped with all the notifications going out right now, so I will probably get it shortly. And I don't know if I will believe it until I get the official letter! But you might want to check your websites if you haven't received an email yet. Good luck!

:-D
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
congrats to the new admits.

I have a spreadsheet capturing the offers etc so far, as posted in this forum. If I hear no objections, I shall be posting it as a google doc for everyone to see/add-to tomorrow.

(edited later)

okay here we go:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AszVC43jUpdadGFzRlpZZVptckNCdkdkX0VUcER5LUE&hl=en

Last edited by am2010 on 11 Jun 2010, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted to Wash Sq Weeknights (first choice). I wasn't at all confident so I've not posted. However I think the spreadsheet was/will be quite helpful for those still waiting to hear.

28/F
GMAT: 640 (much higher verbal score)
GPA: 3.8 B.S. large state university, retailing emphasis
W/E: 6+ years in big box store CHQ (e.g. inventory mgmt, buying, sourcing, etc).
EC: not much
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Schools: Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 49

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
I also wanted to say that I checked my status around 11:30 AM. I just received the e-mail from NYU minutes ago. Or, my blackberry is delayed...
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
I copied this from an old thread (by user Tenore on the fall 2008 thread). it's an analysis of the fall 2007 admission timeline.

nyu-langone-fall-59931-100.html
(second to last post)

assuming the process hasn't changed much in the past few years, looks like the majority of notifications haven't gone out yet.

hopefully this makes you a little less anxious :)

Timeline facts:

~ 15% of admits notified in first 4 weeks.
~ 50% of admits notified by 2nd week of July.
~ 90% of admits notified by August.
~ 65% (290) of admits notified between July 4th and Aug 3rd, making July the busiest month.

The Timeline:

May 15: Deadline passes / App review begins
May 23: First GMAT club member admitted (checkitout)
June 19: 75 students admitted (according to the admitted student d-base)
June 27: 108 admitted
June 27: First GMAT club member rejected (RCReddy)
July 04: 130 admitted
July 13: 230 admitted (huge jump!)
July 22: 262 admitted
July 24: 288 admitted
July 25: 306 admitted
Aug 03: 420 admitted
Aug 09: Some waitlisted folks get in.
Aug 09: 440 admitted
Aug 17: 447 admitted
Aug 20: Several reject notices went out.

Note 1: It takes a few days for an admit to pay the deposit and show up in the database.
Note 2: Data is from the gmat club ‘NYU Langone Fall 2007’ thread

Observations and assumptions:

- Most of those who are admitted in the first 4 weeks have super strong profiles.
- Having a high gmat score does not mean you’ll know sooner. Aurora73 gets in on Jul 18th with a 760 gmat.
- Submitting early or late seems to have no effect on when you get notification.
- Notifications typically come on Tuesdays and Fridays (needs confirmation).
- 2 gmat clubbers get off the waitlist in early August.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
My very first post on GC. Applied about two weeks ago and have just been notified of my acceptance into the Weeknights program. My profile is as follows:

GMAT: 710
WE: 8.5 yrs of Big 4 accounting and internal audit
Career Interest: Buy-side/Sell-side equity research

I look forward to meeting all of you in person. Do we have a facebook group? It would be nice to have a get together in the city prior to orientation. In the meantime, enjoy your summers.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern Part-time

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 1

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
OMG OMG I got in!!! Washington Square weeknights!!! I can't believe it!! Even with the 590 GMAT!!

Everyone out there with a low GMAT, please do no lose heart - I am living proof that IT CAN BE DONE!!!!

Can't wait to meet you all in the fall!!!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
Got into Washington - Weeknights.
660 (Q45, V35)
GPA - 3.2 Accounting and Information Systems
Exp - 5.5 years / Senior Accountant / Private Equity
Essay #3 - sent few objects with a brief sentence on how each related to my personal and professional life.

Good luck all.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 3

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
I just got accepted for Washington Weeknights yesterday... I'm a reapplicant... previously had applied for FT, was waitlisted and then rejected.

