Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern School of Business [#permalink]
Kudos
mlchang616 wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in applying to NYU for its strong emphasis and placement in the financial service industry.

I've been told that NYU is very much a commuter school with so central focal point for mba students to gather. I have not visited the school and was wondering whether you could comment on that.

Thanks,
-M

I am going to hear this misnomer till the day I die. I can't see how Stern is any more a commuter school than Columbia for full time, or Chicago from the Part time. The Full Time students all live in New York, maybe one person I know has a family out in New Jersey or somesuch. Space is a commodity - it is downtown New York, and you find that out pretty sharp when you try to rent an apartment.

That said, I have never found a frustration for space in the school - the majority of the building is exclusive to the Grad students (swipe access), I have never really had a problem getting a space to study (room for a team meeting or individual), except on one or two days when Damodaran had set a deadline for the project or final exam, as that meant 400 people were trying to do the same.

For lack of clear identified hang-outs you find in rural or campus schools, there is hardly a shortage of bars. Or events. Or birthdays. Same as any school where you have a bunch of people together. If anything, Stern is quite tight knit in the way it works on the FT, which is counter to the commuter tag. There are about 400 in each year (compared to 700 at Columbia), which means you get to know most people.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I would suggest asking in the Admissions Consultants part of the forum. The admissions process is soooooo random (I was rejected/waitlisted at two lesser schools and got into my top one) so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
solaris1 wrote:
jsnooky33 / 3underscore, not sure if you're able to answer this but is it true that Stern traditionally has not done that well in placing its students into Management Consulting positions, specifically those focusing on strategy as opposed to marketing, operations etc.? In fact, I don't think I was even able to find a "consulting club" or the like on Stern's website.

I'm really enthusiastic about Stern as a school and what appears to be a fantastically close student community, but its reputation as a Wall Street feeder bothers me a little.

I'm going to focus on the marketing, strategy and entrepreneurial coursework offered at Stern, but my short-term goal is going to be a consulting position and I was wondering if you could provide me with some additional perspective?

Thanks very much!

Sorry about the long delay, I forgot how much work moving was... To be honest, Stern doesn't seem to be as strong in consulting as compared to finance. Deloitte is the biggest consulting sponsor, but I know we have McKinsey too. Today was literally the first day on campus so I can fill you in better when the recruiting process gets under way. There is a really useful club, called the MCA: https://nyustern-mca.ecampusgroups.com/ ... r=1&id=162. I'd recommend sending an e-mail to one of the contacts for more in-depth consulting info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
jsnooky33 wrote:
I'd love to help out some fellow gmatclubbers with NYU questions. Over the next few weeks I'll start putting up some information.

Hi,

Can you post the median stats of past NYU admits. Also, it would be helpful to post info that applicants in general dont already obtain from nyu website or in info-sessions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I am interested in applying to NYU for its strong emphasis and placement in the financial service industry.

I've been told that NYU is very much a commuter school with so central focal point for mba students to gather. I have not visited the school and was wondering whether you could comment on that.

Thanks,
-M
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi jsnooky33, I am currently waitlisted at NYU Stern for the full-time program. I am going to visit the school again in the next few weeks. Do you know any current students that would perhaps be willing to meet with me? I live pretty close to the city so I can pretty much visit whenever. Do you have any other helpful advice that you picked up during the application process? Thanks for your help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
policy wrote:
Can you post the median stats of past NYU admits. Also, it would be helpful to post info that applicants in general dont already obtain from nyu website or in info-sessions.

Hey Policy, I'm not sure on what you are looking for the stats. A good place to check would be the admissions411.com site. On the other stuff, I'll hopefully be putting up some information soon. The biggest thing I noticed with Stern was to just be yourself. The students are pretty laid back and the admissions office seemed like they really tried to get to know you during the application process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Yes, I am basically planning on just walking around and I definitely intend to approach some students as I have heard, from a number of people, that Stern students are very open to talking to prospective students/applicants. I am actually waitlisted without an interview but I do plan on stopping by the admissions office. Although, I am not really sure what to expect or what this will actually accomplish. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. This will all work out one way or another.....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I will be in NYC next week and I also plan to visit Stern. ALthought when I asked the admissions office about class visits, they told me that class visits are not available at this time except for students currently on WL. I definitely want to talk to some students and take advantage of my visit since I am coming all the way from the West Coast. Jsnooky, would you be interested in meeting up next week?

-M
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The WL for classes only is a red-herring. Full time classes finished a couple of weeks ago.

I will be about after the weekend (I am, apparently, now an MBA2) - feel free to give me a shout. They are still doing tours though. I saw Isser doing one the other day (god knows why he was on it mind). Otherwise I can show you around. It is a bit of a ghost town right now, except for all the people studying for the CFA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi buddy,

I have some concerns regarding my profile whether it suits the like of Top 15 US B school. i want to move to pvt quity so i am keen to join a good finance school like Stern, Chicago, Wharton, Yale.....also how z Darden for finance ...
i am planning to apply for 2011 graduating class. My profile:
Chartered accountant
Age 24
Work exp till date: 22 months
Current employer: Irevna research services (KPO of std & Poor's) in equity research
Past exp: Statutory audits with Deloitte

How does the profile look on paper. my concern is being employed with a KPO will adversely affect my profile???????

Will give my Gmat in Aug 08 as i was busy till june with my CFA level1 exam......Do you think i m too late to appear for Gmat. I believe ideally i should have appeared sometime in May- June.
Please suggest
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm curious what you guys/gals did for your personal expression. Did you all just write another essay or did you submit something?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I put together a powerpoint that was kind of a game for the adcom to find out what I do outside of work.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
jsnooky33 / 3underscore, not sure if you're able to answer this but is it true that Stern traditionally has not done that well in placing its students into Management Consulting positions, specifically those focusing on strategy as opposed to marketing, operations etc.? In fact, I don't think I was even able to find a "consulting club" or the like on Stern's website.

I'm really enthusiastic about Stern as a school and what appears to be a fantastically close student community, but its reputation as a Wall Street feeder bothers me a little.

I'm going to focus on the marketing, strategy and entrepreneurial coursework offered at Stern, but my short-term goal is going to be a consulting position and I was wondering if you could provide me with some additional perspective?

Thanks very much!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
jsnooky3/ 3underscore,

Thanks for your words of wisdome. I have always heard a lot about NYUs strong links with the media industry. Could you tell me a bit about NYUs media industry links ? What are the typical opportunities for a career change into the media industry ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I plan to apply for NY Stern, this year, i will have 4 years of work ex by next June. I work as a Software Engg,I have a GMAT score of 690.

I am also involved into Investing into Stock Markets, and i have a great Interest for Investing,i do blogging,even where i have written some articles on Investing and Financial Markets, although they are at a beginner's level.

Do u think i can go ahead and apply for NY Stern for MBA? Do i stand a chance?

Thanks,
Ram
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ashaker wrote:
jsnooky3/ 3underscore,

Thanks for your words of wisdome. I have always heard a lot about NYUs strong links with the media industry. Could you tell me a bit about NYUs media industry links ? What are the typical opportunities for a career change into the media industry ?

Oh yeah, there are definitely a lot of students looking to go into media related jobs. I don't know much about the opportunities (I'm going for investment banking) but there are a couple of clubs here that can help you out: https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/studentactiviti ... oc_id=3660.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2