32/M
GMAT: 690
GPA: 3.2 (mech e)
WE: 10 years of management / IT consulting
Good recs
Spent a lot of time on my essays... felt it was a solid app - then again, I thought my FT app was solid... :)

A few questions:
- Does anyone know of a detailed breakdown for cost of attendance? The table on the Stern site doesn't make sense to me (e.g. 12 credits is actually less than the tuition and fees they have listed if working off of the $1,515 per credit... would love to really understand the cost better... what would "Misc" that they have at $4,960 be?
- At a high-level... appears it's pretty much 2 classes a week (6pm - 9pm) for duration of program - am I understanding that right?
- Where does the schoolID for Kroll come from?

Very excited to meet everyone!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys. Nice to meet you here. I am also applying for the Langone program. I am kind of stuck on essay 1. How do you articulate your Professional Aspirations within 250 word limit? Anyone can share some ideas?

29/M
GPA - 3.1 under / 3.6 grad
GMAT - 730
WE - 4.5 yr in engineering
Rec's - still waiting
Essays - work in progress
Havent applied to anywhere else, NYU or bust.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hi arruhbee:

I am a current Langone student. I began the Westchester program in Fall 2009 and would be happy to answer your questions. So fire away!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi aruhbee:
Stern was definitely the right choice for me, I didn't apply anywhere else and a year in I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. Stern is stellar on the academics but there is also a great community so you can get as involved as you want to. I mentioned I'm in Westchester, but still belong to a bunch of clubs (Grad Mktg Assoc, Luxury & Retail, Stern Women in Bus.). At pre-term they do an expo of all the clubs and you can put your name on the mailing lists and meet the officers/members.
Core Groups are great, lots of opportunities for fun and bonding. I am actually the core group leader for my core. You will nominate and vote on core group leaders after pre-term. I am self employed so have a little more flexibility than others, but the great thing about Stern is you can go as slow or as fast as you want to. If people are busy at work they may take only one class that semester or some skip one of the summer sessions becasue they have travel plans or are getting married. I have a few friends in pharma who may get laid off and are planning to speed up their progression and get done sooner. Some classes have midterms and finals, others just papers/projects/presentations, it depends on the class and the professor. I'm not a big fan of tests, but that usually means less work week to week. You will pick your study group at preterm after you get to know each other... just make sure you are all on the same page about when, where, how you want to meet.
Essay #3 I wrote about a yearly party I throw. Oh and they don't share your essay #3 with your classmates.
I think that answers all of your questions. Feel free to post more or you can private message me. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Ukyo:
Yes your understanding of core groups is correct, 1 weekend, 1 westchester, 5 weeknight for Fall. In the spring, it's a smaller class so they only do 5 total with three weeknight.
I began Fall 2009. My year was an exception and for the first time they did 2 weekend core groups, then for spring they were back to one. I don't know what they are planning for the new Fall class. I would guess it depends on applications if they go with one or two core groups on weekends.
Yes, you are also corrective that weekends are most comepetitive only because there are fewer spots relative to the number of people who are applying and there are many like yourself who apply only to weekends. Weekends also draw from other states, so people who could not do weeknights or westchester.
Core groups generally have around 60 students in each. Fall registration is around 450 and spring around 300. If you search around the website you can ferret out a lot of this info.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hi beebu,
A typical class is absolutely balanced among all specializations. Since you can have up to three specializations some people select finance as one of them since Stern is known for finance. There are many great specializations that are very popular and by no means is finance the be all ansd end all. Here is a link to the complete list of specializations:

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/academic/affair ... oc_id=5975
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
tt11234,
We are NOT treated like second class citizens, at all. NYU Stern has a great sense of community and the part time student body is fully embraced. We have representation on the student government and in all clubs. We have the same faculty as the fulltime students and we all play together nicely. The administration and faculty are very receptive to us. With the exception of on campus recruiting part time students can and do participate in all activities, events, programs that full time students do. We have the Career Center for Working Professionals that is a great resource for us and we have access to job postings through clubs, etc. When I applied to Stern I figured I would go to class and that would be it, but the Stern community is very welcoming and you can't help but become involved and participate. If you get in, you will have access to everything that full-time students do, with the exception of on campus recruiting, plus the langone program does a lot with part time students in mind. Because we are working we can not alwys attend event durign the day, but are more than welcome to. Stern is a great school and experience, if you get in and can become part of it you should consider yourself lucky. I don't know that any part time program can provide the experience that stern does, certainly not the ones in the tri-state area.
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010   [#permalink] 31 May 2010, 17:52